Edirol R-09 vs. Zoom H4
New Reply
Subscribe
gtichy
2nd November 2006
Old 2nd November 2006
Gear nut

Edirol R-09 vs. Zoom H4

I'm looking for a simple, "in the gig bag" recording device to tape gigs and rehearsals. I'm having trouble deciding between these two units...I have only read great reviews of the R-09 and the only criticsm I've read of the H4 is that Zoom makes it.

I can get the Zoom for $250 from the store where I teach, but the edirol is $350+ on eBay. I have no interest in the bells and whistles on the zoom (mic modeling etc...), but I did hear a recording made with it of a friends band in a room I'm familiar with, and it was better than I expected. I have no experience with the sound quality of the edirol.

I also have an AT Pro-24 stereo condenser with an 1/8" jack (that looks exactly like the small mic they sell as an upgrade accessory for the edirol). The zoom doesn't have an 1/8th in, but has 2 XLRs (which probably are garbage)...I could always sell the AT and use my C1000's with the Zoom, but having a tight little package with the edirol is more appealing. Besides, I'd use the internal mics more often.

The bottom line for me is: which unit sounds better? The edirol seems more convenient, but saving over $100 is conveneint too. Can anyone say for sure that the edirol sounds better with the internal mic and external mics?

Also Zoom products seem like pretty cheesey, bells and whisltles, cheap stuff - but again, this is just to have for reference material and "work" CDs.

Any advice would be appreciated!!!
2nd November 2006
Old 2nd November 2006
Gear addict

no advice, but i am trying to choose between these two units as well and have a few thoughts.

First, $250 for the zoom is a killer price. FYI: You can get the edirol from bpmmusic for $340 shipped.

I am leaning towards the edirol due to the smaller size (approx 2.5x4x1 vs 2.7x6x1.4)

I have no interest in the extra bells and whistles on the zoom, i only want stereo recording, and I will use the internal mics 75% of the time.

Zoom: I do like the XLRs and phatom power on the zoom, while the XLRs are certainly cheap, I assume you can end up with overall beter quality by using them with a good set of condersors.

Edirol: I hate the 1/8 external mic input on the edirol. I deal with that with my current mini disk, and would prefer to be done with that.

good luck (to you AND me!)
gtichy
2nd November 2006
Old 2nd November 2006
Gear nut

Yeah, man, the only reason that the 1/8th in is appealing is that I have a nice mic that uses it. it would keep the whole rig pretty compact.

Not only can I get the zoom for $250, but I can pay it off $10 here and there...
2nd November 2006
Old 2nd November 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtichy View Post

Not only can I get the zoom for $250, but I can pay it off $10 here and there...
thats almost a no-brainer...

One other thing i stumbled on, the edirol reports the internal mics as being omni, while the zooms internal mics are uni.

that might matter to you depending on your intended source (it does to me)
2nd November 2006
Old 2nd November 2006
Lives for gear

went through similar dilemma recently.
picked Edirol.

i can tell you the Edirol is incredibly small, lightweight,
and made in Japan.

turns on super fast, very simple to use,
recordings sound very decent,
connects to OSX super easy.

i love it.

lot of talk about it on that tapers forum.
gtichy
2nd November 2006
Old 2nd November 2006
Gear nut

thanks for the tip about bpmusic.com...

what is url for the tapers forum?
gtichy
2nd November 2006
Old 2nd November 2006
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmcallister View Post
thats almost a no-brainer...
yeah, but every obsessive gear-junkie bone in my body says "the edirol is better"...
2nd November 2006
Old 2nd November 2006
Lives for gear

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search