New Reply
Subscribe
Amatsubu
8th January 2014
Old 8th January 2014
Gear interested

Decent portable recorder for ambient sounds

Hi,

I hope this is the right group for asking this kind of a question, if not, I'm really sorry for posting here. I wanted to get into basic field recording to use in my music and also for fun because I really love the idea of capturing various ambient sounds. This will be a 100% hobbyist endeavour, I'm not planning on doing this for a living or something along these lines.

I'm interested in capturing quieter sounds (forest ambience, birds etc.) and sounds of the city, conversations but also short sound effects to make glitchy drums from. Just about anything that's worth recording, really. I know this is a very expensive hobby and that I won't be getting professional results without proper gear and proper knowledge. I simply want to buy a decent quality portable recorder which would be good for the aforementioned tasks.

I'm torn between the Zoom H2n, the Sony PCM M10 and the Zoom H4n. I probably won't be able to stretch out for something more expensive than the H4n. I've heard the M10 has the lowest noise floor of the lot which makes it good for field recording but its stereo field is almost nonexistent due to omni mics in a close, fixed position. The H2n has better stereo field but people say it's just too noisy for recording decent quality ambiences. Is the H4n better in this regard and worth shelling out more money? The Sony looks like a fine piece of kit but I can get the H2n cheaper with all the accessories and I'll certainly need a basic tripod and a windscreen. The H4n also has a decent set of accessories and I can get it with a "dead cat" type windscreen. I should mention that I may be willing to expand the recorder with an external microphone at some point in the future but that's not certain.

What would you suggest? Thank you for your time and help in advance.
9th January 2014
Old 9th January 2014
Lives for gear

If you can avoid the built in mics and use external mics, you will get a good jump in quality.
9th January 2014
Old 9th January 2014
Gear addict

But if you're using the internal mics, the H4n is no upgrade over the H2n, based on my experience with them.

Fran
9th January 2014
Old 9th January 2014
Lives for gear

If you can find a Sony PCM D50 used at a decent price I think you'll be very pleased with the results.
9th January 2014
Old 9th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
But if you're using the internal mics, the H4n is no upgrade over the H2n, based on my experience with them.

Fran
Good to know. I've always been really pleased with the H4n
Amatsubu
9th January 2014
Old 9th January 2014
Gear interested

Thank you for all the replies! I know that I'd probably be really happy with the D50 but I live in Poland and for some reason they're kind of hard to come by, be it new or used. On top of that, they're rather expensive. I'd be better off eyeballing a used Olympus LS-100 but these are also on the expensive side. So, the H4n is no better than the H2n if I'll be using the internal mics (which I probably will, for quite some time)? Are there any other alternatives worth considering?
9th January 2014
Old 9th January 2014
Lives for gear

Sony PCM D50 is the only solution for soft sounds in that price range... All the rest is too noisy from my experience. I extensively used Zoom H4, H4n and Tascam DR100 MKII... Sony is just better regarding the "cleanness". They have a new model out D100, but I think it is in a bit higher price range:

Sony PCM-D100 High Resolution Portable Stereo Recorder PCM-D100

Zoom with external mics is also very noisy, because those preamps are just "blah"... For louder ambiences it is fine, but for soft sounds - no...

My friend who is into field recording for sound art purposes got D50 after my suggestion and she is happy...

John Cage

http://elmutante.bandcamp.com/album/...of-kindness-ep

http://worldhappinessmusic.bandcamp.com/
Amatsubu
9th January 2014
Old 9th January 2014
Gear interested

Thanks for clearing things up. I've also heard that Sony excels at this kind of stuff because of remarkably low noise floor. Apparently, the D50 has been discontinued. This means no warranty and no support from Sony, I'm afraid I cannot risk that much. It seems that the only option left is either to get the cheap H2n with accessories, try to get the most out of it and live with the hiss fest or to go the whole hog and buy something comparable to the D50, which, from what you're saying, doesn't exist;p Quite a tough choice;p Is the Olympus LS- 100 that much inferior? I'd prefer something cheaper, without all these bells and whistles I know I won't use. Maybe some other suggestions? Roland? Tascam? Some other Olympus?
10th January 2014
Old 10th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amatsubu View Post
Thanks for clearing things up. I've also heard that Sony excels at this kind of stuff because of remarkably low noise floor. Apparently, the D50 has been discontinued. This means no warranty and no support from Sony, I'm afraid I cannot risk that much. It seems that the only option left is either to get the cheap H2n with accessories, try to get the most out of it and live with the hiss fest or to go the whole hog and buy something comparable to the D50, which, from what you're saying, doesn't exist;p Quite a tough choice;p Is the Olympus LS- 100 that much inferior? I'd prefer something cheaper, without all these bells and whistles I know I won't use. Maybe some other suggestions? Roland? Tascam? Some other Olympus?
They are all noisy to some extent... I preferred the type of H4n noise over some others though... and the tone of its internal mics... and the sturdiness of the machine... Tascam had more handling noise in my experience and I much preferred Zoom's display and organisation... And I got some file errors with Tascam - something that never happens with Zoom - the ones I used were super reliable, never failed me... I also used the XLR inputs for some ambient recordings with KSM141 pair and directly from the mixer - but you need a way to attenuate the signal from the board, since it doesn't accept line level signals and it distorts quickly... You can't bypass preamps...

BUT - if your main goal is as you say "I'm interested in capturing quieter sounds (forest ambience, birds etc.) and sounds of the city, conversations but also short sound effects to make glitchy drums from. Just about anything that's worth recording, really." then H4n is a suitable creative low budget tool for you - I mean if you use it creatively you can be happy with it, but if your main purpose is the first part of the quote - "capturing quieter sounds" - you need something better... With skill and creativity you can capture sounds that sound high quality and make some nice sound design with it, but it won't work for just anything and ALWAYS provide you with high quality sound... because it simply does not record high quality sound -you can only capture sound that is interesting enough (and loud enough) so you don't hear its internal noise and that you can make some interesting sounds in post production...

As one example - I used H4n with Rode NTG3 mic for all the interview sound in this (low budget) documentary presentation for a 50 years anniversary of a special school and institution for children and adults with speech and hearing problems, where we interviewed some of their parents at their jobs, teachers and children at the institution... Center za sluh in govor Maribor, 50 let on Vimeo - it is usable for such purposes... You can hear some little hiss, but it is passable, sometimes it is also masked by the wind or industrial noises, but if you want cleaner sound, you need something else...

If you want to hear how clean can Sonys be you can check my friend's work here: issue #6 ::: autumn 2013

She is recording some very silent atmospheres along with her reading of poetry, etc. She used a loaned Sony M10 first and then bought Sony PCM D50. She uses some DIY omni mics (with a bit less nice sound, but much better noise specs than DPA4060) that she puts as earpads on her head and walks around and also the internal mics. She would not be able to pull that off with H4n or the others of similar type... Maybe Olympus, but I don't know that one...

All you need to hear and read about those little buggers:

Transom

I would save for Sony PCM D100 if I were in your shoes today...
Amatsubu
10th January 2014
Old 10th January 2014
Gear interested

Thanks The Listener, you've been of great help. Yeah, I know that my tolerance to the self-noise level of a given recorder will depend largely on the purpose of the recorded material. Some of the recordings will be heavily post-processed, in which case the hiss should be of no issue whatsoever (I plan to make some ambient tracks by putting certain recordings in a larger context, adding pads and playing piano parts over them etc.) However, I'd also like to record some quieter nature sounds and leave them relatively unprocessed just for the listening pleasure (I plan on making a kind of an "aural diary" of all the places I've been to). I'll probably have to bring their volume up afterwards and that's where the internal noise of a recorder becomes a problem (especially that I'm not a mastering engineer, I only have a pretty rudimentary knowledge about what I have to do).

All in all, what you've said makes perfect sense. I just have to decide whether to go the budget route (in which case I'll probably buy a H2n) or to splash out and cover all grounds. Your point about saving up for a D100 is also tempting and I'll might just do that. If not I'll probably end up buying the Olympus LS-100. From what I've heard, Olympuses are less noisy that the competition and are second only to Sony. I could also settle for the M10 but the stereo field puts me off a bit. Maybe I'm going a bit over the top, as this will be my first recorder (not counting my Olympus voice recorder) but I guess we always want the best we can get. Thanks for the website and for sacrificing your time to help me, I really appreciate that
Amatsubu
10th January 2014
Old 10th January 2014
Gear interested

I've been reading about the D100 and, apparently, the internal mics are ridiculously good. However, this comes at a truly eye-watering price... (loving the bundled accessories, though! There's even a proper furry windscreen but at this price point it should come as no surprise:p) I've got a feeling that when the D100 gets launched in Poland, it will easily exceed 2000 zl, which is more than my current monthly income (looking for a better job:p). I wish they didn't up the ante so drastically… I don't need 32gb of internal memory, nor do I need all the additional gizmos which add up to the price. I'd be more than happy with the D50:( It'd be great if they released a watered-down version somewhere down the road. I think the entire Sony line best suits my needs - the recorders are sturdy, quiet and not overly gimmicky like the Olympus LS-100. Honestly, at this point I'm seriously considering the M10 before the LS-100. I think I'll just have to put up with the lackluster stereo image or do some post processing to improve it. The M10 is just a bit more than half the price of the Olympus, seems like a no-brainer. Of course this is a back-up plan in case I couldn't afford the D100. Judging by the looks of things, it's way beyond my reach.

Edit: I forgot about the Roland R-26, it seems to be praised. Do you happen to have used one of them? One last question: Is there a possibility of improving the M10's sound quality via external mics (no XLR inputs)? Could you propose some affordable options? This might be an ideal solution for me - a small, quality recorder for spontaneous capturing and a basic but fairly good external mic to pair up with it. Sorry for bothering you with all these questions;/
10th January 2014
Old 10th January 2014
Lives for gear

The link escapes me at the moment, but somewhere there is a site devoted to nature recording that shows a variety of DIY nature microphone setups. These things range from simple mics made from Panasonic capsules all the way up from there.

I think Ozpeter on this site is pretty knowledgeable about the topic you're interested in.

Naiant makes a very portable external preamp as does Church-Audio that will allow you to add external phantom powered mics to the M10. Before buying anything, look into these options.
11th January 2014
Old 11th January 2014
Lives for gear

No problem, I like to help, 15 minutes well spent if someone benefits from it and it is also sort of brainstorming for me...

I will go record distant wolf howling next thursday with my friend. She will bring along Sony PCM D50 and I will carry the big set up of Roland R-88 and a pair of KSM141 on a stereo bar (decided for them instead of CM3, because of less self-noise) in a DIY blimp and Rode deadwombat over it... (couldn't find an affordable and suitable ORTF capable stereo blimp, Rode only makes one for a single microphone). I would much prefer to have a capable handheld recorder for hiking in the woods... but hey, I want a usable sound... I don't trust the Tascam that will stay at home. So I am thinking too what to get next for portable stereo field recordings... if PCM D100 would have a clean pair of preamps with XLR inputs...

I don't know about Roland, I was enthusiastic about it, but I heard some horrible tests with internal mics... But I would need to test one to fully dismiss it... it looks very nice "on paper".

I still think Sony PCM D50 is by far the most no-nonsense and nice and clean sounding recorder in that price range... especially for quick FX catching and ambience recordings... for music Zoom H2n can be surprisingly cool to catch some rehearsals and such!!

Get one cheap used PCM D50 on ebay if you can... and upgrade later if you need...

About additional mics - yes, you can use them with M10 and D50 (their mini jack mic input is also very clean) and what "2manyrocks" said - try to find the sites for DIY mics... you can make them or some electronic friend makes them from some japanese capsules and aim at low noise specs and decent sound...
Amatsubu
11th January 2014
Old 11th January 2014
Gear interested

Thanks! I'll wait a couple of months before buying anything because I'm curious about the D100's price in Poland. Besides, I still want to make a proper research so that I don't regret my purchase. This might be a stupid question but is there a way to connect external mics to the M10 without a preamp? I want keep the cost of everything as low as possible, I don't need a professional external mic, just something better than the M10's. M10, a tripod, a windscreen + an external preamp and a mic will easily exceed the cost of a D100 but I don't have to buy everything at once. I'm definitely sticking with Sony (or Olympus if I can get more positive opinions about them) but I don't know whether to start with the M10 and add the rest later or to buy the D100 in a couple od months and be done with it (all the necessary stuff already included, bar the tripod). Both options are tempting...
11th January 2014
Old 11th January 2014
Lives for gear

Yes, those mics in question are plugged directly into the mini jack...

Anyway, yes, wait to see how it develops with D100... and maybe you ask some friend that travels to New York to get you one at B& H ( Sony PCM-D100 High Resolution Portable Stereo Recorder PCM-D100 ) You won't get one for such price anywhere in Europe - only if you get some special discount from the pro dealer and also buy without VAT if you have a company... Then you can approximate US prices... It is a small device, we regularly ask friends who travel to US to bring back some of those smaller devices... also the PCM D50 I mentioned was bought at B&H in NY...

It really depends what are your plans, I have bought mics that cost as much as my monthly income and also one that costs twice my monthy income, but they payed for themselves in a year or two... if it is your essential tool it is not too much, if it is only one of the tools, not so important to you, you think more...

If that is of some importance - the audio professionals involved in film also prefer Sony PCM D50 - as maybe one of the few options in the handheld marked they would at least touch with a stick...

Field Recorder for Ambience, Foley, etc. - Equipment - JWSOUNDGROUP

One opinion from that forum that I fully concur with: "So, without going for an external preamp and mics, it seems like the D50 or M10 are the ones to get in regards to low noise (and they also have a reputation of sounding very good). For handhelds with XLR inputs, the ones with preamps good enough to be used with mics that are quiet and low output (16dB-A or less, 10mV), are the PMD661, Olympus LS-100, and Roland R-26."

Good luck!
Amatsubu
11th January 2014
Old 11th January 2014
Gear interested

Thanks a lot! I didn't notice your reply because I've been in the middle of writing my previous post, sorry. Yeah, a used D50 is a fantastic option, I'm just afraid that it'll break down and Sony charges about 350$ for repairs;/ I've read a bit about the R-26 and it seems that you're right - the internal mics are not too good. Well, I'll still have to think about every available option;p I've stumbled upon the thread from your link, thanks. As I said, I won't be making a living out of this so I have to think everything through;p I'll take your advice and see how things develop with the D100. If it happens to be totally out of my reach, I'll either buy an M10 and add some ext mics later on (I'd like to ask you about these when the time comes, if you don't mind) or get a used D50. Thanks again!
11th January 2014
Old 11th January 2014
Lives for gear

There are about four levels of options with the m10

1. Use the internal mics
2. Add a pair of external mics that will run on plug in power provided by the M10.
3. Add a 9v battery box to run mics that require more power There is probably a way to combine two 9v batteries in a box with the proper components and run Line Audio CM3's.
4. Add preamp supplying 48v phantom mic power.

I haven't done it, but I understand there's a particular set of Audio Technica mics that will run on plug in power if you add a resistor to the line set. They are popular with the taper crowd.
Amatsubu
11th January 2014
Old 11th January 2014
Gear interested

Thanks! I'm leaning towards the M10 and external mics. The M10 seems like a solid buy in itself, I'll definitely be able to use its internal mics with satisfying results. I've heard people are able to use the M10 with an NTG2 shotgun which can run on battery power and which I can easily afford in some time. Binaural recording is also an option. Would the NTG2 be solid for ambience recording? I would need an XLR adapter of some sort, am I right? Jeez, I'm a complete noob:p
13th January 2014
Old 13th January 2014
Lives for gear

DIY Stereo Boundary Mics

I haven't done this sort of thing, but finally found a representative link to some of the interesting nature boundary recording setups I've read about.
15th January 2014
Old 15th January 2014
Lives for gear

I've had a PM about this and responded that the M10 with Roland in-ear mics would give remarkable results for the overall cost, especially if stereo image is important. I've also suggested searching online for samples recorded with those mics as this would be a very good way to avoid a purchasing mistake - there are plenty of examples on YouTube etc. Really I should put some online myself, come to think of it.

Quote:
I will go record distant wolf howling next thursday with my friend.
When recording wolf howling, distance is good. The howling might indicate that the creature is looking for a tasty sound recordist for lunch.
15th January 2014
Old 15th January 2014
Gear interested

If you're looking specifically for a handheld recorder the following advice won't apply; however, if you're going to use external mics, may I suggest:

Just use your laptop + an interface with USB-powered preamps. I use an RME Babyface + laptop that I stash in my backpack - I can record for about 2 hours on one battery (I have 2), and the quality of the preamps & A/D on the Babyface is way better than most handheld recorders. Since I already owned & used the laptop/interface for general recording, this setup was "free," in the sense that I didn't need to buy anything specifically for field recording.

You can pick up a Presonus Firestudio Mobile for $150 used; pick whatever mics you were going to use with a handheld recorder and proceed from there. Assuming you own a laptop already I'd definitely give this option some consideration. Downside is obvious; it's not nearly as convenient as a handheld recorder, and you have to take the laptop out of the bag to record/stop. If you don't mind the inconvenience, you can get incredible audio quality for a fraction of the price of a comparable dedicated recorder.
15th January 2014
Old 15th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozpeter View Post
When recording wolf howling, distance is good. The howling might indicate that the creature is looking for a tasty sound recordist for lunch.
I did "pre-production" for this adventure, I contacted a young scientist, wildlife researcher from the national bio-technical faculty who also takes care of a website about wolf population in our country. One of the ways of observing wolf population is also provoking their howls with simulated howling to which they respond and so you can check where they are, how many approximately, if there are cubs, etc. and sometimes they even come very close thinking that the person howling is another wolf and they come to check... He said it is not dangerous at all - there was not a single case of wolf attack on humans in all the years the wolf returned to those areas... Once a wolf even came at 5 m distance to him and nothing dangerous happened...

I know you were joking, but I wrote that as a curious information that might interest some.

What I fear is only that they would try to mate with my Rode dead wombat, which looks exactly like wolf's fur...
Amatsubu
15th January 2014
Old 15th January 2014
Gear interested

[QUOTE=daniel@mineral;9756538]If you're looking specifically for a handheld recorder the following advice won't apply; however, if you're going to use external mics, may I suggest:

Just use your laptop + an interface with USB-powered preamps. I use an RME Babyface + laptop that I stash in my backpack - I can record for about 2 hours on one battery (I have 2), and the quality of the preamps & A/D on the Babyface is way better than most handheld recorders. Since I already owned & used the laptop/interface for general recording, this setup was "free," in the sense that I didn't need to buy anything specifically for field recording.

You can pick up a Presonus Firestudio Mobile for $150 used; pick whatever mics you were going to use with a handheld recorder and proceed from there. Assuming you own a laptop already I'd definitely give this option some consideration. Downside is obvious; it's not nearly as convenient as a handheld recorder, and you have to take the laptop out of the bag to record/stop. If you don't mind the inconvenience, you can get incredible audio quality for a fraction of the price of a comparable dedicated recorder.[/QUO

Yes, I thought about that. I've got a laptop and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 which is exceptionally good for the price. However, it's hardly a convenient solution and I could only use it when I'm at my house outside the city. I only go there during the holiday season. It's a quiet, rural area which means complete freedom in dragging around whatever I see fit. But I'd also like something portable. The idea seems very temtping because the 2i4 paired with, say, a Rode NT-4 would probably give awesome results. Maybe I'll be able to do both setups but not anytime soon. It's just too expensive.
15th January 2014
Old 15th January 2014
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amatsubu View Post
However, it's hardly a convenient solution and I could only use it when I'm at my house outside the city. I only go there during the holiday season. It's a quiet, rural area which means complete freedom in dragging around whatever I see fit. But I'd also like something portable.
Maybe I didn't do a good job explaining - the laptop/interface option is 100% portable. There are only 3 components - the mics, the interface, and the laptop. The laptop battery powers the laptop, which give USB bus power to the interface, which has preamps and phantom power for the mics. Again I'm using a Babyface, which is 100% bus-powered and doesn't need a wall wart. When I'm in a city, the laptop and interface go
into the backpack while I walk around recording (the mic cables run out the top/side of the bag). Alternately, when I'm in nature I can set the laptop/interface on the ground (without worrying about it getting stolen/stepped on).

I record with DPA 4060s which are small enough to mount on BudFits/ for binaural recording. When I'm using this setup, it's not only portable but completely invisible. Alternately I can mount the 4060s on a homemade AB stereo bar (coat hanger works great too), so I can get closer/higher to a source or move my head without disrupting the stereo image. I've used both setups in nature and city environments with great success.

The drawbacks to this setup are that it's bigger, a little more complex and less rugged than a handheld recorder (you don't want to drop a laptop), and that you have to open up the laptop to toggle recording.
Amatsubu
15th January 2014
Old 15th January 2014
Gear interested

No, I get your point. It's just that it's not always possible to drag around a laptop with an interface and the mics. The 2i4 is 100% bus powered and provides phantom power but it'd be hardly reasonable to have it on you all the time e.g. when recording in a city. Sometimes, you want to be able to record something on a whim, which is not entirely possible with such setup. I'd look plain stupid trying to record something in the street;p Using the laptop and the interface seems like a brilliant idea when I'm travelling to a remote location or spending time in the countryside where I can simply take a folding chair with me, sit somewhere in the forest and fire everything up knowing that nobody will bother me but in the city - not so much.

Still, it's a good suggestion, thanks. Ideally, I'd like to have both options at my disposal but I'd have to add individual elements incrementially. Maybe I'll just buy an M10 and later invest in a good phantom-powered mic or a pair of cheaper mono mics (on DIY stereo bar, perhaps?). I don't know, there are just too many options;p
15th January 2014
Old 15th January 2014
Gear maniac

15th January 2014
Old 15th January 2014
Lives for gear

My laptop and 2i2 might run for slightly over an hour recording on battery power. My M10 will run for probably 20 plus hours on two fresh AAs. The M10 fits in my shirt pocket. From power on to recording maybe takes 30 seconds. The laptop isn't that convenient in the woods. What would you do if it suddenly started raining? I can stuff my m10 back in my pocket-if I used external mics, it probably would have been in my pocket the whole time.

H6 I understand has built in phantom power. I think it's a physically larger unit. I don't know what the battery life is.

There are a lot of options. That is correct.
Amatsubu
16th January 2014
Old 16th January 2014
Gear interested

That's why I said it's not always convenient;p Besides, I'm not sure how much self-noise would the 2i4 generate as I've only used it to record a couple of guitar parts. Still, it is an option worth considering in certain cirumstances. The Zoom H6 looks nice on the outside but people say that the preamps are still a bit too noisy (just like all the other Zooms). It's a decent piece of gear for recording louder things but it might not be worth it for almost twice the price of the M10. TBH, I'm not that bothered with the size of a recorder as long as I'm able to hold it with one hand. From what I've heard, the battery life of the H6 is rather good. Not sure about the quality of the included mics. I think that Ozpeter's suggestion about binaural (or pseudo-binaural) recording with the CS-10's is very convenient. I've checked some recordings made with the CS-10's and the OKMII's and I was pleasantly surprised. I know that binaural recordings are meant to be listened on headphones but they did sound rather good on my speakers. Of course, the 3d effect and the stereo field were diminished but the recordings still sounded quite deep. The only thing I'm worried about is the cable noise as I've heard these mics are quite prone to that. However, I'm not exactly sure what other types of mics I can pair with the M10, given that phantom-powered stuff is out of the equation.

Maybe I should settle for an M10 with a set of binaurals and later get a decent mic to use with my laptop and the 2i4 for short recording sessions in the countryside. If you have some other suggestions about the choice of the recorder or microphones to go with it please don't hesitate to write because all of you have been so helpful that maybe I won't even have to bother people on TapersSection with an another boring thread;p I've learned a lot thanks to you guys!
16th January 2014
Old 16th January 2014
Gear Head

16th January 2014
Old 16th January 2014
Gear interested

The samples sound good, thanks! The capsules are cheap but I'm rubbish at DIY and I might cock something up:p From what you're saying, I'm guessing that these mics do need some additional power supply and won't run on PiP power?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search