A Ceremony of Carols
Old 7th January 2014
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Mats H's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
A Ceremony of Carols

Hi!

My choir celebrated it's seventh epiphamy concert at S:t Jacob's Church and I thought it was worth sharing this piece. I tried my new Prism/Earthworks rig for the first time. I think it turned out quite nice. The recording chain feels a lot softer than the one I usually use (KORG MR-1000) but very open and pretty.

Main pair: Microtech Gefell M296 in A-B through Earthworks LAB102 & Prism Dream 124 @ 48 KHz.
Spot mics: Sennheiser MKH40/30 in M/S through the Babyface preamps.

Here's a video of A Ceremont of Carols, by Benjamin Britten. I filmed it with a Blackmagic Cinema Camera EF, a Canon 550D and a 600D.

Quote
1
Old 7th January 2014
  #2
Gear addict
 
Bibster's Avatar
 

Mats,

Hats off. Wonderful. Love that piece.
How you get that nice hall sound, yet without the usual audience noise rests a secret you seem to master very well!

Thanks for the nice video,

P.

Last edited by Bibster; 7th January 2014 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: typo!
Old 7th January 2014
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Richard Crowley's Avatar
 

That was great, Mats! Thank you so much for posting it. It is probably the best version of the work on YouTube (I meant that as a sincere compliment :-)
Impresssive matching of the different cameras. Nice job for static cameras. I have most of your choir's MP3s on my player.

Another long-time member of this forum and I sing with an SATB choral group at the office and we included an SATB arrangement of This Little Babe last month.
Was that an SAB adaption of the original 3-part Treble work?
Old 7th January 2014
  #4
Lives for gear
 
rumleymusic's Avatar
When I have more time, I want to listen to the whole thing. Wonderful sound, and performance!

It is a shame, here in San Diego I don't think a single group dedicated a concert to Britten's music in 2013. A shameful missed opportunity.
Old 7th January 2014
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Mats H's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibster View Post
Mats,

Hats off. Wonderful. Love that piece.
How you get that nice hall sound, yet without the usual audience noise rests a secret you seem to master very well!

Thanks for the nice video,

P.
Thank you The audience played nice, with the exception of the tiniest member, who joined the chorus especially in the quiet parts. I also believe we only had around 150 in the audience. But the room is very good. And so is Izotope RX. A smidgen of reverb on harp spot mics helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
That was great, Mats! Thank you so much for posting it. It is probably the best version of the work on YouTube (I meant that as a sincere compliment :-)
Impresssive matching of the different cameras. Nice job for static cameras. I have most of your choir's MP3s on my player.

Another long-time member of this forum and I sing with an SATB choral group at the office and we included an SATB arrangement of This Little Babe last month.
Was that an SAB adaption of the original 3-part Treble work?
Wow, that's a compliment if I ever had one! This is actually a SATB arrangement by Julius Harrison. Did you find your way to my concert page? I have an archive of 31 concerts we've made, most of them my recordings. PM me for a link

I would have loved a dedicated cameraman/woman or two, but had to handle the video and audio on my own and sing in the choir. I'm a second bass btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
When I have more time, I want to listen to the whole thing. Wonderful sound, and performance!

It is a shame, here in San Diego I don't think a single group dedicated a concert to Britten's music in 2013. A shameful missed opportunity.
Thanks Daniel! Last year, Britten would've been 100 if he had lived for that long, so we commemorated him by doing AMDG and Hymn to St Cecilia last spring. We also did Poulenc's Motets for the season of christmas and some other random works at this concert, being huge fans of these composers.
Old 8th January 2014
  #6
Gear maniac
 

Thank you Mats!!!
Beautiful execution technically and musically. If this quality of Faith Based Art was more available here in the US perhaps a revival of traditional structure and form would make a come back. My disdain of current "praise and worship 7/11s" is overwhelmed by the power and grace of this outstanding work.
Hugh
Old 8th January 2014
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Richard Crowley's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughshouse View Post
Thank you Mats!!!
Beautiful execution technically and musically. If this quality of Faith Based Art was more available here in the US perhaps a revival of traditional structure and form would make a come back. My disdain of current "praise and worship 7/11s" is overwhelmed by the power and grace of this outstanding work.
Hugh
Amen, Brother!
Old 8th January 2014
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Thanks for this--nicely done. I sang this piece as a choir-boy over 50 years ago--great memories.

philp
Old 8th January 2014
  #9
Lives for gear
 
hbphotoav's Avatar
 

Lovely work, Mats. I've shared the link with my wife (chorister and keyboardist) and daughter (chorister) knowing they'd enjoy it as well. It is cool to see and hear performances by groups of folks who enjoy the preparation and presentation of challenging works, just because they want to. One of my goals for 2014 is to try to identify a couple of similar groups here in Nashville, and to try to capture their expression as nicely as you have here. Well done.

A fellow fan of M296…

HB
Old 8th January 2014
  #10
Gear maniac
 

Superb! as ever.
Old 8th January 2014
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Mats H's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Thank you all, it's heartwarming to a singer Glad you seem to enjoy it!
Old 13th January 2014
  #12
Gear Guru
 
tINY's Avatar
 


Nice!




-tINY

Old 13th January 2014
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Mats H's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

Nice!




-tINY

Thx!
Old 15th January 2014
  #14
Gear interested
 
daniel@mineral's Avatar
 

What a beautiful space & performance. My parents must have played those carols when I was younger, some pieces seemed so familiar. Out of all the things to pick out I was really impressed by the thinness & unobtrusiveness of your mic stand. For anything over 8 feet I have to use a massive K&M tripod that would have looked like a gallows pole there in the aisle.
Old 15th January 2014
  #15
Lives for gear
 
boojum's Avatar
Mats, our local chorale also did this piece for the holidays. It is a lovely piece of music. Your group did it so well, and you also have that lovely venue to get it done in. Lovely job all around.

I used the Petrus mic stand (carbon fiber wands) and that is fortunately unobtrusive and mounts the DPA 4060/61's very well. I spotted the harp MS Mk4/Mk8. I still did not catch up to you. Beautiful effort!
Old 16th January 2014
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Mats H's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel@mineral View Post
What a beautiful space & performance. My parents must have played those carols when I was younger, some pieces seemed so familiar. Out of all the things to pick out I was really impressed by the thinness & unobtrusiveness of your mic stand. For anything over 8 feet I have to use a massive K&M tripod that would have looked like a gallows pole there in the aisle.
Thanks! I use two K&M 23600 stereo bars and a tall choir mic stand from K&M (260/8), of which I have five. These stands are incredibly useful for orchestral or choir recordings, as they go up to 3,2 metres and can be placed within the ensemble without intruding too much of the leg space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
Mats, our local chorale also did this piece for the holidays. It is a lovely piece of music. Your group did it so well, and you also have that lovely venue to get it done in. Lovely job all around.

I used the Petrus mic stand (carbon fiber wands) and that is fortunately unobtrusive and mounts the DPA 4060/61's very well. I spotted the harp MS Mk4/Mk8. I still did not catch up to you. Beautiful effort!
Thx very much, we're quite fortunate to have a great performance space! Do you have a sample of the concert, I'd love to hear it!
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.