Recording unusual 2 piece band live in a studio
Old 22nd September 2013
Gear interested

Recording unusual 2 piece band live in a studio

I will be recording a 2 piece band

>Stripped down drum kit - just floor tom, 10" tom and cymbal
>Bass cab
>Vocals

Everything will be recorded live including vocals. Music is post punk / noise with some bashing and some quiet moments.
I have 8 channels.
Live room is 9m x 7m and not completly threated yet.

My mics are:
cascade fathead 2x
cad e100 2x
beyer m88
EV 868
studio projects b1
altec saltshaker
SM57 x2

I want more live organic sound so was thinking less close micing. How would you use Blumlein m/s technique in this enviroment? How would you position instruments?

Vocals seems easy - m88 because of good rejection. Unfortunatly I wont have much time to experiment.

Thanks.

EDIT:

If it is not the right part of forum, please remove it to the right place.
Old 22nd September 2013
Lives for gear

I'd still mic everything close, and use a separate main stereo pair. That way you can control the amount of "live" feel after the fact, and it helps gel everything together.
I might be tempted to do some creative stereo spreading of the drums, but generally I'd try to keep bass cab and toms on different sides, not necessarily hard L/R but maybe about 50%, and vox in the middle.

Do you want to use Blumlein or MS?
Old 22nd September 2013
Gear interested

That was also my idea to start from. I was thinking Blumlein in the middle of the room. Im just wondering how to point mics. Probably each instrument (bass cab, drums set) in 90 degree angle and each mic pointed at 2 sources.

EV 868 on bass cab, couple (maybe two) feet away
I dont think I need close mics on drums dough. Regarding your idea of drums stero image: How would you mix stereo image of drums with blumlein panned L/R?

Thanks for response.
Old 23rd September 2013
Lives for gear

How you place the instruments will depend on where on the stereo base you want them to appear.
It might be good to know that in a Blumlein configuration, all sources that are farther out from the center than about +-40° will appear hard left or hard right. This comes from the level differences between both channels (you need about 18 dB of difference to make something seem hard panned, and you get that difference at about that angle - additionally, percussive sounds like drums tend to appear farther out than more constant sounds like bass). So the mics will actually point past the sources. Now if you angle your mics less than 90°, you'll be widening (!) the angle in which instruments can be placed without appearing hard panned.
All this is sort of theoretical. You'll have to listen carefully, as always, especially when that Blumlein pair is intended to give you most of the sound. Sometimes just a tiny bit of room sound (and a bit of "good leakage" as Steve Remote has called it in a few threads here) is enough to get that live feel.

As to creative panning of drums, well that depends a lot on the song and style (that's why it's called creative, right?), and it will mean relying mostly on the close mics.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search