boojum
20th September 2013
Old 20th September 2013
Lives for gear

5.1? 7.1? How about 40 channels?

20th September 2013
Old 20th September 2013
Lives for gear

Whoa, Looks like comb filter galore. How did it sound?

My favorite multichannel system is.

2013 | News Release | News & Events | Yamaha

More than wavefield synthesis.

This because speaker coloration and comb filtering are less obvious. Probably due to the omnidirectional radiation pattern of the speakers.
dtf
20th September 2013
Old 20th September 2013
dtf
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by just.sounds View Post
Whoa, Looks like comb filter galore. How did it sound?
How would there be comb filters when each voice was recorded very separated and played back on one speaker only?

Best,
Dirk
20th September 2013
Old 20th September 2013
Lives for gear

You are right than it won't
20th September 2013
Old 20th September 2013
Lives for gear

21st September 2013
Old 21st September 2013
Gear interested

22nd September 2013
Old 22nd September 2013
Lives for gear

One of my clients was going to do this exact same installation for a festival coming up. Ended up changing to a different concept- instead of the static install, we're doing a survey of the 20th century's classical music while riding a carousel. Still using similar concepts in the sound design, though.

--Ben
boojum
22nd September 2013
Old 22nd September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy View Post
Had a chance to go to an installation of this work years ago, albeit at a different and much less acoustically interesting venue than the one in the article. If you live in the area it's definitely worth checking out.

More info about the work and artist.... Janet Cardiff & George Bures Miller | The Forty Part Motet | 2001
Thank you for the link. It helps.

Cheers
27th November 2013
Old 27th November 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by polytope View Post
Nothing beats listening to a real choir performing.
Actually, that's largely the point and her imprint on this is that you are surrounded by the choir… so when and if you get a chance to be seated in the middle, perhaps. But until then, this was / is beautiful. Go to 360.org and listen to a short sample & tell us what you think.

particularly fun was standing next to a silent speaker / singer waiting its turn in the motet and having it open up like the person is right there.

They were all individually lav'd, curious which ones...
27th November 2013
Old 27th November 2013
Lives for gear

I think you start to get that effect by having two sets of hi-fi speakers and amplification, or by playing back discrete channels of say, guitar and bass, through the same guitar amplifiers as were used when you made the recording.

What was amazing to me -- this is a joke -- was to see forty loudspeakers, all of the same make and model. Loudspeakers should be collected over time, over one's life, as a prize, to mark one's progression through hi-fi (homemade bookshelf speakers, BBC monitors, Klipsch folded horns, floorstanding Tannoys).
27th November 2013
Old 27th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
Actually, that's largely the point and her imprint on this is that you are surrounded by the choir… so when and if you get a chance to be seated in the middle, perhaps. But until then, this was / is beautiful. Go to 360.org and listen to a short sample & tell us what you think.
According to my browser, 360.org does not exist.
1st December 2013
Old 1st December 2013
Gear interested

you're right, it doesn't; it's studio360.org.
But here is a more direct link to the Met Museum site with the short 2 minute sample & some pics: The Metropolitan Museum of Art - Janet Cardiff

It sounds like someone just recorded the playback monitors somewhere in the chapel space, with what & how who knows. It at least gives you an idea, but I was there and loved it. I immediately went searching for a recording of same Motet to buy and what I've found so far sounds flat & dull by comparison. But then again, what she did was out of the norm, both in the staging & recording as well as playback: no choir out in front up there, but all around...
2nd December 2013
Old 2nd December 2013
Lives for gear

Kind of reminds me of those recordings of organs made inside the instrument. Though I believe they didn't attempt to play it back with one speaker per pipe...
2nd December 2013
Old 2nd December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozpeter View Post
Kind of reminds me of those recordings of organs made inside the instrument. Though I believe they didn't attempt to play it back with one speaker per pipe...
One speaker per pipe? That's a nice project idea!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search