New Reply
Subscribe
Teone
18th September 2013
Old 18th September 2013
Gear interested

Audition recording: Voice, Acoustic Piano and Guitar

Hello,

I am Teone, I am an Italian migrated in Australia few years ago. I've been reading this forum since ages, although this is my first post.

My girlfriend has to record a video for an audition (Master of Music Therapy at Uni). My setup is pretty poor but I think that could do the job. The record doesn't need to sound professional or recorded in a studio, therefore I can use what I got.
We are doing this recordings in a rehearsal room here in Adelaide.
Two players. Voice and Acoustic guitar played by my girlfriend and a pianist on a baby grand piano.

I was wondering where to place the only 2 microphones I have to get the best from them.
I can only use a dynamic shure sm57(!!) and a AT4050 condenser.

I was thinking to use the condenser mic to record voice/guitar/piano (placed closer to my girlfriend so the voice/guitar are closer) and the sm57 (that is the last mic to be used on a piano, I know) on a piano just to backup in case the piano needs more direct sound in the other track.

Guys I know that the conditions are not the best, I am sorry, but I think that for an audition of this type, it should be enough.

Maybe swap the microphones? Use them in a stereo configuration? Use only the AT mic?
Any suggestion will be really appreciated.

Thank you and sorry for my English, I hope the message is clear enough.
Cheers
Teone
18th September 2013
Old 18th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teone View Post
Hello,

I am Teone, I am an Italian migrated in Australia few years ago. I've been reading this forum since ages, although this is my first post.

My girlfriend has to record a video for an audition (Master of Music Therapy at Uni). My setup is pretty poor but I think that could do the job. The record doesn't need to sound professional or recorded in a studio, therefore I can use what I got.
We are doing this recordings in a rehearsal room here in Adelaide.
Two players. Voice and Acoustic guitar played by my girlfriend and a pianist on a baby grand piano.

I was wondering where to place the only 2 microphones I have to get the best from them.
I can only use a dynamic shure sm57(!!) and a AT4050 condenser.

I was thinking to use the condenser mic to record voice/guitar/piano (placed closer to my girlfriend so the voice/guitar are closer) and the sm57 (that is the last mic to be used on a piano, I know) on a piano just to backup in case the piano needs more direct sound in the other track.

Guys I know that the conditions are not the best, I am sorry, but I think that for an audition of this type, it should be enough.

Maybe swap the microphones? Use them in a stereo configuration? Use only the AT mic?
Any suggestion will be really appreciated.

Thank you and sorry for my English, I hope the message is clear enough.
Cheers
Teone
What type of music is this going to be?

I would do one of the following.

1. AT4050 in fig 8 to pick up voice and guitar, each on one of the lobes with null facing the piano and use the Shure for the piano.

2. Close mic voice with the Shure and AT4050 again in fig 8 with one lobe on piano and one on guitar. Adjust angle and distance to obtain proper balance. Null facing singer.

Either should give you some room to manipulate things in post. Artificial reverb should be considered or your track will be too mono. Option 2 is more suitable for pop/jazz or in types of music where a close vocal sound is desired.

What do you have as mic preamp? The Shure can sound quite fine with a great preamp.
18th September 2013
Old 18th September 2013
Lives for gear

Do you guys have access to a camera/videocorder that can record stereo from its built in mic?

Added to what you have, it might give you some interesting options.

The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of one hour. - Japanese Proverb

"Look into his face and hear the music of the ages. Don't pay too much attention to the sounds--for if you do, you may miss the music." - George Ives
http://www.andersonsoundrecording.com

http://www.facebook.com/AndersonSoundRecording
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search