New Reply
Subscribe
emielll
11th September 2013
Old 11th September 2013
Gear interested

Lightbulb Getting into field recording!

Hey Guys~!

I am up for a career change . Thought about this long enough now. I used to (and still) do freelance live engineering and had my education "Audio Design" (6 years) at the Utrecht school of the arts based in the Netherlands.

So now I decided I want to record audio for video professionally and I was wondering what are good ways to do this? Obviously there are new "tricks of the trade" to be learned here. My end goal is to work with large film crews on professional high-budget productions.

I am thinking of a number of possibilities here.

1). I could ask for an internships somewhere where i can learn a lot.

2). I could buy some gear and just start doing it and work my way up myself. I am thinking of some decent, though still budget-ish, equipment to get me started until I know what real stuff to buy. And then the old equipment could act as a worthy backup, because i would want a backup anyway.
I did a 48 HFP with a Zoom H4N and a Rode NTG-2. The Rode seems like a good choice to me, but i would like to get something better then the H4N. I am looking for suggestions for widely accepted, and proven devices.

3). Read a lot on the subject. I could not find a lot of documentation on this, except for a manual from a Nagra recording device, which has also in-depth, though somewhat outdated perhaps, general information on the subject. The PDF is called NagraGuide2003 and can be found all over the net. Has anyone got more suggestions?

4). I could get a job doing reasonably simple work in this field with small crews. Like television/broadcasting

So i am looking for ideas. Ideas on steps to take, equipment to buy and documentation to read or view. Thanks!

11th September 2013
Old 11th September 2013
Lives for gear

Go to Film School
Work for a Film Hire co
Work as a trainee with a kindly Film Mixer for expenses only.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search