Help! Noisy Tascam DR-07mkii (sample inside)
products7074740
10th September 2013
Old 10th September 2013
Gear interested

Help! Noisy Tascam DR-07mkii (sample inside)

Just picked up a Tascam DR-07mkii to do some field interviews with. During a test run I picked up a lot of interference, even after turning off my cellphone/wi-fi/electronics. I went for a walk around the (quite suburban) block to test it and though the noise was less at times, it was still very active, modulating depending on which direction I turned. I've tried different batteries (alk and NiMH) different cards etc. Any idea? Got a recording gig in a few days, thought this puppy would be reliable enough to do the job, but maybe this is a bad unit? Thanks for your help in advance guys!

Here is a sample just recording some open guitar strings, noise very prevalent but this is about average for what i've been recording around my house/block.

https://soundcloud.com/kiefhernandez...i-test/s-2Gy1O
11th September 2013
Old 11th September 2013
Lives for gear

It sounds like the machine's self noise and could be defective. I would experiment using an external mic and line input to determine which stage is causing it. I know they are not too expensive, but I would guess that it should sound better than that! Also, make sure you're recording at an uncompressed wave file setting and not making an MP3. Maybe check mic sensitivity settings. A -20 db pad on the mic and the gain pushed up will result in poor signal to noise ratio like you're getting.
products7074740
11th September 2013
Old 11th September 2013
Gear interested

bought another unit to test. Seems like the RF interference is isolated to my block alone so far! Everywhere else I test the device it's quiet and smooth and then as soon as i turn on my block I get the static. I guess I just live next to the hidden alien transmitters either way hope there aren't any close to my shoot!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search