Login / Register
 
Recording drums in a small room
New Reply
Subscribe
Gabalonso
Thread Starter
#1
25th August 2013
Old 25th August 2013
  #1
Gear maniac
 
Gabalonso's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 151

Thread Starter
Gabalonso is offline
Recording drums in a small room

I have a very nice home studio in my loft space.
Great gear, great pre-amps. (Neumam U87Ai, KM184, KSM32 - Universal Audio 8860, Avalon, Focusrite)

For vocals, Acc. Guitar, percussion and pre and post production etc... The room is great.
I would like to be able to record a kit in my small room.
Is it pure utopia or is there hope?
As a drummer myself I have done loads of sessions in big rooms and I do understand that big rooms are great for recording drums.
Just wondering if a small loft space is a 'no go' for recording a kit

Thanks for your contributions
Cheers
Gab
#2
25th August 2013
Old 25th August 2013
  #2
Gear addict
 
mynaemisjonas's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Lost Vegas
Posts: 483

mynaemisjonas is online now
As a guy who's recorded in small rooms a lot.

I would dampen the room quite a bit with moving blankets. As far as direct sounds you should be fine if you dampened the room. I wouldn't try too hard for a room sound, it will be kind of futile, and overhead mics (high up ones) will not sound very amazing.

Close mic the cymbals, I use AKG 414's over each crash (1 foot - 1.5 feet away aimed at bell), AKG 451B on hihat and ride.

If there is a bathroom near by... that can be a fun alternate room sound to capture.

And by the way, I've never had any issues with PHASE close micing my cymbals.
Gabalonso
Thread Starter
#3
25th August 2013
Old 25th August 2013
  #3
Gear maniac
 
Gabalonso's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 151

Thread Starter
Gabalonso is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynaemisjonas View Post
As a guy who's recorded in small rooms a lot.

I would dampen the room quite a bit with moving blankets. As far as direct sounds you should be fine if you dampened the room. I wouldn't try too hard for a room sound, it will be kind of futile, and overhead mics (high up ones) will not sound very amazing.

Close mic the cymbals, I use AKG 414's over each crash (1 foot - 1.5 feet away aimed at bell), AKG 451B on hihat and ride.

If there is a bathroom near by... that can be a fun alternate room sound to capture.

And by the way, I've never had any issues with PHASE close micing my cymbals.
Thanks mynaemisjonas,
Very usefull!
G
Gabalonso
Thread Starter
#4
7th September 2013
Old 7th September 2013
  #4
Gear maniac
 
Gabalonso's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 151

Thread Starter
Gabalonso is offline
Has anyone recorded in a soundpoof booth like Studiobricks or else?
Is the lack of air around the kit a big issue?
Suppose you can compensate with reverb in mix or even putting a pair of room mics in a bigger room, speakers and re-record the recorded kit coming out of the speakers.

Opinions?
Thx
G
#5
7th September 2013
Old 7th September 2013
  #5
Gear interested
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 2

oldpiglas is offline
yeah,If there is a bathroom near by... that can be a fun alternate room sound to capture.
#6
7th September 2013
Old 7th September 2013
  #6
Lives for gear
 
king2070lplaya's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,340
My Recordings/Credits

king2070lplaya is offline
You need to kill as much reflection as possible, because the reflections are too close to the kit and cause phase issues instead of making the drums sound bigger. Get some Owens Corning rigid fiberglass or really thick blankets and deaden it up good. Add some larger studio room convolution on later to add helpful reflections.
__________________
Kevin Bourassa
Peridot Sound Mobile Recording Service
peridotsound@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Eventually you should deploy the most expensive and best Mic you can get. It should be hideously expensive.
Gabalonso
Thread Starter
#7
7th September 2013
Old 7th September 2013
  #7
Gear maniac
 
Gabalonso's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 151

Thread Starter
Gabalonso is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya View Post
You need to kill as much reflection as possible, because the reflections are too close to the kit and cause phase issues instead of making the drums sound bigger. Get some Owens Corning rigid fiberglass or really thick blankets and deaden it up good. Add some larger studio room convolution on later to add helpful reflections.
Is the Owens Corning rigid fiberglass enough to deaden the sound?
Thx
G
#8
7th September 2013
Old 7th September 2013
  #8
Lives for gear
 
king2070lplaya's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,340
My Recordings/Credits

king2070lplaya is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabalonso View Post
Is the Owens Corning rigid fiberglass enough to deaden the sound?
Thx
G
I used to have a small room at my old house a few years ago. We killed reflection with carpet, OC703 (fiberglass) bass traps on the walls around the kit, and we filled the drop ceiling with mineral wool (cheaper, less rigid, but as absorbent as the OC703 panels). Got some very dry but good recordings out of there. No wanky reflections or out-of-control room nodes to kill the good sounds coming from the kit.
#9
8th September 2013
Old 8th September 2013
  #9
Gear addict
 
mynaemisjonas's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Lost Vegas
Posts: 483

mynaemisjonas is online now
moving blankets double layered (or more) work really great too.
#10
8th September 2013
Old 8th September 2013
  #10
Gear addict
 
wildplum's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 353

wildplum is offline
what qualifies as a small room?

is 24(feet)x14x8(height) a small room (for drums)?
#11
8th September 2013
Old 8th September 2013
  #11
Gear addict
 
mynaemisjonas's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Lost Vegas
Posts: 483

mynaemisjonas is online now
That low ceiling sucks and i would definitely make sure to deaden the ceiling.
Gabalonso
Thread Starter
#12
10th September 2013
Old 10th September 2013
  #12
Gear maniac
 
Gabalonso's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 151

Thread Starter
Gabalonso is offline
Would anyone post a example of a kit recorded in a small room, dry and then with EQ, Comp and FX.
Please list plugs to process signal path and achieve the result.
Cheers
G
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.