Login / Register

Tube Pre for Choir and Orchestra recording?
New Reply
Subscribe
benyah
18th August 2013
Old 18th August 2013
Gear Head

Tube Pre for Choir and Orchestra recording?

Simple question: Would it be good to use a tube preamp for my main stereo pair when recording a (classical) choir / orchestra on site, or is it not worth bringing it along as it is heavy and takes up another 2 rackspaces. I record with 2x km184 as my main stereo pair and use nt5s as spots. I record into a motu 828 mk II with a focusrite octopre.

What do you guys usually use to record choir and / or orchestra on site?
18th August 2013
Old 18th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by benyah View Post
Simple question: Would it be good to use a tube preamp for my main stereo pair when recording a (classical) choir / orchestra on site, or is it not worth bringing it along as it is heavy and takes up another 2 rackspaces. I record with 2x km184 as my main stereo pair and use nt5s as spots. I record into a motu 828 mk II with a focusrite octopre.

What do you guys usually use to record choir and / or orchestra on site?
I'm a big fan of the DAV Broadhurst Garden range... I have a BG8. It's not so much "better" than the mic amps in my Apogee Ensemble... perhaps "more organic" might be a passable metaphor. I don't dislike the Apogee... I just like the BG8 better. And if someone were to force a pair of Gordon Model 5's on me... well, then.

I've used tube mic amps mainly with dedicated mics I've been fortunate enough to borrow... usually a Brauner VM-1S (which would also be an "OK" addition to my mics collection)... but the "sound" I seek is very often found with what I own.

It pays to listen to one's mentors... and to one's mentors' gear. Wise purchases may then ensue...

HB
19th August 2013
Old 19th August 2013
Lives for gear

I cannot be bothered with valves. I have Dav and Lake People. Simple clean stuff. And very strong.
19th August 2013
Old 19th August 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

19th August 2013
Old 19th August 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by richgilb View Post
I cannot be bothered with valves. I have Dav and Lake People. Simple clean stuff. And very strong.
What lake people do you used? It can be comparated with the DAV?

Evisto
19th August 2013
Old 19th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by evisto View Post
What lake people do you used? It can be comparated with the DAV?

Evisto
I use the C360 with Lundahl transformer out upgrade, which is not advertised but costs an extra EUR150. It is a bit less coloured than the DAV, the gain ranges from 0-66db and the build quality is a little bit better than the DAV. It's a bit cheaper than the DAV too, but I do so little choir recording I am trying to sell it. That would leave me with 4 RME UFX channels and 1 DAV channel.
19th August 2013
Old 19th August 2013
Lives for gear

No problems with using tubes here as long as it's a tube pre that fits an acceptable tone and transient response for classical music.

I have 6 channels of Vac Rac which are amongst my favorite preamps of anything that I own. They are heavy, but they sound great. I've also had great experiences with the Millennia M2B, the A Designs MP-2A and a number of others. I also use pres with transformers a fair amount, too- the A Designs Pacifica being a favorite. Gives a bit faster transient response than the tubes but still a beautiful sound.

There are also times that I'll go for transparency- the Pueblo Audio pres being at the top of the heap for that. I also use DAV, Boulder, Forssell and others.

At the end of the day, there are plenty of ways to get the job done depending on what kind of a sound you're going for and how strong your back is.

--Ben
http://www.fifthcircle.com
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by richgilb View Post
I use the C360 with Lundahl transformer out upgrade, which is not advertised but costs an extra EUR150. It is a bit less coloured than the DAV, the gain ranges from 0-66db and the build quality is a little bit better than the DAV. It's a bit cheaper than the DAV too, but I do so little choir recording I am trying to sell it. That would leave me with 4 RME UFX channels and 1 DAV channel.
That's what I used know, fireface ufx and two channels of DAV. I was thinking about four more channels of DAV or lake people

Evisto
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

Ha well try mine....cost new £550, yours for £400 plus shipping. No messing with pads for noisy sources too.
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Gear maniac

For me when I have recording chores that can include 40 members in the orchestra and 40 more voices in the choir the primary goal is to use pres and mics with no perceivable self noise, good cables and careful attention to sections or singers that might be prone to overages and transients. For pres I use an RME- UFX, a UA 410-7d and an on rare, very special, occasions my ADL 600.The previous writer is right, it is heavy and while it is built like a tiger tank it does have 6 tubes that do not like to travel. That said the ADL600 is by far and away the best pre I have ever used anywhere or any time!
Hugh
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search