Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

QM2 Jazz

In 2010, my lady and I were able to book passage on the QM2 from NYC to Southampton, as part of the International Church Music Festival. While en route, we listened to the trio in the port lounge and, wanting to stretch my chops a bit, I asked if I could record them the next evening. They said "Yes" and this was one of the tunes. The ship was far from quiet (the sound of propulsion was always with us) as was the bar.

I had very little time, and put up four mics: A DPA4061 gaffed to the bridge of the upright bass; a Sennheiser MKH8040 over the kit; a second DPA4061 gaffed in the curve of the piano, and a Gefell M296 at the end. They fed my Apogee Ensemble, and through it, a Logic session. The first tune of the evening was the soundcheck... by the time we got to this one, things had stabilized nicely.

We returned home and things got busy (there was three days of Festival to be edited... audio and 3 camera video) and it was only this afternoon, as I was cataloging five compact hard drives, that I ran across the tracks. I thought I might mix one, and put it out for comment. There's a bit of HPF on all four channels, attempting to deal with the rumble, and some further low cut on the bass mic. Pans were assigned to match the setup... Piano to the right, bass to the left, and drums behind, in the center. I hoped the bleed would work in my favor.

Enjoy!

HB
Attached Thumbnails
QM2 Jazz-dsc_2666.jpg   QM2 Jazz-dsc_2669.jpg   QM2 Jazz-dsc_2677.jpg   QM2 Jazz-dsc_2674.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 05 Track 05_192.mp3 (7.33 MB, 64 views)
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

A Busman's Holiday

Harry, wonderful. I hope you never overcome your OCD.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search