"Uh.... is this going to be okay with you?..."
New Reply
Subscribe
joelpatterson
16th July 2013
Old 16th July 2013
Gear Guru

"Uh.... is this going to be okay with you?..."

The music director was directing my attention to the tangle of wires and gear straggling across the front of where the chamber music ensemble was set up-- a primitive amplification system for the star performer of the afternoon and his "udderbot"-- a home-made acoustic theremin-- that's the only way to describe it-- sawn off wine bottle with a glove duct-taped below-- filled partway with water, and with the player squeezing the glove to vary the air volume, by blowing into the wine bottle and getting that characteristic "whooo-ey" sound of the swoony, science-fictiony theremin-- all with materials available to anyone back in Roman Empire times.

But what struck me most-- No one ever gives the slightest hoo-ha about my dilemmas on location, and here she's not only concerned but actively seeking my reaction! Of course, everything is always cool, as we all know-- but I thought the gesture was very touching.

Here's the 15 minute extravaganza-- the "theremin" makes its appearance at 1:30....

Mountaintop Studios - Fantasy by Martinu-Music from Salem - Tindeck MP3 Download

And, the inventor and craftsman, Jacob Barton... I tell you, getting a reliable pitch by squeezing a glove full of water... everyone oughta try it, sometime.
Attached Thumbnails
"Uh.... is this going to be okay with you?..."-udderbotfl.jpg  

mountaintop@taconic.net

www.joelpatterson.us
16th July 2013
Old 16th July 2013
Lives for gear

Joel, hang onto that director. She sounds like a great one, and maybe she has like-minded friends who need recordings. Now that glove-driven wine bottle, is that guy PDQ Bach??
16th July 2013
Old 16th July 2013
PRH
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
And, the inventor and craftsman, Jacob Barton... I tell you, getting a reliable pitch by squeezing a glove full of water... everyone oughta try it, sometime.
Mate, I'd love to see this in action!

Paul
joelpatterson
16th July 2013
Old 16th July 2013
Gear Guru

The director is a sweetheart beyond sweetheartedry... one of these primally sensitive people, a gem among emeralds. No idea what inspired Jacob to construct the wine bottle/udder device, but he did talk about endless hours developing the technique to make it work right.

PDQ Bach meets Spike Jones, maybe?

Actually the reality was very inconspicuous, he just stood there infront of the group and did his thing-- but the crowd walked away with a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and everyone knew it.
16th July 2013
Old 16th July 2013
Lives for gear

I would like to have seen this.
17th July 2013
Old 17th July 2013
Lives for gear

Joel,

I did a recording of a guy playing an electrified saw. He had a contact microphone taped/glued to the saw and it went from that into a series of pedals on the floor and into his guitar amplifier. Not quite in the same category as your fellow but very interesting to record none the less.

I bet you had a lot of fun!!! I know I did.

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Oberlin, OH 44074
www.acoustikmusik.com

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Celebrating 20 years in the mastering business in 2014
17th July 2013
Old 17th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
-- all with materials available to anyone back in Roman Empire times.
It's well-known that Nero played the udderbot while Rome burned.

Quote:
No idea what inspired Jacob to construct the wine bottle/udder device, but he did talk about endless hours developing the technique to make it work right.
You know what they say. Talent does whatever it wants, but genius ...
joelpatterson
17th July 2013
Old 17th July 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
.... whatever it wants, but genius ...
You mean something like "genius is enslaved to its unaccountably peculiar madnesses, and helpless but to pursue where'ence their flailing siren calls lead?"

Well, that's good news... I guess...
17th July 2013
Old 17th July 2013
Gear Guru

This performance was forwarded to the Choir here at work (huge semi-conductor company in Hillsboro, OR...). I saw your name, Joel. So I had to come here to say:

Kinda like - Slide whistle meets whiskey jug.

Very cool.

-tINY

17th July 2013
Old 17th July 2013
Lives for gear

tINY and I both sing in the choral group at the aforementioned huge semiconductor company. tINY sings Bass and I sing Tenor. Somewhere around here is video of our most recent performance.
17th July 2013
Old 17th July 2013
Lives for gear

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search