Fostex FR2-LE audio is shaky and tremolo-y
Old 16th July 2013
Gear interested

Fostex FR2-LE audio is shaky and tremolo-y

Hi folks,

Having some majors issues with my Fostex FR2-LE recently while doing location sound recording/field recording. I'm using one Rode NT-G2 shotgun mic in a Rode Blimp with full suspension and windscreen, but I seem to have a lot of unusable audio that sounds as if the mics is shaking, even while it's perfectly still. The sound is clearly not being created by wind, as this happens indoors as well, even when the mic is totally still. The audio sounds as if it's being put through tremolo and has an wavering quality to it, as if the mic is shaking very rapidly. I imagine that the problem is coming from the Fostex, but I'm not entirely sure. The mic is properly suspended in the blimp and is clearly not shaking when this is happening.

Any help/suggestions would be great, as I'm at a bit of a loss on this one and I've been using this set up for years without any problems.

Thanks!
Old 16th July 2013
Lives for gear

Have you tried the mic with a different recorder and the recorder with a different mic? That might help isolate something.
Old 16th July 2013
Lives for gear

Mr FR2-LE started doing some strange things like you are describing. I took it apart and re-soldered all the connections and it seems fine now. Seems as though when it was built it was soldered at too low a temperature and a lot of the larger components did not get soldered correctly. It could be the same thing or it could be something entirely different. Best of luck!
Old 16th July 2013
Gear addict

Could you post a sound clip with the problem? I had an issue with my Rode Blimp initially. Tightened some screws and all was well. The sound it made didn't sound like what you described. But a clip would be helpful anyway.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S
Old 23rd July 2013
Gear interested

solved

Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay--was away on vacation. Thanks for the responses and ideas. I took the advice and tried it out with another Fostex and it seems like I was overdriving the pre-amps a little too much and it was saturating and making the signal choppy and weird. In short, there's nothing wrong with the unit or with the mic--I was just boosting the signal too loud when I was recording the ocean, which is already pretty loud.

Thanks a lot guys!

harnessed
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search