Rendering question for multiple live tracks
New Reply
Subscribe
jnorman
13th July 2013
Old 13th July 2013
Lives for gear

Rendering question for multiple live tracks

guys - how do you burn a CD of a live concert as multiple separate tracks, but with no fades between tracks, so that it sounds like a single continuous performance? the material is composed of about 40 short songs that comprise a single work, and i want each song as a separate track on the CD - but it needs to sound like one continuous performance. This may be a stupid, simple question, but I haven't ever had to do this before.
thanks.
13th July 2013
Old 13th July 2013
Lives for gear

You bounce the whole piece and use a program like CD architect to add track markers between movements. The audio in that case will not be split up.
13th July 2013
Old 13th July 2013
Lives for gear

Crossfades, long uns
30th July 2013
Old 30th July 2013
Lives for gear

It's nice if you have a dedicated program to do this, but if you don't, you can actually do this using Itunes. Go under Preferences>Playback, and there is an option to select Crossfades, and determine how many seconds.
30th July 2013
Old 30th July 2013
Gear interested

there is an option to select Crossfades, and determine how many seconds.
30th July 2013
Old 30th July 2013
Lives for gear

This is a little old-school, but it should do what you want:

The basic CDDA Red Book standard says (per wikipedia), "Minimum duration for a track is 4 seconds (including 2-second pause)." You may get around that problem by using Nero, for example, which has an option to choose, "No Pause Between Tracks" in Disc-At-Once mode. (Not all drives support Disc-At-Once mode, though.)

What I'd do in your case is to import the complete work into an editor, convert it to 44,100/16bit, and then mark the points where you want the tracks to start. Zoom-in horizontally at, say, a 32-sample view (or finer) to fine tune the points. The transition points should make musical sense, and the waveform at the exact transition point for both channels should be at a zero crossing. A 32 sample view should show you where the desired music starts for a given track, while - hopefully - providing a choice of several preceding zero crossing points which you can then audition for suitability. Zooming in vertically can help too. Once the tracks have been decided, then I'd cut (Ctrl X) each track and paste it into a newly created file (Ctrl V) or - better yet - if your editor supports it - (Ctrl E) or similar to create and paste at the same time. Then save that new file using "Save As" 01 (in a dedicated new directory) and close it. Rinse and repeat until the original file is down to the last track which gets Saved As 40 in that same new directory.

Then burn an Audio CD using Disc-At-Once/No Pause Between Tracks mode and a decent brand of media. Listen to the results and try again if needed.

I'd start out avoiding cross-fades, unless absolutely necessary or unless you wish to incorporate them as part of the composition.

best,

john
30th July 2013
Old 30th July 2013
Lives for gear

It appears to depend on what software you are using at various stages (editing, mastering, disk burning, etc.) The combination I use does that by default, and I must deliberately add silence if I want any kind of gap between tracks. I do not believe there is a generic answer to the question. I am puzzled by the repeated mention of cross-fading. That seems like exactly what jnorman is trying to avoid.
30th July 2013
Old 30th July 2013
Lives for gear

Hopefully there's room tone to be crossfaded within
30th July 2013
Old 30th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
... I am puzzled by the repeated mention of cross-fading. That seems like exactly what jnorman is trying to avoid.
Which is why I suggested that the OP start out by avoiding cross-fading. To me it feels like a cheat; though some software makers tout it as being useful for avoiding clicks at transition points. Personally, I'd prefer pencil-mode or fade-outs/fade-ins down at the single-sample level; but only if audible clicks threatened to be an issue.

The problem is that, although the OP may intend for all the tracks to be played in the same order, the CD listener may be using a random playback order or a five-disc changer or both. So each track needs to stand on its own. A traditional evening of live song performance often provides space to do this (the applause, room-silence, singer drawing a breath before the first note of the next song-cycle). 40 songs, though, probably means some unusual or very quick transitions from one song to the next. Sounds like an interesting piece to edit and master, though probably not nearly as trivial a task as some might assume.

best,

john
31st July 2013
Old 31st July 2013
Gear Head

Cd Burning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
guys - how do you burn a CD of a live concert as multiple separate tracks, but with no fades between tracks, so that it sounds like a single continuous performance? the material is composed of about 40 short songs that comprise a single work, and i want each song as a separate track on the CD - but it needs to sound like one continuous performance. This may be a stupid, simple question, but I haven't ever had to do this before.
thanks.
As a long time user of Sony CD Architect I can recommend it for for what you want to do, Red Book CD burning including CD Text. You can try Sony CD Architect for 30 days for free from Sony's website. CD Architect 5.2 Overview

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search