Setup shortcuts
New Reply
Subscribe
Fizzyhair
4th July 2013
Old 4th July 2013
Lives for gear

Setup shortcuts

Ive been recording live music for nearly 10 years and I have a rather large console that I use for live sound and location recording. The problem is its too big to leave on the racks. it goes on top of a pair of 15u racks. But im getting tired of setting it all up every day. The console is connected to a patch bay via 6 8 way looms that is at the top of my racks. And then that patch bay connects the 2 racks also. But it's a time consuming job plugging in 32 Direct outs, XLRs, 10 busses 10 compressors returns effects sends, monitor ins and outs etc, and it's an occasional source for errors to be made especially when in a rush or with inexperienced crew.

Is there such a thing as a box I can plug everything into on the desk that connects to the rack via a single cat 5 or something or is there a loom with a big ass snap fit connector I can just undo and refit in one motion.

I don't mind doing the setup each time it's just time is money and all that.

Long Time Allen Heath and Presonus user!
4th July 2013
Old 4th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzyhair View Post
Ive been recording live music for nearly 10 years and I have a rather large console that I use for live sound and location recording. The problem is its too big to leave on the racks. it goes on top of a pair of 15u racks. But im getting tired of setting it all up every day. The console is connected to a patch bay via 6 8 way looms that is at the top of my racks. And then that patch bay connects the 2 racks also. But it's a time consuming job plugging in 32 Direct outs, XLRs, 10 busses 10 compressors returns effects sends, monitor ins and outs etc, and it's an occasional source for errors to be made especially when in a rush or with inexperienced crew.

Is there such a thing as a box I can plug everything into on the desk that connects to the rack via a single cat 5 or something or is there a loom with a big ass snap fit connector I can just undo and refit in one motion.

I don't mind doing the setup each time it's just time is money and all that.
You could make a loom that wires via a Veam style connector so one set of leads permanently connected to you desk and the socket at the back of the rack.

The other obvious alternative is to go to a digital system, this should cut down your wiring considerably. If you look at major PA companies and broadcasters they are all working towards these type of solutions as set-up involves a lot of labour which is increasingly becoming the major expense in this business.
Fizzyhair
4th July 2013
Old 4th July 2013
Lives for gear

I will put away the pennies and consider an i live system or similar eventually I'm just looking for an interim measure
5th July 2013
Old 5th July 2013
Lives for gear

Use cable with multipin connectors and leave your headers patched. Need to make sure you have a dog box on your console case though.
Completely rewiring every gig reeks of inefficiency

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago
Don't ever believe what people say
Quote:
Behringer is fine as long as it works. Tad Donely
Fizzyhair
5th July 2013
Old 5th July 2013
Lives for gear

In all fairness I never used to have such a huge console and thus it could stay hooked up but a its been expanded it was how do I say.. An unforeseen irritation. I've purchased a set of Big ass Audio grade multi connectors and ill build a loom then :-) thanks guys.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search