iPad For Mobile Recording Large Number of Inputs
New Reply
Subscribe
therecordinghous
3rd July 2013
Old 3rd July 2013
Lives for gear

iPad For Mobile Recording Large Number of Inputs

I think it would be sweet if you could use something like the Antelope Orion with an iPad for recording shows. I would think an iPad 4th gen would be perfectly cable of recording 32 inputs. It would be a pretty slick and portable system. All we need is drivers for the Orion, right?

That is all.

The Kingstown Project
3rd July 2013
Old 3rd July 2013
Lives for gear

That'll be nice (besides I don't have iPad....Orion either..)

Have you checked RME UFX features?

They have a function called DUREC, and you just plugin a USB stick into the unit, and 30ch recording is ready to go on the unit. It's like a JoeCo Blackbox recorder. Also, RME has revised the driver/firmware for UFX a few months ago, and it is now class compliant. That means it can be used with iPad. There are lots of people using with TouchOSC. Babyface is another addition to class compliant.
4th July 2013
Old 4th July 2013
Lives for gear

It would be good for recording shows if your iPad battery holds up, since you can't have the AC PSU and the interface hooked up at the same time...soem shows are pretty long...

philp
12th July 2013
Old 12th July 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to panatrope
Some of the Apogee kit has a cable that allows charging of the iPad while recording, either from the wall-wart or from a USB battery pack.

Similar may be possible for the RME BabyFace (especially when the TotalMix FX app finally surfaces).

Spoilt for choices these days ..
12th July 2013
Old 12th July 2013
Lives for gear

Until you can charge power and plug devices in simultaneously my iPad remains as a web browser. And I wouldn't say you are spoilt for choice if you have to buy an Apogee to achieve this.
12th July 2013
Old 12th July 2013
Lives for gear

There you go, just for you - - Cymatic Audio

16 inputs and works with an iPad. It also is a PC/Mac IO with 16 in and 2 out @ 96kHz.
12th July 2013
Old 12th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by therecordinghous View Post
I think it would be sweet if you could use something like the Antelope Orion with an iPad for recording shows. I would think an iPad 4th gen would be perfectly cable of recording 32 inputs. It would be a pretty slick and portable system. All we need is drivers for the Orion, right?

That is all.
Are they still stuck on 16 bit on the Ipad? Last time I checked all the ipad daws only recorded in 16 bit. I hope that has changed since...
therecordinghous
12th July 2013
Old 12th July 2013
Lives for gear

This thread is bringing to light a few things I didn't realize about the ipad. Will probably stick with my hd24.
12th July 2013
Old 12th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
Are they still stuck on 16 bit on the Ipad? Last time I checked all the ipad daws only recorded in 16 bit. I hope that has changed since...
It must have been a long time ago since you last checked.

Auria is 24 bit and up to 96k recording.
12th July 2013
Old 12th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBX-80 View Post
It must have been a long time ago since you last checked.

Auria is 24 bit and up to 96k recording.
That's great to hear.
12th July 2013
Old 12th July 2013
Lives for gear

WHY use an iPad?
12th July 2013
Old 12th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
WHY use an iPad?
Portability and battery.
12th July 2013
Old 12th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
Portability and battery.
Are iPads really that much more portable and with battery life that much longer than an MacBook or MacBook Pro. Or even an AirBook?

I'm honestly asking. I've never had an iPad so have no idea.

Seems like an awful lot of power to give up in order to save a few cm, no?

R.
"Thanks, guys. Nice to know I've been missed. I've spent the last six months or so contemplating the meaning of life, the universe and everything, and have come to the conclusion that it's not about the gear, but about the gear!" (maisonvague)

When I haven't any blue I use red. (Pablo Picasso)

Ol' Betsey Satan - The Original Flower
Shop 8 track - "She fought long and
she fought hard..."
12th July 2013
Old 12th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey View Post
Are iPads really that much more portable and with battery life that much longer than an MacBook or MacBook Pro. Or even an AirBook?

Seems like an awful lot of power to give up in order to save a few cm, no?

R.
I had bulky windows laptops in mind when I wrote that...

I doubt the ipad is much lighter than an Airbook, but it's cheaper. I can't answer on battery life, except to say that it's phenomenal on an Ipad, especially when compared to windows laptops.

Someone here with the latest macbook's can chime in on battery life.
12th July 2013
Old 12th July 2013
Lives for gear

I guess its ok as a recording toy. This fascination is based solely on price. Take it cheap from China, baby.

EARS-Chicago, Engineering And Recording Society

http://www.ears-chicago.org/
Deaf before Dishonor

http://soundcloud.com/hudson-fair
13th July 2013
Old 13th July 2013
Lives for gear

I think there is an equal fascination with utility.

Besides - an American design made in China, or an American design made in America or a German design made in Germany - may not justify the broad generalisation. Good design is inexpensive when coupled with high volume production for a large market. The performance difference between the pinnacle and the average just keeps diminishing with time, the cost difference the opposite.

Cheap - that's a different value system.
13th July 2013
Old 13th July 2013
Lives for gear

Recording with an iPad is fine for just experimenting and fooling around. From my looks at it I'm not anywhere near ready to use it on a job where I'm being paid, and where a live performance was the subject of the recording, no matter how cheap or hip it is. Maybe a later version...

philp
13th July 2013
Old 13th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
Recording with an iPad is fine for just experimenting and fooling around. From my looks at it I'm not anywhere near ready to use it on a job where I'm being paid, and where a live performance was the subject of the recording, no matter how cheap or hip it is. Maybe a later version...

philp
The OP is just looking to track live shows...you don't need much functionality to record tracks. Mixing is a whole other issue.
13th July 2013
Old 13th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post

philp
In such a case, it may be considered a useful adjunct for backup, on the spot audition production, etc.

I also come at this from a broadcast perspective. It is convenient, portable, reasonably reliable and facilitates OTT features like studio linking, and is great for opportunistic work.

And, let's face it, as far as quality is concerned, the acquisition peripheral can be whatever you like, and the average capture/conversion quality is more than adequate for ultimate distribution at the 16/48K level.

I value both the quality of my Nagra acquisition chain, a UFXwith DURec, a BabyFace into an iPad, and an SD302 into the line in of an H2n. (Even a Behringer 802 into a TASCAM CD recorder produced quite satisfactory results.)

As I said originally, we are spoilt for choice ... especially compared to lumping round a pair of BTR2s that produced quality not greatly in excess of a latter-generation cassette recorder).
13th July 2013
Old 13th July 2013
Lives for gear

No. Young people commenting is only about cheap price.

There are plenty of compact solutions that are made solely for recording audio and music. Audio is not music. Audio is tv sound and talk talk.

It all comes down to the fact that my Nagra hand held is twice as expensive as an iPad.

That's all. NOthing more.

Take it cheap, you suck, and I'll eat your lunch every time.
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by panatrope View Post
In such a case, it may be considered a useful adjunct for backup, on the spot audition production, etc.

I also come at this from a broadcast perspective. It is convenient, portable, reasonably reliable and facilitates OTT features like studio linking, and is great for opportunistic work.

And, let's face it, as far as quality is concerned, the acquisition peripheral can be whatever you like, and the average capture/conversion quality is more than adequate for ultimate distribution at the 16/48K level.

I value both the quality of my Nagra acquisition chain, a UFXwith DURec, a BabyFace into an iPad, and an SD302 into the line in of an H2n. (Even a Behringer 802 into a TASCAM CD recorder produced quite satisfactory results.)

As I said originally, we are spoilt for choice ... especially compared to lumping round a pair of BTR2s that produced quality not greatly in excess of a latter-generation cassette recorder).
I don't think that for 16/48 the quality level of capture is ok to be lesser than for a higher rez playback, in my experience the opposite is true. For a lower fi playback starting with a really high quality source really helps, a lot. And as someone who is being depended upon to deliver a reliable and professional recording of a possibly never to be repeated event, experience has taught me that dedicated tools are far less fussy and distracting, more controllable and even easier to use under fire. This is what my clients are experienced and intelligent enough to expect. If the job at hand is in their minds iPad-recordable, then they will likely do it themselves.

philp
17th July 2013
Old 17th July 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey View Post

Battery life (on my gen2 iPad at least) is surprisingly long. At least two or three times what I can get on the last 2 laptops I've owned. I would trust an iPad to last through one of my typical recording sessions on battery -- if that were required, like a truly remote remote -- more than I'd trust any laptop on its internal battery.

Whether I'd want to run a DAW and record on the iPad is something else entirely. I think it's potentially very useful as a control interface, as long as there is a backup method that won't take down the session. For example, an iPad running TotalMix to control setups on my RME UFX, with the UFX recording standalone to a USB drive, would be cool. Much better for setting up things like cue mixes and client preview 2-mix at the gig, compared to working with the dinky front panel screen on the UFX. But if the iPad went out, I could fall back to the UFX screen and front panel buttons to run the recording.

That's how I'd want to use an iPad -- an accessory and totally optional big screen control for hardware that's doing the actual heavy lifting. That's how many of the compact digital PA mixers are being set up these days: An iPad for roaming the room and setting levels during sound check, but you can still use the hardware's own interface when needed. Nothing is critically iPad-dependent. It's just an optional user interface.
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldedpath View Post
Battery life (on my gen2 iPad at least) is surprisingly long. At least two or three times what I can get on the last 2 laptops I've owned. I would trust an iPad to last through one of my typical recording sessions on battery -- if that were required, like a truly remote remote -- more than I'd trust any laptop on its internal battery.

Whether I'd want to run a DAW and record on the iPad is something else entirely. I think it's potentially very useful as a control interface, as long as there is a backup method that won't take down the session. For example, an iPad running TotalMix to control setups on my RME UFX, with the UFX recording standalone to a USB drive, would be cool. Much better for setting up things like cue mixes and client preview 2-mix at the gig, compared to working with the dinky front panel screen on the UFX. But if the iPad went out, I could fall back to the UFX screen and front panel buttons to run the recording.

That's how I'd want to use an iPad -- an accessory and totally optional big screen control for hardware that's doing the actual heavy lifting. That's how many of the compact digital PA mixers are being set up these days: An iPad for roaming the room and setting levels during sound check, but you can still use the hardware's own interface when needed. Nothing is critically iPad-dependent. It's just an optional user interface.
I use a Sound Devices 788t SSD recorder and use an ipad via wifi to control the recorder (arm tracks, record, set routing,name tracks on fly, add notes to the metadata etc) its pretty cool and handy when you are in some dark venue trying to see what you are doing. The more advanced settings I set up ahead of time on the recorder itself. I wouldn't record with the ipad though.

Very compact....Just came back from jersey and recorded about 8 gigs with it no problems.
Attached Thumbnails
iPad For Mobile Recording Large Number of Inputs-788.jpg  

www.aalarecording.com
https://www.facebook.com/Aala.Recording

"If the singer is a marine, and the drums are made of walnut and the guitar
being played is an SG with p-90's through a Marshal Major,
then give me my U47 back !!"

Gretschman

"We make noise for a living. Better than pushing paper"
Mudrock

"I don't want my tracks to turn into science experiments. I just want to flip a switch, turn a knob, and get a stiffy"
ben_allison
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Gear Head

I've recorded 14 tracks at once, 24/44.1, for 2 one hour sets in Auria. No problems. Still had 80+% battery left on the iPad at the end of the show. (I was playing and running sound too--one of those deals.) I also record on it at home--no laptop fan to deal with.

I wouldn't use it at this stage of its development if my livelihood depended on it, but my band did release some selections of one live show I recorded.
15th August 2013
Old 15th August 2013
Gear interested

Ipad + RME Babyface Phantom Power

Just a note on the Babyface + Auria.

My experience has been that if you plan to use the phantom power on the RME Babyface while connected to the Ipad-- you have to use an external wall wart (which is not included and has to be found/purchased elsewhere).

Powering the Babyface via the included Y Cable and a USB to AC wall adaptor does not work reliably. Nor does any kind of portable USB battery connected this way.

When powered via the USB Y Cable, applying phantom power causes Auria to freeze up and I have to force restart the ipad.
However, it works fine if you're only using dynamics, ribbons, etc.

On the other hand, Phantom power does work very well with the external supply. Its just that then you have another power supply to carry around.

I interacted with RME support staff regarding this issue several times and they were extremely unhelpful in understanding the issue:

Babyface w/Ipad mini Phantom Power Problem (Page 1) — FireWire & USB series — RME User Forum
15th August 2013
Old 15th August 2013
Lives for gear

Have you checked the very first thread which Mathias @RME started Babyface class compliant mode? I remember there were already power issue somewhere mentioned.

I considered Babyface versus SD USBpre2 for mobile 2ch use, but I guess from those threads, Babyface might draw much higher current than USBpre2 does. If your intended use is for battery powered use of preamps, I suggest to return Babyface and get USBpre2.

Babyface is the one designed for the use with computer, originally. The class compliant mode is actually added bonus, and I would say still experimental.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search