Tags: ,

We just got one of these for our video side and WOW!
Old 3rd July 2013
Lives for gear

We just got one of these for our video side and WOW!

We just got one of these Product: DR-100MKII | TASCAM and all I can say is WOW!. Nice unit, well built and sounds very good. Even the internal mics don't sound all that bad even though we will probably never use them. The mic pres are quiet and sound very natural.

I guess good things do come in small packages....<GRIN>

EDIT I put up the wrong URL in the post. My bad. We got the DR-100MKII not the DR-100. I understand that TASCAM really did some amazing things to the mic preamps after listening to consumer/engineers complaints about the pres on the DR-100. Anyway it works well, no drift and sounds great.
Old 3rd July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
We just got one of these Product: DR-100 | TASCAM and all I can say is WOW!. Nice unit, well built and sounds very good. Even the internal mics don't sound all that bad even though we will probably never use them. The mic pres are quiet and sound very natural.

I use it with my USBPre2 Pretty solid so far
Old 3rd July 2013
Lives for gear

Maybe it's too soon to ask, but are you experiencing much drift between the audio recording on the video camera and the DR100 over say 1 hour?
Old 3rd July 2013
Lives for gear

Intetesting, we got one for "add on" quick duties along with Roland R-88 and I just can't develop any love for it. The pres sounded way too noisy and thin in direct comparison to Roland, the internal omni mics sound tiny and noisy, unidirectional are ok, but the handling noise is too much... I cant really use it as hand held fx capturer, even slight finger movement makes much noise through the recorder body. The software seems quirky and I got "file error" twice with longer files and recordings lost...
I liked Zoom H4n more, at least with careful handling I could fish for fx, but despite having this Tascam at my disposal now, I cant develop any love... hmmm... I wish now that Sony would do a new version of PCM-D50 with quality xlr inputs and noiseless preamps or I'm through with "shavers" for the time being...
Old 3rd July 2013
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

Quote:
We just got one of these Product: DR-100 | TASCAM and all I can say is WOW!. Nice unit, well built and sounds very good. Even the internal mics don't sound all that bad even though we will probably never use them. The mic pres are quiet and sound very natural.

That one has been discontinued a while now.

It's now the Mk.II

Attached Thumbnails
We just got one of these for our video side and WOW!-dr100-ii.jpg  
Old 4th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
That one has been discontinued a while now.

It's now the Mk.II

I put up the wrong URL in my original post. You can still buy the DR-100 but for the extra money the DR-100 MKII is a much better deal. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 4th July 2013
Lives for gear

My bad impression is with MKII... but after seeing a complete opposite opinion here I need to give it a second chance...but I don't know what to do with the excessive handling noise - I primarily wanted to use it for quick capturing of some ambient FX - to carry it around as a quality audio snapshot machine to catch some stereo ambiences without the need to set up the primary recorder which has dialogue and foley recording duties... but internal omnis have weird sound and audible artifacts - noise and some high pitched weirdness going on... and with unidirectional mics there is still too much handling noise from holding it in a hand... and I got the mentioned file errors - it was also the first time I saw that kind of recorder formatting the SD card (32gig) for several hours - I didn't need to do that with H4n. It also takes quite some time to boot up... most of the times I want to have it ready a bit quicker... That gave me the impression that the software is somewhat quirky and unreliable. Will give it a few more chances before dismissing it completely.
Old 4th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
We just got one of these Product: DR-100MKII | TASCAM and all I can say is WOW!. Nice unit, well built and sounds very good. Even the internal mics don't sound all that bad even though we will probably never use them. The mic pres are quiet and sound very natural.

EDIT I put up the wrong URL in the post. My bad. We got the DR-100MKII not the DR-100. I understand that TASCAM really did some amazing things to the mic preamps after listening to consumer/engineers complaints about the pres on the DR-100. Anyway it works well, no drift and sounds great.
Ha! Where is that post about a year or so ago where you were slating all cheap handheld units and the associated issues they brought with them to the industry?

I'm digging it out now.....
Old 4th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmx16 View Post
I use it with my USBPre2 Pretty solid so far
I use exactly the same combo (DR100mkII and USBpre2).
How do you like the SPDIF in (2.5mm jack on the DR100mkII) on the DR100mkII? I had 'lost sync' a couple of times (during rehearsal, luckily), but since then, I bring three SPDIF cable, as well as line connector, just in case. I feel like I need a back up like Marantz which has a standard RCA SPDIF in.
Old 4th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener View Post
My bad impression is with MKII... but after seeing a complete opposite opinion here I need to give it a second chance...but I don't know what to do with the excessive handling noise - I primarily wanted to use it for quick capturing of some ambient FX - to carry it around as a quality audio snapshot machine to catch some stereo ambiences without the need to set up the primary recorder which has dialogue and foley recording duties... but internal omnis have weird sound and audible artifacts - noise and some high pitched weirdness going on... and with unidirectional mics there is still too much handling noise from holding it in a hand... and I got the mentioned file errors - it was also the first time I saw that kind of recorder formatting the SD card (32gig) for several hours - I didn't need to do that with H4n. It also takes quite some time to boot up... most of the times I want to have it ready a bit quicker... That gave me the impression that the software is somewhat quirky and unreliable. Will give it a few more chances before dismissing it completely.
Handling noise NOT GOOD but we use it on a tripod.

So far everything has worked and worked well,

I will keep updating this thread as I find out more about the unit.
Old 4th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by richgilb View Post
Ha! Where is that post about a year or so ago where you were slating all cheap handheld units and the associated issues they brought with them to the industry?

I'm digging it out now.....
Ahhh but this is to go with our DSLR for VIDEO not not for on location audio work but I suppose it could be used for that as well.

I would go in with a line input or digital and use the machine just for storage.

I think I was having problems with people using ZOOM type recorders in my earlier post and saying that they could do as good a recording as I could with my setup. Slightly different slant.

Have a GREAT 4th of July...
Old 14th July 2013
Lives for gear

I've got one as well. Bought it a month ago to put on a Blackmagic rig to handle preamplification of wireless lavs. Turns out I might use it for video taping interviews with wired mics too, as it sounds pretty good. I've also started using it to gather samples for a podcast project I'm working on and recording voiceover works well if you connect a proper mic.

I Recorded ambiences with it today. One could use a bit more stereo separation but you can't expect too much with this kind of mic setup.

The noise floor is not too bad with the built in cardioids. At least for this kind of stuff. It won't come close to my Sennheiser MKH mics, but the good thing is that as the MKH mics output a healthy level they can also be used without any kinds of noise problems on this unit.

So far so good, I'm starting to like it more and more. It won't replace the MR1000 or my other bigger setups, but rather complement them when I need a more portable solution.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search