Appsys ADAT Multicore ADX-32B
Old 1st July 2013
Gear Head

Appsys ADAT Multicore ADX-32B

Hi there,

since most of my work is on location I was searching long time for a digital solution to carry multichannel audio from the recording venue to the monitoring room. Of course MADI has come to mind but it was a huge investment I wasn't willing to make. And anyway what am I going to do with 128 channels?

After long deliberation I finally decided to go for the ADAT Multicore of a young Swiss company called Appsys ProAudio. An awesome piece of gear that changed my life. It's actually an ADAT extender that enables carrying 32 audio channels over a standard Cat5 or higher cable (Cat5e, 6, 7). They also have a 64 channel version over two Cat5 cables.

I’ve just written a review on it - check it out in the review section under "Appsys ProAudio ADX-32B".

Here's the link to the manufacturer's site:
ADAT Multicore Extender ADX-32B / ADX-64B-PRO

Greetings to all,
Oren
Old 1st July 2013
Gear Head

We've got a pair of these at a venue I work, and after a weekend of cursing unpredictably noisy analogue tie-lines I thoroughly realise just how much better my recording life is because of them!

We have an RME Micstasy sat in the hall, sending 8 channels over the appsys connection, which we can then remote control from our Yamaha desk over MIDI going back the other way. It truly is an excellent and incredibly cost effective solution.
Old 2nd July 2013
Gear nut

+1

fantastic product and fantastic service by the owner and engineer of appsys, Mr Rolf Eichenseher!
Old 16th December 2013
Gear nut

This work with dante? can connect this to a yamaha cl3 or digicos?
Old 16th December 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasspirO View Post
This work with dante? can connect this to a yamaha cl3 or digicos?
No, it has nothing to do with dante or the other formats that are coming on the market now. The cat5 cable simply carries the ADAT signals from one unit to another, where it's converted to ADAT optical signals that go into your sound card or interface. So it's just an ADAT extender, not a format on it's own.
Old 17th December 2013
Gear nut

Ok, same question, adat(over cat5) format is only adat format compatible?, because I seen some facebook pages talking about appsys and m7cl and ls9 its ethersound compatible?
Maye is a fool question but Im new in cat5 digital audio format, aes50, ethersound, dante, aviom, cobranet, rednet all are different but appsys is not clear about format, or is a propietary protocol?
Thanks in advance!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Yamah...38887182838228
here is a post about appsys but no details how connected

Last edited by BasspirO; 17th December 2013 at 01:52 AM.. Reason: more data
Old 18th December 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Ok, same question, adat(over cat5) format is only adat format compatible?, because I seen some facebook pages talking about appsys and m7cl and ls9 its ethersound compatible?
Maye is a fool question but Im new in cat5 digital audio format, aes50, ethersound, dante, aviom, cobranet, rednet all are different but appsys is not clear about format, or is a propietary protocol?
Thanks in advance!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Yamah...38887182838228
here is a post about appsys but no details how connected
Appsys does not use a proprietary protocol. It's ADAT all the way. Usually we use optical cables to carry an optical ADAT signal. The down side is that you can't use long cables. What Appsys does is simply convert electronically the optical signal (pulses) to an electrical one and then back. The format remains always ADAT. So it's an extender like other extenders such as VGA, DVI, USB, KVM. So the Appsys cat5 connection is only compatible with Appsys. But the ADAT ports are compatible with all gear. If you have specific question you can ask the manufacturer directly, he's a very nice guy. Check this out:
Kontakt
Old 18th December 2013
Gear nut

I really thank you for the time and clarity.....my idea was to conect some pres(adat) (and a recorder) to a yamaha digital mixer(cat5) dante,,,,,
Can you tell me about a box to do this conection?
Old 21st December 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
I really thank you for the time and clarity.....my idea was to conect some pres(adat) (and a recorder) to a yamaha digital mixer(cat5) dante,,,,,
Can you tell me about a box to do this conection?
look into the new focusrite line of dante products, maybe they can do what you're looking for.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search