Ambisonic mics
New Reply
Subscribe
mizzle
10th June 2013
Old 10th June 2013
Lives for gear

Ambisonic mics

So I was toying with the idea of a surround mic like the Holophone or DPA, but now I have turned my attention to ambisonic mics.

So far I've spent a bit reading about the Soundfield SPS200 and the Tetramic by Core Audio. Are there any other comparable units out there? It looks like these two hold most of the market for A-format recording.

I really like the notion of recording in a format that can be decoded and collapse down to 7.1, 5.1, stereo and mono without fuss.
10th June 2013
Old 10th June 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
So I was toying with the idea of a surround mic like the Holophone or DPA, but now I have turned my attention to ambisonic mics.

So far I've spent a bit reading about the Soundfield SPS200 and the Tetramic by Core Audio. Are there any other comparable units out there? It looks like these two hold most of the market for A-format recording.
There is a complete list in the Soundfield mic article on Wikipedia. The link for home build mics is currently unavailable, so visit the Ambisonic page on my website for these links (scroll down to "More Help for DIY Enthusiasts"). Note that the Oktava system and home build mics will require calibration, and this is non-trivial. The people on the "sursound" e-mailing list can help with this; sursound is where the Ambisonic crowd hangs out.

Quote:
I really like the notion of recording in a format that can be decoded and collapse down to 7.1, 5.1, stereo and mono without fuss.
Note that you don't actually need a soundfield mic for this. An alternative is to record in B-Format using an omni and two (or three) figure-of-eights. The Wikipedia article on Ambisonics has more information on this.

Regards,
Martin
10th June 2013
Old 10th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin.leese View Post
Note that you don't actually need a soundfield mic for this. An alternative is to record in B-Format using an omni and two (or three) figure-of-eights. The Wikipedia article on Ambisonics has more information on this.
Also worth considering is the only natural B-format mic now made, Josephson C700S.
mizzle
11th June 2013
Old 11th June 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks,

I think I'm going to go for the Tetramic and a Tascam DR-680
11th June 2013
Old 11th June 2013
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
Thanks,

I think I'm going to go for the Tetramic and a Tascam DR-680
A nice rig - but the Tetramic. is noisier than the SPS200.

The image shows the size difference between the two:-

Attached Thumbnails
Ambisonic mics-tetrasound.jpg  

President - Fédération Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

(and lots more - please look at my Profile)
11th June 2013
Old 11th June 2013
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to johnsound
Personally, I prefer the sound of the TetraMic over that of the SPS200 for music recording, although Len's software tweaks for the SPS seem to make quite a difference, as detailed elsewhere on the list. The only other problem with the TetraMic is handling noise: on a stand, with a suitably-modified Rycote Lyre, which they'll supply for you, the TetraMic is superb for music. In the field, you need to be very careful of moving the microphone or the cable whilst recording and a decent windshield and suspension is essential.

Regards,

John
11th June 2013
Old 11th June 2013
Lives for gear

Any views on the Oktava mic?

MK-012 Figure of 8 Microphone

I haven't been reading long at all about A and B format configurations but is there a certain piece of hardware of software useful in working with these formats and creating surround files?
Many of these other people do NOT attempt to justify theft with pseudo-intellectual "neo-Marxist" new age "everything should be free" crapola. Not every "person who samples" is an entitled crybaby, but I do know of one who certainly fits the bill.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search