Login / Register

What's acceptable cheapest mixer for classical "line in" recording?
New Reply
Subscribe
Lorenzop
8th June 2013
Old 8th June 2013
Lives for gear

What's acceptable cheapest mixer for classical "line in" recording?

Hi

if using anyhow at least some dedicated presimposing sources, what would you say is a acceptable mixer for passing line signals and evtl. a couple of mic signals and saving them to a multy teac recorder (tascam dr680)??
Is it basically only Mixwizard or Zed from AH?

Thanks.
9th June 2013
Old 9th June 2013
Lives for gear

There's some really great engineers out there who either started on or moved to Mackies for their portability, so..... Fwiw. Actually Mackie Onyx's ive used had a cleaner sound IMO than my Mixwiz does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Eventually you should deploy the most expensive and best Mic you can get. It should be hideously expensive.
9th June 2013
Old 9th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya View Post
There's some really great engineers out there who either started on or moved to Mackies for their portability, so..... Fwiw. Actually Mackie Onyx's ive used had a cleaner sound IMO than my Mixwiz does.
Kevin, interesting you mentioned Mackie. I have seen it on this board as a good mixer, even the modest 1402 VLZ-3 that I have. I am sure used can be picked up quite cheaply. I have not worked with mine much. I am still way too new to mix live and prefer to do it in post.

PS - I just checked and they are US$400 new.
9th June 2013
Old 9th June 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah in search of an answer I come here across posts saying classical got done on a Mackie. I guess if anyways you put line in then you might bypass the pres but still do you get any coloration?

Anything else (maybe better than a Mackie)? What do you make of the cheaper smaller Soundcrafts like edm6 I've heard their pres are very respectable.
0VU
9th June 2013
Old 9th June 2013
0VU
Gear addict

A small(ish) mixer often seen used on classical stuff in the UK is the DDA Interface. They're no longer available new but a good used one shouldn't be expensive. The Interface is bigger than the VLZ Mackies but has a much better build quality, is more readily serviceable and I think sounds noticeably better than any Mackie I've used - nicer sounding preamps, cleaner mix buss and useable EQ. I've found Mackies generally to have decent enough preamps but these are let down by the mix quality, a not very pleasant/useful EQ, and poor build quality/reliability. The DDAs are bigger and heavier but for me are worth the extra hassle as I feel they're just better sounding and more reliable mixers. YMMV of course.
Lorenzop
9th June 2013
Old 9th June 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks good tip.

What might happen with a soundtracs?? Say a topaz or fm series?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search