Old 8th June 2013
Lives for gear

Holophone vs Soundfield for surround

Which company does surround better?
8th June 2013
Old 8th June 2013
Gear maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to ramil
I had experience with only soundfield which was easy to work with but I believe holophone can do more than just record in b format. Tho I had access to hardware soundfield decoder I really liked their plugin in post which was extremely handy. If you need some audio examples recorded with soundfield just send pm
mizzle
8th June 2013
Old 8th June 2013
Lives for gear

Ramil,

How do you feel about the B-format? Is the software decoding convincing?
This is not like Dolby Pro Logic II which degrades the original information, is it?
This is more like decoding M/S?
8th June 2013
Old 8th June 2013
Lives for gear

Also,

Are you using the ST450? I am confused about the best way to feed the outputs of the controller into a portable recorder. There are 3 xlrs with 4 pins, what kind of sorcery is needed to get them into 4 standard xlrs?
8th June 2013
Old 8th June 2013
Gear maniac

450 Output Sorcery

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
Also,

Are you using the ST450? I am confused about the best way to feed the outputs of the controller into a portable recorder. There are 3 xlrs with 4 pins, what kind of sorcery is needed to get them into 4 standard xlrs?
Dear Mizzle,
The 450 kit comes with the required connectors that split the outputs into the six outputs WXYZ and L/R or MS Stereo on XLR. It is all pretty straightforward.

Let me know if I can help in any way with more information.

Best wishes,
Baithak
8th June 2013
Old 8th June 2013
Gear maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to ramil
B format is totally different beast compared to pro logic. Pro logic is compression codec for data reduction and standard surround playback systems.

B format is something like m/s but way more complex. It can sound really convincing especially in ambisonics playback system. Decoding is based purely on maths so both hardware and plugin is good, I would use hardware for live playback while plugin in post. As far as I remember the sound field mic cable has 12 pins which breaks out into 4 xlr separate cables which depending on your needs can be fed straight into recorder or decoder for playback, I usually record 4 channels of b format but monitor through decoders headphone input. During post production I just decode using soundfield plugin from 4 channel b format into 8 channel cube ambisonics.

However for certain daws to do decoding into 8 channels can be tricky so for that purpose I use pyramix. For sourround decoding just set up plugin to decode from b format to 5.1. Once u got audio captured its so easy to configure playback from mono to 3D or any configuration you want, you can even zoom in sound from captured recording etc..

Basically you should get special sound field cable that supposed to come with the mic.

Hope this helps
8th June 2013
Old 8th June 2013
Lives for gear

For surround I think I would go for the Soundfield over the Holophone. I also think I would go for the DPA "bicycle saddle" over the Holophone.

For monitoring, the Nagra VI and AETA 4MinX both have the option of Soundfield A-format and B-format monitoring, the SD 788T has B-format only I have been informed.

President - Fédération Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

(and lots more - please look at my Profile)
9th June 2013
Old 9th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
Which company does surround better?
It always depends. Do want surround from
- a big sports arena
- a live concert or show
- a classic ensemble
- a big orchestra

I would add the C700S from Josephson engineering. A extremely versatile microphone for mono, stereo and surround. No plug in needed for surround or stereo. I has 3 capsules - 2 figure eight and one omni - and it is a simple matrix you can set on any DAW (only 6 summing busses needed for 5.1) to generate L-C-R-LS-RS-LFE.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search