PSC M4A+ Mixer has strange monitoring issue
Old 6th June 2013
Lives for gear

PSC M4A+ Mixer has strange monitoring issue

Hey there- My mixer has been pretty rock solid for about the past ten years or so, with a few repairs along the way but no real problems to speak of until yesterday - monitor section began sounding intermittent with oddness in right, left, and middle coming and going etc. I'm pretty sure I traced it to the switch on the bottom of the case - 3 way - Mono, Stereo, and Mid-Side. Any one else have this issue, or other weirdness with this model after ten years or so of faithful service?

I am just wondering whether to get another one used and have this one repaired as back up or buy something like a used Sound Devices 442. The newest stuff available all seems like too many features, etc.

Also, is this 3 way switch available? Trew Audio here in Nashville is not doing repairs anymore, which really makes things a bit rough on the location sound mixers in town.

Inglewood SoundBarn
Old 6th June 2013
Lives for gear

Hello- First, you might have better luck with this question over at Jeff Wexler's site: JWSOUNDGROUP. It is a large gathering of folks who more generally use the product that you are having trouble with.

Surprised the Trew isn't doing repairs any more. I'd try, perhaps, Location Sound in LA. They are and have always been closely associated with Profession Sound Corp (PSC.)

And lastly, go to a good electronics store and buy a can of "spritz" (that is NOT a brand name ) contact cleaner, and don't buy the stuff with lubricant in it. Gently take the case off your mixer, use the straw nozzle, and spray some of this stuff in some hole in the back of the switch. Then exercise the heck out of it cycling through all the position a bunch of time to let the magic spray do it's work. Ten years old on a slide switch is old, and they get corroded just like anything else over time.

It might save you a repair bill. Certainly, if you are looking to upgrade your mixer, the Sound Devices 442 is a great "swiss army knife" of a mixer but it is getting a bit long in the tooth as well, and switches in those are known to fail as well.

If you would like me to look at repairing it (if you don't want to attempt it yourself) PM me. It's still a good mixer.

Regards,

D.
Old 7th June 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks Doug. You bet it's still a good mixer. I love it.
And today I am happy to report that I was able to take some time to troubleshoot without needing to roll in two minutes on a high profile interview (we've all been there), and the problem was that most simple of issues: my headphone jack was shorted (hanging ground strands), which was of course reacting to the switch being exercised. So I'm returning the 442. Trew is still doing repairs, just not in Nashville.

cheers!

Jordan Chassan

Inglewood SoundBarn
Old 9th June 2013
Lives for gear

Yep. Good gear stays "good" for a long time. Excellent success story!

D.
Old 9th June 2013
Gear interested

right,Good gear stays "good" for a long time. Excellent success story!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search