SD PIX260 vs. 788T
New Reply
Subscribe
9sbean
7th May 2013
Old 7th May 2013
Gear maniac

SD PIX260 vs. 788T

Considering to get a Sound Devices PIX260 with a decent 8-channel pre for more tracks than 788T. Anyone thinking the same?
7th May 2013
Old 7th May 2013
Lives for gear

To get more tracks (assuming mic level) than with a 788T, you'll need two 8ch preamps, one of them outputting AES. This narrows down the choice a bit.
You need to power the preamps as well. And then you need to hook them up to the PIX's inputs. Lots of cabling, lots of possible failure sources.

So I don't think it's a good solution for "really portable" like in a bag. It may well work in "remote recording" of concerts, where others would use the same 8ch pres but feed them into a computer interface or an HD24.
Remember that the other 16 inputs are through the video inputs. HDSDI and HDMI. I don't know of any mic pre that has HDSDI or HDMI outpus.

If it's to be really portable, I'd rather link two 788Ts if I need 16 mic inputs.
8th May 2013
Old 8th May 2013
Gear maniac

Yeah, good point. After experienced "Exception Kernel Error", I'm kind of worry 7 series, although it is very stable almost always, but you know, crash is crash.
Pure analog pre allow dual or even more devices recording together, and analog will not crash as soon as there is adaque power supply.
PIX 260 got Dante input. There are a some compatible products. For HD-SDI embeded input, Blackmagic design got a small converter for embeding 8-channel audio into HD SDI signal.
8th May 2013
Old 8th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sbean View Post
Yeah, good point. After experienced "Exception Kernel Error", I'm kind of worry 7 series, although it is very stable almost always, but you know, crash is crash.
I had this problem with my 788T but it was fixed with a firmware upgrade. It happened when I twisted the headphone volume knob rapidly. They had put in a new motherboard but that didn't fix it. When I figured it out and told them and that it was reproduceable it was fixed in short order. I have had no crashes since.

So, are you current in firmware? Have you contacted SD? They fix things, fast.
9th May 2013
Old 9th May 2013
Lives for gear

If you go w/ PIX 260 let us know how it works out.

philp
9th May 2013
Old 9th May 2013
Lives for gear

Is anyone aware of serious problems or crashes with SD788 (or other 7xx units) when not touching the unit?

I never touch the machine during recording and have never experienced a problem although I heard about issues from other users.

/Peter
9th May 2013
Old 9th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiop View Post
Is anyone aware of serious problems or crashes with SD788 (or other 7xx units) when not touching the unit?
Never had this kind of problem with the 788T. Current firmware seems pretty solid. I often touch the machine during recording, but even that has never given me any problems.
9th May 2013
Old 9th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiop View Post

I never touch the machine during recording and have never experienced a problem although I heard about issues from other users.

/Peter
My movie-sound colleagues and I are "touching" our recorders, which are working in "bag rigs" attached to our bodies with harnesses, while moving around, basically all the time while we're rolling. That is what the 7xx series was designed to be able to do. I drive those recorders on doco type gigs, sometimes recording while walking at a fast pace (or running even), no prob. If the movement gets really extreme (not my sort of gig) you can turn off the INT HDD and just roll with solid state media (CF). If you need to not touch your 7xx series recorder in order to keep it from crashing while rolling that machine needs to go in for service NOW. If you can't spare it then open it up and reseat the HDD connector and try again.

philp
9th May 2013
Old 9th May 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks to both of you for input.

Also want to clarify that with "touch" I meant changing settings and so on. I do realise it's sturdy and tolerate recording on the shoulder moving about.
I use the SSD version by the way.

/Peter
9th May 2013
Old 9th May 2013
Lives for gear

When recording I lock mine so that only the gain controls are active. One gig I have done is of bluegrass. A couple show up with their little three year-old boy often. He is fascinated by the lights. So I turn up the lights for him to watch, push in the gain controls, and let him have at it. No problems yet after many, many sessions with him touching the recorder. And he has pretty much lost interest in the machine now. I sure would not recommend this to anyone but it did not cause a problem.
9th May 2013
Old 9th May 2013
Lives for gear

I record to CF only
The SD is amazingly stable
The only time it confused me was during Holst's Savitri
The cans monitor was reading the card,by mistake
The delay was 10 secs or more,it was a long day,I thought all hell had broken loose.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search