Schlepping mic stands and snakes
New Reply
Subscribe
matyas
11th April 2013
Old 11th April 2013
Lives for gear

Schlepping mic stands and snakes

I've been working on streamlining my gear transport of late. I recently acquired a great large-capacity bag that holds my laptop, interface, backup recorder, mic preamps, headphones, and most of my cables. Mics ride in a separate bag. So everything basically fits in two cases (at least on small gigs, which is mostly what I've been doing these days.)

The big exception is, of course, the snake and stands. This past week, I've been recording a wind ensemble, and I've had three tall Manfrotto stands (for mains + flanks) plus 4-5 smaller boom stands for spots. I also have been bringing a 16-channel, 100-foot snake. It is this stuff that I find annoying and cumbersome to carry. Any elegant solutions for transporting mic stands and snakes? Anyone do the snake on a garden hose drum trick? Recommendations about cases/bags for tall mic stands?

Audio Engineer, Composer, Musician

"People who only know about music don't know about that, either." - Hanns Eisler
11th April 2013
Old 11th April 2013
Gear maniac

I've been using an H&B snare kit case for my snake - same configuration as yours. I have my snake "trained" to coil up inside the case with stage box in the middle, very easy to extract what length I need and pack it back up when done.The drum thing is just too bulky and awkward for solo outings. Plus most of those garden drums either don't have wheels, or the ones that do have them have crappy little ones that actually make transport harder (they catch on sidewalk cracks, door jambs, etc.). I just stack the case on a cart with everything else.

A couple of decent keyboard bags (a 76- and a 88-key) handle the mic stand cartage pretty nicely.
11th April 2013
Old 11th April 2013
Lives for gear

I've seen the "snake-on-the-garden-hose-reel" thing and can say from experience that I can wrap a snake much faster, and there are far less headaches involved without the hose-reel.

My tripod/boom stands go in one of these:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FUWo4Aod6XIAXw

Tall stands tend to end up in speaker stand bags.

For me, wheels are the main thing. I use a Rock N Roller Micro (don't get the ones with inflatable wheels - you will regret it):
Rock N Roller R2RT Micro Multi-Cart | Sweetwater.com

The mic stands and snakes ride on top of the rack gear.

The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of one hour. - Japanese Proverb

"Look into his face and hear the music of the ages. Don't pay too much attention to the sounds--for if you do, you may miss the music." - George Ives
http://www.andersonsoundrecording.com

http://www.facebook.com/AndersonSoundRecording
11th April 2013
Old 11th April 2013
Lives for gear

I use a reeled snake, the reel also being the stage box, similar to this one:

Stands go in a mic stand bag with 6 compartments, 2 or 3 stands per compartment, and if that's not enough, the rest goes into my second 6 compartment bag. I found that in a keyboard bag, they hit each other too much and easily get dents and scratches. Each bag rides on a foldable "case cart".
11th April 2013
Old 11th April 2013
Gear Guru

Here are my custom-made solutions: garden-hose reel reinforced with threaded rods and the loose ends and box wrapped in canvas bags, and a rolling mic stand caddy (loosely based on a busted-open golf club bag.)

These might be almost as good as the commercial equivalents...
Attached Thumbnails
Schlepping mic stands and snakes-mt-snake.jpg   Schlepping mic stands and snakes-mt-mic-stands.jpg  

mountaintop@taconic.net

www.joelpatterson.us
11th April 2013
Old 11th April 2013
Lives for gear

I have a hard rolling case intended for flying a set of golf clubs, but it works perfectly for mic stands.
11th April 2013
Old 11th April 2013
Gear maniac

Those snake reels that people are recommending are really handy and useful.
For a stand and cable bag, when traveling locally by car/truck and there is no need for a hard protective case, I highly recommend this.
Head Engineer/Producer The Houston Grand Opera
www.marlanbarryaudio.com
11th April 2013
Old 11th April 2013
Gear nut

More often than not, I've worked with companies who fit their snakes into smaller brief style road cases, or small trunks (ranging from square boxes with heavy duty casters to larger quarter pak cases). We use tote cases made by Stanley and purchased at homedepot. Light, protective, and good for the poor mans cable bin. They are black and yellow.

As far as stands go, we've decided to use a rugged drum hardware bag. It has a reinforced plastic bottom with wheels. Handles with Velcro (to clasp handles together), and a strap(never used). It also has small handles across the top and bottom for a two person lift.

All of our weighted base stands usually go in first, or with the bases removed and stacked at the bottom. Then the rest of the folded stands go in next with the shorties placed high and low so as not to "bulge" at the bottom or one side. The really nice thing about drum hardware bags versus others is that they usually feature a pair internal nylon straps to keep the bunch together.

As mentioned above, an open bag or case will allow for sliding and cosmetic, if not actual damage. The internal straps keep everything nice and tight during transport and keep things from getting lopsided. It moves much like a 2-wheel dolly and is meant for some external abuse.

Lastly, there are accessory pockets along either side that we use for mic clamps, parts, and small stereo bars.

Good luck!
11th April 2013
Old 11th April 2013
Gear nut

BTW, we easily fit 12-16 stands in one bag if not more. Ranging from weighted straight stands and tall booms, to medium and short booms. Enough to outfit a full band live.
11th April 2013
Old 11th April 2013
Gear nut

The best solution I found to move mic stands is a 3 wheel push cart made for a golf bag. I just strap them in with a bungee chord. The wheels are big enough that they don't get hung up on uneven pavement and the cart is very light.
Attached Thumbnails
Schlepping mic stands and snakes-push-cart-.jpg  
11th April 2013
Old 11th April 2013
Gear Guru

The parallels between golf and audio recording are probably pretty extensive, if anyone wanted to delve into it.
11th April 2013
Old 11th April 2013
Lives for gear

K&M makes a variety of good bags for stands. But no matter what you choose get it sounds like you'll need a cart of some kind to help with the "stream lining."
12th April 2013
Old 12th April 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
The parallels between golf and audio recording are probably pretty extensive, if anyone wanted to delve into it.
At least I'm not buying outfits from NIKE for recording yet. If this recording "thing" gets real popular maybe they'll come out with a "TONMESITER" collection. Something like those long white pants and white shirts they wore for tennis in the 1920's could be very sporty.
12th April 2013
Old 12th April 2013
Lives for gear

I was going to suggest a golf bag as well. The cart idea is intriguing, but the wheels can't fold in with the stands attached for travel. Maybe hitch it to the back bumper?

I avoid using floor stands and use clamps wherever possible. I'm usually doing rock shows so the key positions (stage lip, FOH, rear room) are usually clamp-happy, cuts down on bulk nicely.

Found a nice left-handed 1-iron with graphite shaft at a thrift shop for $5 the other day, maybe I'll use it as a mic boom...
12th April 2013
Old 12th April 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2SPL View Post
I was going to suggest a golf bag as well. The cart idea is intriguing, but the wheels can't fold in with the stands attached for travel. Maybe hitch it to the back bumper?
Actually the cart I have does fold. I strap the mic stands on and then unfold it when I get it out of the car. You're right the wheels still take up some room but it beats carrying those stands.
12th April 2013
Old 12th April 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken K View Post
...but it beats carrying those stands.
Of course! The caddy!
12th April 2013
Old 12th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2SPL View Post
Found a nice left-handed 1-iron with graphite shaft at a thrift shop for $5 the other day, maybe I'll use it as a mic boom...
It takes a very special person to hit a 1 iron....successfully.
12th April 2013
Old 12th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddy View Post
I have a hard rolling case intended for flying a set of golf clubs, but it works perfectly for mic stands.
I do the exact same thing. In fact a 100 foot snake would fit in the case if you didn't need to carry more than a few mic stands.

I have two travelling hard shell golf cases. One will hold twenty tripod stands and one is an SKB case that will hold 16 stands. Both cost under fifty bucks.

Very cool way to transport mic stands, cables, etc.
12th April 2013
Old 12th April 2013
Lives for gear

For something that will carry (3) K & M tripod stands with booms or (4) Manfrotto 1004 12-ft stands or (6) Shure S-15's, I use ballistic nylon photographic tripod bags.

I actually have some Bogan 42-inch blue bags with shoulder straps that have held up very well for years. They are no longer available with a "Bogan" label, but are now sold as Manfrotto 3281B tripod bags and are now black. The full-length zipper makes it easy to unload the mic stands.

For a pair of small mic stands like the Manfrotto 5001B "nano" I use a Smith-Victor TB330 "small tripod or light-stand case.
12th April 2013
Old 12th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-boy View Post
It takes a very special person to hit a 1 iron....successfully.
I've got an old 10 degree Callaway stainless driver I can not only hit 280 yds off the fairway, I can shape it!

Wait a sec, do you mean gifted special, or short bus special?
12th April 2013
Old 12th April 2013
Lives for gear

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Oberlin, OH 44074
www.acoustikmusik.com

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Celebrating 20 years in the mastering business in 2014
12th April 2013
Old 12th April 2013
Lives for gear

i'm experimenting with DPA4060 on car telescopic car antennas for spots. Seems to work pretty good and fast.
12th April 2013
Old 12th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by just.sounds View Post
i'm experimenting with DPA4060 on car telescopic car antennas for spots. Seems to work pretty good and fast.
Isn't it difficult to position the car in front of the performers?
12th April 2013
Old 12th April 2013
Lives for gear

For going on 20 years I've used a SKB golf club case for stands... mic, light, tripod... whatever. I have two, and both have been overseas and in 25 or 30 states, planed, boated (QM2, no less), trucked, van-ed, WünderWagen-ed and schlepped. I've replaced a couple of screws and one handle. I am not gentle. The lads at the airport are not gentle. These are very hard to kill. When I bought mine, back in the Last Century, they were $119. They have done yeoman service, and are worth whatever they cost nowadays. Highly recommended.

Smaller, local gigs, mic stands (2x11' Manfrotto; 1x16' Manfrotto lightweight 6-stage; 1x15' PIC; 1x8' heavy K&M studio tripod; 2xAKG lightweight standard boom; 1x1' table stand) are carried in a Gator speaker stand bag from GC.

My PA rig has available several snakes (8x4x100; 16x4x150; 20x8x75; 24x8x100; (2) 8x25 sub snakes; (2) 8x10 fan snakes) which ride in two Home Depot black stackable bins (yellow topped) attached (one), stacked and strapped to a 2'x4' furniture dolly, with SKB RF and processing racks stacked on top. They reside in a 12x8 double-axle trailer (ramped), and the 8x4x100 often accompanies me on location recording gigs.

Record rack (SKB shock-mount, with Apogee Ensemble, D.A.V. BG8, TASCAM CD-R, power), backup rack (HD24 in a small SKB), and mics/clips/shockmounts cases (silver tool attaché cases from Home Depot, with custom dividers) ride on a flat dolly, with the stands bag and snake draped on top. It all fits in the back of a 525iT wagon, with the seats down. One-man-portable, one trip.

SKB is pictured below.

HB
Attached Thumbnails
Schlepping mic stands and snakes-golf-case.jpg  
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search