New Reply
Subscribe
Sotsirc
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Recording in a small house. Advice?

I'm about to record an instrumental EP for a band. They want to record it in a small house (6 x 4,8 meters). I've been there to have a look (listen), it's quite a dead room and the walls are really thin wooden walls and should let a lot of bass through.

The instruments are (there will be slight variations):
Drums/perc (no kick drum)
Cello
Violin
Electric guitar
Accoustic guitar (nylon)

So, I want it to sound natural but more produced/polished than a live concert; I basically need to have some options in mixing. Ok, I'm looking for opinions on things like separation; would you try to separate the instruments by putting up sceens and such or should I just go for close micing plus a stereo mic pair and realise that I have to get it to sound balanced in that room? The nylon string guitar is going to struggle for sure, they want to record it outside, which I think is a bad idea unless there's absolutely no wind. I'm thinking put the guitar in there and have them play together then dub the guitar on its own. I think the guitarist is tight enough. Whaddaya think?
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

nearly all my recordings are in houses....i have never thought to do it live though....one at a time seems much easier.
Sotsirc
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by richgilb View Post
nearly all my recordings are in houses....i have never thought to do it live though....one at a time seems much easier.
I think they will give a much better performance playing together. I won't rule out the possibility of overdubs though.
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

They won't be able to see each other, will they? Is this not all that important for a playing together recording?
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

In that size, I doubt a stereo pair will get you good results. Drums tend to sound boomy and distant because of small rooms' early reflexion patterns, and you can't really get that out of the room mic - except, MAYBE, by delaying that mic and thus increasing the ITD gap. But then it's other issues like audible delay to watch out for.
Close (or close-ish) miking seems the key to me. If the acoustic instruments have a pickup, record it too. You don't need to use it all the time, but it can save you in the louder parts.
Do a quick search for Steve Remote's Virtual Gobo technique, he explains very well how he isolates sources on a crowded stage.
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by richgilb View Post
They won't be able to see each other, will they? Is this not all that important for a playing together recording?
That is not accurate at all. Playing together has far more to do with hearing each other, interacting with each other, and building a groove together. Seeing each other is nice, but far more important is hearing each other at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Eventually you should deploy the most expensive and best Mic you can get. It should be hideously expensive.
Sotsirc
29th March 2013
Old 29th March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkautzsch View Post
In that size, I doubt a stereo pair will get you good results. Drums tend to sound boomy and distant because of small rooms' early reflexion patterns, and you can't really get that out of the room mic - except, MAYBE, by delaying that mic and thus increasing the ITD gap. But then it's other issues like audible delay to watch out for.
Close (or close-ish) miking seems the key to me. If the acoustic instruments have a pickup, record it too. You don't need to use it all the time, but it can save you in the louder parts.
Do a quick search for Steve Remote's Virtual Gobo technique, he explains very well how he isolates sources on a crowded stage.
Good tips, thanks!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search