Recording supporters on all sections at a football game
Old 16th March 2013
Gear Head

Recording supporters on all sections at a football game

I just got a job I really care for!
A swedish football team (my team as it happens) will leave their current arena for a new one this year, and have decided that they want recordings of the supporters chanting the last seven games. Their angle is that they rather do the recordings and never use them instead of not recording and regret it later. They actually released a LP recorded at a cup game in the early eighties which is now some what legendary amongst the supporters.

My initial thought was that phase issues(!) will prevent any close micing the individual stands, as the supporters on one of the stands is really loud.
Therefore I figured the best way to record the arena would be from a base station in the middle of the sideline, micing the nearest (and most important) stand and use hyper cardiods aimed towards all the other stands from that same location.
My theory is that this would (naturally) prevent the severe phasing occuring when several stands try to chant the same tune, but more importanly, make it easy to do a natural 5.1 mix for a dvd beeing recorded at the games.

I wonder if I could have some input on these thoughts, and maybe someone has done something similar and can give me advice and pointers!

Regards, Simon.
Old 17th March 2013
Lives for gear

I mix a lot of football games, the nicest sound in my opinion comes from a few (4 or so) good omni microphones distributed across the stadium or a surround array but only if you can rig the array somewhere high and central.

Don't worry about pase issues, the sound is so diffuse you will not notice this.

micing individual stands with ortf pairs also works fine, but I prefer omnis because there is soooo much off-axis sound which obviously sounds nicer on omnis (well, of course there is no off-axis sound on omnis)
Old 17th March 2013
Lives for gear

Old 17th March 2013
Lives for gear

yes, sky uses soundfield mics.
they are rigged in the top of the stadium, above the gantry. Sounds great.
Old 17th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
I mix a lot of football games, the nicest sound in my opinion comes from a few (4 or so) good omni microphones distributed across the stadium or a surround array but only if you can rig the array somewhere high and central.

Don't worry about pase issues, the sound is so diffuse you will not notice this.

micing individual stands with ortf pairs also works fine, but I prefer omnis because there is soooo much off-axis sound which obviously sounds nicer on omnis (well, of course there is no off-axis sound on omnis)

Old 17th March 2013
Lives for gear

soundfield mics were used at the worldcup, but I think they have some sort of deal with Schoeps now (? or they just like the sound) and Schoeps double ORTFs were used last worldcup.
ORTF Surround - SCHOEPS.de
Also sounds great, as long as you can rig one high and central.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search