Recording a Theorbo
New Reply
Subscribe
felixmercer
9th March 2013
Old 9th March 2013
Gear interested

Recording a Theorbo

Didn't know where to post this. Anyone have any experience recording a theorbo? I have schoeps cmc5u/6u, b+k 4011/4003, U87, 414's, km 84's, (plus more). Any advice (even if it is to where I should post this!)

Thanks!
9th March 2013
Old 9th March 2013
Lives for gear

This is the right place to ask.

You seem to have a great number of suitable microphones at your disposal. My advice: find a good room to play the intrument in. Test the SDC's particularly with it for a good overall tone and fast transients. In addition you could use a pair of Schoeps boundary layer mics for best low note response and room pickup without too much reverb. I have very good experiences with BLM3 and Theorbo.
9th March 2013
Old 9th March 2013
Lives for gear

I used a pair of (Schoeps) MK21's on one last week. I'll post a sample soon.
9th March 2013
Old 9th March 2013
Lives for gear

Context is everything. Is this a session or a concert?

In general, think about how a classical guitar would be mic'd and you'll be close. In a session, I'd be willing to do larger mics and higher positioning. For a show, low stands and unobtrusive is what is needed. Almost any of the mics you list will do a good job. From there, positioning is everything.

-Ben
http://www.fifthcircle.com
9th March 2013
Old 9th March 2013
Lives for gear

Well, it's Theorbo with harpsicord, gamba and flute in concert. Pair of MK21's about 6 feet back. I hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 15 Track 15 1.mp3 (2.38 MB, 77 views)
9th March 2013
Old 9th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
Well, it's Theorbo with harpsicord, gamba and flute in concert. Pair of MK21's about 6 feet back. I hope this helps.
Wow! I'm really impressed! You can actually hear the theorbo! I borrowed one for a little while and my impression was "this is probably the most difficult instrument to record."
9th March 2013
Old 9th March 2013
Lives for gear

One typical thing of the theorbo is the very powerful basses of the extra long strings. They are hard to capture with non-omnis. Listen to the following sample. It is recorded with an MK22/MK8 M-S combo as mains, a BLM3 boundary layer mic in front of the theorbo on the floor and an SF24 in the room for space. (The SF24 is the reason for the rather high noise level.) The MK22 is placed some two to three meters away from the singer, who plays the theorbo herself. The BLM3 is about one meter away, while the SF24 is four to five meters away and 2.5 meters up. It's a live recording. There is no frequency filtering in any of the tracks.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Theorbo_&_singer.mp3 (8.35 MB, 83 views)
9th March 2013
Old 9th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
One typical thing of the theorbo is the very powerful basses of the extra long strings. They are hard to capture with non-omnis. Listen to the following sample. It is recorded with an MK22/MK8 M-S combo as mains, a BLM3 boundary layer mic in front of the theorbo on the floor and an SF24 in the room for space. (The SF24 is the reason for the rather high noise level.) The MK22 is placed some two to three meters away from the singer, who plays the theorbo herself. The BLM3 is about one meter away, while the SF24 is four to five meters away and 2.5 meters up. It's a live recording. There is no frequency filtering in any of the tracks.
That was lovely, thanks!

philp
9th March 2013
Old 9th March 2013
Lives for gear

You'll need a good room with nice reverberation.
Then it's a pair of omnis for the "full" sound. If a closer spot is needed, I'd go for Schoeps or KM84, but that's a taste thing.
10th March 2013
Old 10th March 2013
Lives for gear

AKG Blueline cardioids are what I normally use but I have also done some recording of the instrument with a pair of B&K 4006 microphones. As someone already said context is everything and my choice would depend on the room and what else was playing.

Best of luck

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room with a View Productions
Oberlin, OH 44074
www.acoustikmusik.com

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Celebrating 19 years in the mastering business in 2014
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search