Freeform jazz guy expresses yearning for "a little anxiety"
joelpatterson
26th February 2013
Old 26th February 2013
Gear Guru

Freeform jazz guy expresses yearning for "a little anxiety"

Okay, granted, freeform jazz guys are not your typical music consumer, but then they are in touch with the zeitgeist in their own serious way... and after a session of recording his improv trio, here is where they fall on the scale of people who do this kind of thing...

Mountaintop Studios - Twenty five oh one-The Colliders - Tindeck MP3 Download

... and swinging by yesterday to pick up the masters, he blurted out how bored and dismayed he was with listening to an offering from a gentleman "emerging as one of the nation's top young drummers and multi-percussionist. The award winning drummer..." was so polished and predictable and flat he turned it off, unable to stand it.

"I LIKE a little, I dunno... 'anxiety' or 'tension' or 'uncertainty,' someone taking a chance and seeing how it goes. If there's no edge... it's just boring."

I suppose this doesn't strictly have anything to do with the kind of expertise we try to bring to the situation... but it does speak to larger trends, controllingness versus out-of-controllingness? Riding the lip of danger and chaos? Eh?
26th February 2013
Old 26th February 2013
Lives for gear

There was a classical guitarist in the program where I went to school who was a tremendous player, but not quite as technically perfect as some of the other guys there. However what made his performances so exciting is that it always seemed like he wasn't quite fully in control. It always seemed at points like he was barely hanging on for the ride, not completely controlling what the guitar was doing, but never actually losing it either and it made him incredibly exciting to listen to - more so than a lot of the more "perfect" players.

I'm still not certain if he did this on purpose or not but either way it was fun.

So yeah, I think that the edge of chaos thing is important in lots of genres.

-Mike
26th February 2013
Old 26th February 2013
Gear addict

There is certainly no point in listening to improvised music in which the element of surprise has been removed. Or ANY kind of music.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search