Pearl DS60 MS samples
Roland
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Pearl DS60 MS samples

A short while ago some gearslutz members expresssed interest in hearing some Pearl DS60 samples. I have attached an example of a demo recording I did in London at the weekend.

The material is a new composition from a very talented composer I know. The sample is uploaded on the basis of a demonstration of the microphone in a real world situation and it goes without saying that the material enclosed is not to be used for anything else as it is subject to my friends copyright.

Will You Final.mp3

This is a link to a Piano album I recorded using the DS60 and there are a few samples on the page.

The Glimpse

Any questions please ask.
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Simply wonderful.
This is a special microphone.

Thanks for sharing!
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Tell us more about the room please Roland and the array pattern
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Yes wonderful - shows again that rectangular diaphragms/capsules a re truly capable of making fine natural sounding recordings.

Was it Blumlein, M-S or X/Y in this case..?

::
Mads
Roland
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
Tell us more about the room please Roland and the array pattern
Quote:
Yes wonderful - shows again that rectangular diaphragms/capsules a re truly capable of making fine natural sounding recordings.

Was it Blumlein, M-S or X/Y in this case..?

Mads
The vocal recording is a demo for the composer. It was recorded in a church in Hampstead, London. The Church is fairly typical "church" acoustic as can be heard on the recording.

The microphone was configured MS and the centre pattern configuration was wide cardioid.

The piano recording was done in a new concert hall (approx 250 - 300 seats in a raked configuration) on a university campus in Liverpool. Acoustics were ok, but nothing special, the piano an almost new, Steinway D. I had to slightly denoise the final master as typical of a lot of modern halls, it has an elaborate, air conditioning system that we couldn't turn off.

Again the recording was MS with the DS60. I can't remember exactly what setting I was using for the centre microphone, but I believe it probably was pure Cardioid. I did have another two arrays up for that job, but I decided against using those, partly because the acoustics were not good enough to gain any benefit, I also decided against artificial reverb as it would have messed with the pianists pedaling and timing. That being said, the first reviews are just coming in and it got a rave review from "All About Jazz" (you can read it here Robert Mitchell: The Glimpse )
Roland
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quick update, the choral piece was a demo for Edition Peters, who were interested in signing my client.

I've just had an email to tell me that they have agreed, my customer is suitably pleased.
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks for the details.
I'm not always pleased with M-S, but this worked very well..!

Mads
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search