Renting a commercial space solely for tracking
New Reply
Subscribe
iacntspell
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear nut

Renting a commercial space solely for tracking

I'll start with the question: Has anybody had any luck renting a single room in commercial space (be it vacant or during off-hours) to use solely for tracking purposes?

Now for the details: The more I've gotten into recording, the harder I'm finding it to really learn the art in the spaces I have available. I've no longer got enough room at home to record anything outside of a vocalist with an acoustic, and so far the only demo work I've landed has been in the bands' small (and far from ideal) rehearsal spaces -- living rooms with things strewn about, storage units, etc. While I appreciate the merit of learning to make poor rooms work in location recording, the fact that I struggle so much with getting a decent sound at the source is frustrating and really making it difficult for me to learn good mixing practices. This being the case, I've started wondering if I could find a large space in town to rent, basically giving me access on nights and weekends to a decent sized (say, 15x20 with decently high ceilings) room that I can use to practice recording techniques, after which I'll simply bring things back home to mix.

Anybody worked out a scenario like this? I'd be curious to get any information about how you worked out your arrangement.
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear maniac

I work as a freelance audio tech for TV, some of the companies I do work for hire vacant warehouses for various jobs..... (like kids shows or commercials etc.)
Most landlords are quite willing do do VERY short time hire for a specific purpose.
Some of them would make GREAT recording spaces. Approx $500 / week seemed to be the going price for most of them.
iacntspell
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzGizmo View Post
I work as a freelance audio tech for TV, some of the companies I do work for hire vacant warehouses for various jobs..... (like kids shows or commercials etc.)
Most landlords are quite willing do do VERY short time hire for a specific purpose.
Some of them would make GREAT recording spaces. Approx $500 / week seemed to be the going price for most of them.
Where are you located, (if you don't mind me asking)? I'd probably be interested in a longer-term arrangement (say, a one-year lease) at a much lower price point. I don't need "great" at this point, just usable/adequate.

Thanks for the info!
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear addict

There are these things, call recording studios. You can "rent" them for the day and use their equiptment and room. As far as I have seen, most of them, using their people is optional.

Btw, this is tongue in cheek, though a viable suggestion. You can be a free lance engineer, working in various studios.
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
That sounds amazing!
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Im always on the lookout for spaces
There is a local PA manufacturer that has a very large space which is almost anechoic which I was convinced would be a great sound stage for recording
My friend played there and hated it,you could hear a pin drop,but that was it.
We have many ex Cold War airfields locally
My nearest has huge hardened aircraft hangers with gentle grass curved shapes,inside they are very quiet and acoustically dead,you could drive convoys of trucks in.
Haven't recorded inside yet,it could be great
However a local performing arts school is better,its free ,its warm ,has greenroom facilities and a large hall and stage,and its available at nights and parking is easy.
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear maniac

I'm in Adelaide, South Australia (a state capital city with about 1.2 million population Adelaide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

There are many spaces that would be 'different' to record in all you have to do is find them. Some I know of locally are a water tower, old brick kiln, cool rooms, dis-used 1970's built church, vacant factories etc.
Talk to your local real estate people and see what they might know of, an ongoing lease with a short exit clause might be workable for some landlords particularly on currently vacant buildings as some rent is better than NO rent.
iacntspell
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
However a local performing arts school is better,its free ,its warm ,has greenroom facilities and a large hall and stage,and its available at nights and parking is easy.
Now, see, something like this would be not only perfect, but awesome. Unfortunately I'm not aware of any such spaces in town with free access like this. Hence my willingness to pay a reasonable amount for access to a decent space.
iacntspell
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
I'm in Adelaide, South Australia (a state capital city with about 1.2 million population Adelaide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

There are many spaces that would be 'different' to record in all you have to do is find them. Some I know of locally are a water tower, old brick kiln, cool rooms, dis-used 1970's built church, vacant factories etc.
Talk to your local real estate people and see what they might know of, an ongoing lease with a short exit clause might be workable for some landlords particularly on currently vacant buildings as some rent is better than NO rent.
Thanks for all the info and advice. A member of one of the groups I've been working with is in real estate, and I had already planned on giving him a shout. The good news is I did the work pro bono, so he might be willing to at least get me some contact info.
iacntspell
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_25 View Post
There are these things, call recording studios. You can "rent" them for the day and use their equiptment and room. As far as I have seen, most of them, using their people is optional.

Btw, this is tongue in cheek, though a viable suggestion. You can be a free lance engineer, working in various studios.
I caught the sarcasm. Something like this, while possible, is probably a bit of overkill for what I need now and likely a bit out of budget. Thanks for reminding me of the possibility, though!
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacntspell View Post
I caught the sarcasm. Something like this, while possible, is probably a bit of overkill for what I need now and likely a bit out of budget. Thanks for reminding me of the possibility, though!
Yeah, I fully understand that. My budget at the moment is $75 that I got tipped on my last recording (was trying out all the equiptment together in an on lcation recording for the first time, so I did it gratis as a trial run. Actually contacted the band since I liked them and offered it :P).

Best of luck to you!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search