Help needed recording sax
Old 5th February 2013
Gear interested

Help needed recording sax

Hi Greetings from Ireland.
My name is Mark
I'm recording tenor sax for the first time next week and was hoping you guys could help me out. I was thinking of maybe using a 2 mic setup, having one close up and the other as a room mic but am unsure if my room will be suitable or not. It's a small room, 12 feet by 12 feet but it's well treated I have 4 bass traps in the corners and plenty of acoustic panels around the walls.
Is the room too small to bother trying to capture it?
How about using 2 mics up close instead of a room mic?
The mics I have are: Mike Joly moded Rode NT1A (U87 clone) The brand new Mike joly MJE-K47H Capsule Head with Oktava MK-012-01 (U67 Clone) and a Sennheiser e609 Dynamic
I have an FMR audio RNP Preamp and RNC Compressor
My soundcard is a creamware scope which has nice converters so I'm hoping to record something decent enough.
Also I have an SE Reflexion Filter which I use for vocals, whats your thoughts on using one of these on sax?
Any tips and suggestions on which mics I should use and where to position them would be great.
Also will some light compression while tracking take away from the sound or not?
I'll be staying ITB once we've recorded so any tips on eq, reverb ect and also what plug-ins do you guys use for sax?
Thanks in advance

Mark
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Generally aiming a decent condenser mic between the bell and the finger holes tends to work best for me.

Which mic to use really depends on the particular sound color you want for your particular purpose. Not sure how any capsule on an Oktava MK012 body could be a U67 clone, but I guess that would be the first thing I'd try.

Tracking with compression can be OK if you know what you're after, and your player is stationary and consistent, but I'd not compress on the way in - you can do this in the mix later.
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

It really depends on multiple things. The song, way the player plays, the sound of the horn, etc.

I have used a LD condenser placed a couple of feet in front of my horn with pretty good results, but it's a fairly mellow sax (1949 Selmer balanced action). For rock and roll I have a 1932 Conn that I play into an SM 57 to get a sound that cuts.

Putting the mic below the bell will mellow the horn, putting the mic above the bell and closer to the top stack will get you a brighter sound with more key/pad sound..

I think the Rode would be too bright and the Oktava also too bright. Try the 609 and see what you get. Or...put the Rode about five feet out and see what you get.
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Lots of good advice so far. Sax is usually recorded mono, and the reverb would in most cases be a larger, better sounding space than your room. So no point in using a room mic, it would likely give you a boxy, phase shifted result. I'd use the less-bright of the condensers, presumably the MC-012 with the Joly capsule, no compression. RNC is a good pre-amp, use low gain, and leave a lot of headroom. I'd start about two feet away, mid-way to the horn. In a better room, maybe four feet. No reflexion filter. Use a second mic for an alternative sound, maybe in a spot where it sounds best to the ear, compress that one if you like.
Old 6th February 2013
Gear interested

Thanks for the advise guys, much appreciated. I have a few ideas to work with now...
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search