I need some spot mic advice
New Reply
Subscribe
boojum
3rd February 2013
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

I need some spot mic advice

I am going to be recording a jazz band with the DS 60. I would like to use my remaining four channels for spots. An LDC for the horns and for the saxes, an omni for the drummers right knee and an omni on the acoustic bass?

The band is drums, acoustic bass, electric guitar. horns 2 trumpets and 2 trombones, four saxes, 2 tenor, an alto and a bari. If I need to I can run these four spots plus whatever through a Mackie 1402 VLZ3. I will have two Peluso CEMC6, a Schoeps CMC64, three SM57, two 4006 TL, two LineAudio CM-3's, a pair of Joly modded NT1-A's, and three 4061. What do the spot mic gurus suggest for this?

Thanks so much.

PS - Here is a pic of the awful rehearsal room. The layout will be the same when they do their public performances on 16 and 17 February and 14 March. But, the February room is an auditorium at a local college which teaches music and the March venue is a venerable old Portland theater.

College: http://www.pdx.edu/sites/www.pdx.edu...cital_Hall.pdf

Alberta Rose Theater: 360
Attached Thumbnails
I need some spot mic advice-gs001.jpg  
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

I'd go ORTF pair for saxes, if they are set up like in the picture this will get you enough horns. Balance saxes vs. horns by angling the array more down or less down.
Drummer's knee would be the 4006, wouldn't it. You might also try drummer's right ear with a cardioid (aka Steve Remote TLM 103 technique).
Bass: 4061 suspended in the bridge? I'd prefer a cardioid though. You don't want more room and drums than necessary.
I remember there was some HVAC trouble in this room, right?
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

I have some experience with this kind of situation.

I say keep it more simple. Just 8 mics and the 788, leaning on the mains.

The drums will be plenty loud, as will the brass. If there's a sax vs. tpt/bone balance issue, let the conductor know. If the 2nd row brass is blaring, I don't think sax spots would really help much unless they're really close in and directional anyway. Space/air gives the section better blend.

The Pearl will pick up everything very well, especially as you can "steer" it.

The bass is the #1 spot mic priority. I'd put one on the guitar too, as mellow jazz guitar sounds can get lost in a big band. As for the two other mics, since there's no piano, I'd put them out as a sort of "flanker" pair: put one in front of the whole horn section and put the other one equidistant on the other side. This way you can use it to boost a solo if need be and use it for room and width if need be.

I wouldn't be surprised if you get away with just the Pearl and a bass spot for a lot of it.

EDIT: I'd rather the layout be a little more traditional, with just the horns on the right, but c'est la vie.
boojum
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkautzsch View Post
I'd go ORTF pair for saxes, if they are set up like in the picture this will get you enough horns. Balance saxes vs. horns by angling the array more down or less down.
Drummer's knee would be the 4006, wouldn't it. You might also try drummer's right ear with a cardioid (aka Steve Remote TLM 103 technique).
Bass: 4061 suspended in the bridge? I'd prefer a cardioid though. You don't want more room and drums than necessary.
I remember there was some HVAC trouble in this room, right?
The rehearsal room has HVAC problems. The venues may, but not as awful, I hope. Please check the links:

PSU: http://www.pdx.edu/sites/www.pdx.edu...cital_Hall.pdf

Alberta Rose: 360
boojum
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

OK, the hot band will not have the guitar after all. It will have the acoustic bass and he gets picked up pretty well. Well enough to be heard easily and able to be followed. So, it looks like I will be able to make it with just the Pearl. That makes it simple. I like simple.
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

The Pearl makes life simple
boojum
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
The Pearl makes life simple
Every time I take out that flight case I thank the man who sold it to me. It is a lovely and versatile mic.
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

I'd probably still go with a bass spot just in case more definition is needed. Why not? You don't have to use it in the mix, of course.
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
Every time I take out that flight case I thank the man who sold it to me. It is a lovely and versatile mic.
Strange coincidence, I do the same every time a have a cup of coffee at home...

Ow, and spot the bass. Tends to get 'lost' in larger venues.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search