Tabletop Angle Stand for SD 788T or SD 664
Lotus 7
2nd February 2013
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

Tabletop Angle Stand for SD 788T or SD 664

I know there are a few 788T users here and even though I've also posted this on the Sound Devices Forum, I thought it might be of interest here.

Using the 788T for on-location classical music recording, I often must place the recorder on any available table, chair, bench, or church pew. Most of the time that results in the front panel of the 788T being well below my sight-line and I must either periodically raise the front edge during the session to read the time and level displays, or try to arrange a makeshift "lift" for the front usually from an extra battery pack or a bundle of cable (which never works very well). I've tried pieces of packing foam, but those are bulky and don't hold the recorder securely enough.

Since all that is actually required is a stable wedge, I considered building one myself using a couple of flat plates and a piano hinge. However there are various laptop computer "wedges" designed to lift a laptop keyboard to a more optimal level that can be purchased "off the shelf".

After examining several models I found the Aidata LHA-3 Folding Stand. It's the correct size to support a 788T, it folds completely flat, is very well constructed and weighs less than 600 grams. The Aidata LHA-3 has internal locking braces that allow the stand angle to be set at 20, 23, 25, 35, 40 and 42 degrees to the tabletop. I've used the stand several times and it seems to work well, and only takes seconds to set-up. I'd recommend its use for anyone who needs to raise their 788T for easier viewing.

I expected to need to use a small "bungee cord" to secure the recorder to the stand, but that has not been necessary. The recorder's rubber feet have enough friction to keep it in place with the included hinged folding "backstop". There are a few less expensive plastic laptop stands on the market, but this one seems perfect for a 788T and takes up the least space when folded. This stand is also large enough to work fine with the new SD 664 Field Mixer/Recorder.

Attached are some pics of the stand adjusted for various angles and folded flat:
Attached Thumbnails
Tabletop Angle Stand for SD 788T or SD 664-img_1257.jpg   Tabletop Angle Stand for SD 788T or SD 664-img_1258.jpg   Tabletop Angle Stand for SD 788T or SD 664-img_1260.jpg   Tabletop Angle Stand for SD 788T or SD 664-img_1268.jpg   Tabletop Angle Stand for SD 788T or SD 664-img_1269.jpg  

Tabletop Angle Stand for SD 788T or SD 664-img_1270.jpg  
2nd February 2013
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

Superb.
ESL
2nd February 2013
Old 2nd February 2013
ESL
Gear Head

3rd February 2013
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

Good ideas.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

I made a similar device out of ABS with a tape hinge for my sound cart some years ago. It has worked great for all the reasons stated re the 7xx series display. I attach mine to the stand with velcro, and that holds well enough that I can wheel the cart over rough terrain without the recorder coming loose

philp
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

My trolley has folding aluminium shelves which I angle to read the SD
They are covered in non slip mats
I made a tabletop stand out of reticulated foam from the local upholsterer
I like the look of this LHA-3 but cant find it in the UK,is it old stock?
Lotus 7
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
My trolley has folding aluminium shelves which I angle to read the SD
They are covered in non slip mats
I made a tabletop stand out of reticulated foam from the local upholsterer
I like the look of this LHA-3 but cant find it in the UK,is it old stock?
The Aidata LHA-3 is made in Taiwan by AIDMA Enterprise Co., Ltd.. I purchased mine from Amazon.com in the US and they still stock it. I believe it's a relatively new model.

AIDMA still shows it as current on the LHA-3 page their website.
They are a large Taiwanese company who have been around for more than 33 years and make a wide range of computer accessories including several different laptop stands. You can contact them through their website to inquire about UK sales.

It's beautifully constructed and finished, and clearly they invested in high quality tooling to make this stand.

I've attached a pic of the plastic package it's sold in.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Tabletop Angle Stand for SD 788T or SD 664-aidata-stand-package.jpg  
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search