New Reply
Subscribe
amargulies
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Amat. musician/recordist

iPhone 5 & Apogee MiC vs. Handheld Recorder

Hi everyone,

WHICH DO YOU THINK IS BETTER - for an ultra-portable, handheld solution for recording myself playing acoust. guitar and/or vocals in a quiet park outside......

- An iPhone 5 (which I already own) with an Apogee MiC (or maybe Blue Spark Digital, although I think the Blue's probably too big and heavy)?

- A high-end handheld recorder like Nagra SD, Sony D50 or M10, Zoom H4N, Marantz, Tascam, etc.?

Wouldn't the actual mics, preamps and converters be MUCH better quality on the Apogee MiC (or Blue Spark Digital) than even the best handheld recorders? Perhaps except for the Nagra or Sound Devices, but those won't let me do multitrack and fit in my pocket. And wouldn't my iPhone 5 w/Garageband or Auria have LOTS more power and functionality than any handheld recorder?

I need something which will fit in my jacket pocket. I'm hoping I can capture good enough quality recordings that I could later mix them in Logic for a relatively professional sounding mix. The handheld recorders would offer stereo and the Apogee MiC is mono, however - I won't be recording live bands or in clubs; just myself playing acoust. guitar and singing in a park outside. Maybe stereo wouldn't be good for that; too much ambient noise? My only other concern with the Apogee MiC is the latency, as I would be doing multitrack overdubs. What do you think?

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR ANY HELP AND ADVICE YOU MIGHT HAVE

Adam
31st January 2013
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Head

Apogee can now connect directly to an iPad
amargulies
31st January 2013
Old 31st January 2013
Amat. musician/recordist

I happen to have an iPhone 5, so I'm thinking about the idea of the Apogee MiC with that, as opposed to buying a separate handheld recorder like a Nagra SD, Zoom H4N, Sony, etc. I normally use a Macbook Pro and Logic w/Duet 2 at home for recording, so I haven't really felt a need to buy an iPad.

I also was looking online at the new Rode iXY stereo mic for iPhone, and of course there's the Blue Mikey and a few others. Doesn't it seem like these types of iOS mics with an iPhone or iPod will be a MUCH better solution than any handheld recorder for most people? And with something like the Apogee MiC or Blue Spark Digital, wouldn't it be MUCH better quality mics, preamps, converters and therefore sound quality than even the best handheld recorders? And since so many people already own an iPhone, I'm wondering if these iOS mics will basically make the handheld recorders somewhat obsolete. I don't know the quality of the Rode iXY mic, but I assume it's pretty good... the iXY is $200, an iPhone 5 w/out contract is $600-700 (or iPod touch for much less) - so why spend $1000+ for a Nagra SD when the iPhone/iPod and Rode iXY is probably MUCH more powerful and flexible, and probably at least as good sound quality - right?

I'm really just wondering if I'm missing something here - that's what I'd like help on. Are there advantages to the high-end handheld recorders, like Nagra SD, Sony D50 or M10, Zoom H4N, which I'm forgetting and not aware of? My only big concern with the Apogee MiC is latency - a few people have said it's latency is TERRIBLE - basically unusable for monitoring yourself while recording. Others have said the latency isn't a problem at all. I don't mind not using effects processing while I'm recording, and I'd probably want to monitor a click track and/or up to 5-6 tracks along with monitoring myself while I'm playing/recording. Any opinions? Thanks again for any help.

Adam
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search