Recommendations for 1U travel case for Fireface 800
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Head

Recommendations for 1U travel case for Fireface 800

I am putting together a mobile recording rig.

I need a protective case for my RME Fireface800.

I would like something with protection but easy to travel with (handles, shoulder strap(s) etc.)

Waterproof and airline safe are preferred but not necessary.

I would much prefer a case that I can keep the unit in and work with without having to take it out. Likewise, access to rear and front inputs and knobs are a necessity.

Some of the cases I am looking at right now:

http://www.gatorcases.com/p/29181-1106/gr-studio2gow

Amazon.com: Gator 2U Audio Rack Bag (GRB-2U): Musical Instruments

1U Audio Soft Rack by SKB Cases

ANy input recommendations or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

I have the Gator Studio 2 Go bag (not the rolling version) and I wouldn't recommend it for you.

It's ok - it definitely does protect the gear and you can access the front and back quite easily, but if I had it to do over again I would get the rolling hard version for sure. The bag is big and heavy enough to be awkward to carry, and gets to be a little much if you have mics and cables and stands as well. I would go with the rolling version.

Cheers!
-Mike
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Head

Thanks for the input, good to know.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

I have my Fireface in a Gator 2U gig bag (link on the Gator website) and like it. I considered the recording bags (which seems to be what Mike is talking about above) and decided the more compact gig bag would be a better choice.

It's not going to take hardcore touring, but it protects my Fireface well and it's easy to get to the front/back of the hardware. I will be pairing mine up with an 8ch preamp soon, but unless you want that expandibility, the 1u model would be great.

Just my 2c. I don't trust Gator's plastic cases by the way - the latches work loose after a while...
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Head

Thanks for the input.

Yes, I was looking at the Gator 2U Gig Bag as well.

However, the more I think about it. The more I realize that a rolling bag would be better, as the current project I am working on might also have me bringing two fluid head tripods and a video camera as well (more equipment that I would be comfortable carrying in my hands).

I'm wondering if you guys or anyone else is familiar at all with either of these bags:

Gator GSR2UW Studio To Go Bag with Wheels | Alto Music

http://www.gatorcases.com/p/123210-323/gr-studio2gow

It's good to hear that neither of you guys had any issues with accessing the front and back of the units.

Some of my concerns involved the fact that on the front of the unit there are two handles on the front face plate of the FF800 that protrude out a bit (as well as the pre-amp gain knobs). I was worried that it might make it difficult to zip up the bag since they might be sticking out a bit.

Also you guys are able to access the rear of the unit with the cases on? According to the websites the interior of the bags seem to be much bigger than the unit would require. So I was worried that I might have to squeeze my hand through without being able to see inside to plug in and out of the 1/4" ins and outs. Is that at all an obstacle with the bags you guys are using?

Thanks again for the replies. I truly do appreciate it.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search