FOH guys attitude toward active splitters
New Reply
Subscribe
cioto
18th January 2013
Old 18th January 2013
Gear nut

FOH guys attitude toward active splitters

Hi everybody, this is not a technical topic.
I have a little 24 input passive splitter, and I would like to upgrade one day to an active one.
I wonder what is the opinion of most FOH engineers toward active splitters, particularly for making gain from the stage.
Your experience would be appreciated.
Thanks
18th January 2013
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

Transformered splits are by far the "popular" choice, in so much as they provide ground isolation and there is less chance for something to go wrong. Active splits are good, however, they are expensive and like any other electronic device, they provide another potential point of failure.

All the above being said, I see mostly passive splits, cheap, easy to make, and most of the time they work fine, the only drawback from a technical, recording point of view is that they don't offer isolation, mind you, if something is going wrong, isolation or not you probably have a problem anyway.
18th January 2013
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

Many touring guys prefer passives because their digital console preset gain staging remains fairly consistent. Many also prefer the sound of an iso split to an active one.

Google is your fiend.
19th January 2013
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

An active splitter where the house feed is simply passed-through (and the active part "samples" the signal and feeds it to recording) would be far more palatable to your random FOH guy than something that puts active circuitry in the house path.

Even a passive, tranformer-iso splitter (the least "invasive" possible) is not necessarily welcome everywhere. I suppose it depends a lot on where you are using it and your working relationship/reputation with the various FOH people.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search