Tracking-Location recording monitors? 8020A/8030A/BM5A/BM6A
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

Tracking-Location recording monitors? 8020A/8030A/BM5A/BM6A

Hi, what's your opinion about these monitors, which one would you pick for tracking in a mobile setup?
8020A
8030A
BM5A
BM6A

I'm looking for something that would give me a clear picture of what I'm going to record.
Thanks! best regards
Old 10th January 2013
LX3
Lives for gear

I find the Genelecs fun to listen to, but far from "accurate". Tend to lie to you by making everything sound a bit pretty.

Great utility monitors though - rugged design, seemingly bulletproof (even if you accidentally solo a kickdrum at full whack), and very effective mounting options. I use 8030s for video monitoring all the time.

But for recording and mix decisions where you need to confidently assess the sound you're getting.... If I had to choose between the models you list... Dynaudio. FWIW, I do my critical location monitoring on Focal Solo 6s now. Consider the KH120s though - I hear excellent things about them and quite a practical monitor to carry around.
Old 10th January 2013
Gear interested

I agree with LX3. From that list I would go with BM6, but I prefer the Focals every day.
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

My location monitors used to be the K+H O110D.

I upgraded last year to the Geithain RL906 (PDF of the SOS review is HERE).

The other good pair is the Neumann KH120A (which are the replacement for the old K+H O110).

As these are ideal location monitors, both Geithain and Neumann do a flight case and padded carrying bag option for these monitors (the Geithain is UK made but available to all Geithain dealers worldwide) so that they can be taken on location without fear of damage. Geithain also do a carrying bag for the optional table stand for the RL906.
Old 10th January 2013
Gear maniac

Hi

I use the Neumann KH120s for this purpose and have been pleased with them. I have also heard these new PMCs which were great
twotwo.5 | PMC Loudspeakers

The other contender in my find is the PSI Audio A14s or 17s

PSI Audio A17-M - eMerging

I was told these are favoured by the Abbey Road mobile but that might not be reliable information. At the cheaper end of the market, I've always liked Adams too

Matt
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

wow. location monitors.....i can't ever remember a scenario where i would have been able to use them!
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks guys for your answers!
The Neumann looks interesting and some people tends to favor it over the quite famous bm6a.. that should be nice!
thanks!
Old 10th January 2013
Gear interested

Focal CMS 50

I suggest you also look at the Focal CMS 50s for location monitoring. They are bullet-proof for transporting, built with extruded aluminum enclosures. Excellent sound for near-field to mid-field listening. Reasonably priced at $700 each.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search