New Reply
Subscribe
mortenbrekke
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear Head

streaming of concerts

Hello

With the CD-industry dying, I am hoping to see new buisness opportunities in live-recording. Streaming of concerts live seems to be growing, and with increased bandwidth-capacity, the technology to do so seems easier.
So I have a couple of questions for you:

- Do any of you work with streaming already, either feeding a different team with audio, or providing the stream yourself?

- Is there a good program to transfer digital audio into streaming?

- I have a 48 track recording system and was planning to mix the concerts myself, either by splitting the channels from the scene or getting a digital feed from the mixer, in addition to audience mics. I dont have a recording truck so I will need an acoustical seperated space in the venue and a couple of small speakers. (so if i dont find such space I might have problems?) For mixing my friends just suggested using Pro Tools with something like Command 8, in this case I could provide studio-quality mix with plugins. Or is it necessary with digital live-sound mixer? Because my recording computers uses Madi soundcard I was thinking of Allen and Heath GLD-80 w/madi card or even Behringer X-32 with madi-aes32 box from Klark. What would be your choice of setup?
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear maniac

Great idea..... But ..... Not trying to put a dampner on things but copyright and intellectual property rights?
Do they pay you? You pay them? Does the viewer pay?
Often the actual financial side of things dictates the technical path you might take rather than the other way around.
mortenbrekke
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear Head

Ozgizmo, this is only on the planning stage.. The ideal situation for me is if I only have to worry about the audio-technical side of things, and someone else can be responsible for the rest of the buisness. To create my own services directly to the public requires alot more work: then I need PR, nice internet-site etc..
This seems to be an interesting business-model:
Livestream Concerts - Powered by Livestream
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear maniac

Livestream is just a service provider, they're not the ones producing the content you see there. They're just aggregating it and providing the bandwidth.

There are lots of people doing live streaming of concerts, including major broadcast outlets, startups, venues themselves and others. NPR, Concertwindow, Jazz at Lincoln Center all do live streaming for instance.

There are many services that provide video hosting, Livestream being one of them. Livestream has recently changed their offerings and business model a bit to a no-ad service. They do have a paid service, as most pro services are of course.

Big picture, you just need to get audio into an encoder (that's doing both video and audio encoding). The best way to do that will depend on your specific requirements and only you can decide.
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

The hardest part I find about dealing with a live stream of a concert online is making sure that the audio and video sync. If you're in a situation where there are multiple cameras and a live cut happening, there is almost certainly going to be a latency. Coming off your board, there is likely pretty much no latency. You'll need to know at what point the audio and video are going to meet up and how you're going to make sure they sync.

Everything else is just standard technology and isn't really an issue to put together.

-Ben
http://www.fifthcircle.com
mortenbrekke
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear Head

thanks for good advice.. I guess you could go with high buffer-size in the audio, meaning you could use some interesting plugins.. I also looked at this little box: TV One AP-411 Lip Sync Corrector | Location Sound Corp.

For mixing the live-stream, do you guys think it will work with Pro Tools and a daw-controller like Command8, or would it be necessary with a digital-mixer?
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear maniac

All you're doing is creating a live mix of an event. If you're comfortable using ProTools, go for it. If a mixer, analog or digital suits your needs, use that.

Live mixing audio to video is nothing new. The only relatively new thing here is that the video is being distributed over the internet.

There are lots of boxes that can handle delay. Some digital mixers can also do this. I have no experience with your linked product, but the fact that it only has RCA connections would make me very suspicious.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search