16 channel multi-pair cable advice
Old 30th November 2012
Gear interested

16 channel multi-pair cable advice

Any opinions on multi-pair cable for a 75-100 foot run for remote live recording? I am looking at the Mogami W2934 and Canare MR202-at 16. Thanks in advance
Old 30th November 2012
Lives for gear

Most of the differences in longer snake runs will be about how supple the cable is and also about ease of handling. Some snakes are very stiff even after many years use. Mogami is the most supple and is an excellent snake. Canare is good to but with higher capacitance. I like GEPCO snakes too.

A 100 foot run is not long at all, so many different snakes would perform the same under that use. Plan also to get a good cable reel since that is the easiest way to deploy.
Old 30th November 2012
vtr
Gear interested

Gepco GA 61816GFC for me (22awg), really nice to strip and solder. All my other cables for remote recording are Gotham Audio & Neutrik.
Old 1st December 2012
Gear maniac

I use on a regular basis Canare, Mogami and Gepco multi core snakes.
Gepco 50m x 16 way
Canare 120m x 12 way
Canare 100m x 8 way
Mogami 70m x 12 way
Mogami 30m x 12 way

And have found that 'soft' 'flexible' snakes are such a pain to use, hard to figure 8 to pack up, hard to run out as they tangle easily, hard to carry with one or two people, catches on doorways or tight turns around things.... BUT have an advantage is they fit into road cases easily as they are so flexible.

The Gepco stiffness eliminates most of 'soft' cable problems... BUT can be a pain in the road case scenario.

(In my opinion only) the stiffness of an ideal 16way cable would be similar to a reinforced garden hose as a comparison.

These days I prefer optic fibre / digital snakes.... but even they have problems.

My dream for any developers out wanting to explore things is a (16way one direction, 8way the other) using CAT5 / 6 or video cable in a 2 RU box at each end with a 1000m (1Km) range...... Or am I just dreaming.
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzGizmo View Post
My dream for any developers out wanting to explore things is a (16way one direction, 8way the other) using CAT5 / 6 or video cable in a 2 RU box at each end with a 1000m (1Km) range...... Or am I just dreaming.
The technology is certainly there to make this product at a "popular price". However the big issue is the mic preamps. You can't do this for mic levels without a mic preamp at the stage end, and which one do you use?
Old 1st December 2012
Gear interested

Thanks for the feedback guys. Would anyone be able to compare the gepco and mogami as far as audio quality? I am leaning towards the mogami but I am a bit concerned about the durability factor and ease of use in the field. The gepco is an interesting option which I had not considered. Seems to go for about 3.50 a foot.
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrowley View Post
The technology is certainly there to make this product at a "popular price". However the big issue is the mic preamps. You can't do this for mic levels without a mic preamp at the stage end, and which one do you use?
The Gordon, with the remote, maybe? or three... or four...
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

The audio quality is the same in any cable. That's because it's a cable. Only with lengths over 1000 feet is treble rolled off a little bit.

Shielding is important in cables and there certainly are differences there.

We have used Mogami snakes HARD for over a decade. They are performing just like new.
Old 2nd December 2012
Gear maniac

+1 on the Mogami W series multipair. I have 8 pairs and 16 pairs that have held their own for 10+ years out in the field. Take the time to properly solder, heat shrink, strain relief...etc. Oh, and never wrap them around your elbow.

Last year we made up a handful of 8 pair sub-snakes that see lots of use. I had a company in Floridia (Home - Entertainment Metals- Precision Metal and Cabling Products) fabricate the boxes in red, blue & green.

Just my 2cents.

-Michael
Attached Thumbnails
16 channel multi-pair cable advice-img_0516.jpg  
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

I love working with Mogami, but I've had more issues with it in the field than any other brand. The cable is flexible and easy to work with, but my issues have been with the shielding. When running mogami anywhere near power sources, I end up with big issues with hum and buzz. Also, they seem to be more susceptable to cellular interference when that musician decides to just silence a phone rather than turn it off.

In every situation where I've had a buzz issue, it has been solved by moving to Canare, Sommercable, or Belden (Whirlwind). In general, Sommercable is probably the current favorite for me- jacket is flexible, shielding is fantastic, easy to solder... Their multipair, though, is anything but cheap.

--Ben
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear interested

Thanks for the continued feedback guys. Has anyone else had interference issues with Mogami due to the shielding?
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search