Portable recorder recommendations.
Resonator
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Gear maniac

Portable recorder recommendations.

Thinking of picking up a portable recorder to record some samples indoors and out.
Been looking at the Zoom H1 and some of the Tascam models DR-05, DR-07MKII AND DR-08.
Any opinions on which of these is best or most suited to sample recording anything from outdoor ambiences to close up sampling of sounds?Or any other options worth considering?
The DR-07MKII and DR-08 have positionable microphones,is there any advantage to this?
I'm not fantastically knowledgeable on microphones and microphone technique so any advice would be appreciated.
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Gear maniac

If you do a search for those makes and models on the forum you will find lots of information. You often learn lots more by going through previous threads and replies.
If there is any specific info that hasn't been covered don't hesitate to ask.
Resonator
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzGizmo View Post
If you do a search for those makes and models on the forum you will find lots of information. You often learn lots more by going through previous threads and replies.
If there is any specific info that hasn't been covered don't hesitate to ask.
I have gone through lots of the older threads.Some of them several years old and found some useful info.The Tascams don't seem to be talked about much.
It was bump an older thread or start a new one.

I'd find info on why different models have their microphones configured differently useful.I'm mainly looking to record sound samples more than recording say guitar or trumpet or something.So i'm interested in what mike configuration is best for this.
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

The Olympus LS-100 is nice as is the new Roland.

Yes, the Tascam units are also good.

Nagra has recently launched the new LINO which appears to be a more affordable SD but with fixed microphones (but avoid the new PICO, which appears to be designed for radio reporters). The Nagra SD is excellent (I have one) and I expect the LINO to be likewise.
TSM
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
TSM
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
as is the new Roland.
Hi John,
Which model are you describing?
Thanks
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM View Post
Hi John,
Which model are you describing?
Thanks
R-26
Resonator
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Gear maniac

Cheers for the replies,hadn't really looked at the Roland.
That and the Olympus are probably going to be out of my price range though.
I can pick a Tascam DR-08 up quite cheap.It could well suit my purposes as I don't want all the bells and whistles such as effects etc.
I'm not going to rush though i'll have a good look around first.
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

I've had the DR-05 for about a year. Battery life is excellent. The control layout is good. It uses micro SD cards which I've found to be a drawback in the sense that they are so small, it's easy to misplace one.

I recently bought a DR-2d when it was the stupid deal of the day at MF for $99 US. The recording quality seems to be improved over the Dr-05 even though the mics are still in a fixed position. I prefer the control layout and design of the DR-05 over the DR-2d. The DR-2d uses normal size SDHC cards. Battery life is not as good as with the DR-05-IMO.

Tascam has a new model out which has XLR inputs on the body of the recorder. I haven't heard it, but it has a similar body/control style to the DR-05. Might be worth the extra $ to get those XLR inputs?
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search