Login / Register

Half Rackspace recorder with Digital Input?
New Reply
Subscribe
celticrogues
9th August 2012
Old 9th August 2012
Lives for gear

Half Rackspace recorder with Digital Input?

Hi guys,

I need a backup recorder for my portable rig and I'm hoping to find something that fits in a half rackspace. I only need 2 channels, but I do need a digital SPDIF input.

I found this: Denon DN-F450R Rackmount Solid-State Digital Audio DN-F450R B&H
but it only has analog I/O :(

I know about the Sound Devices stuff but that is pretty pricy for a backup recorder. Any other options out there?

Thanks!
-Mike

Mike Fowler

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3451358

reverbrecording@gmail.com
www.mobileadrny.com
10th August 2012
Old 10th August 2012
Gear Head

I have a Marantz PMD670 that has S/PDIF and fulfils precisely this purpose. Not sure they're made anymore, but you might be able to pick one up second hand.
celticrogues
10th August 2012
Old 10th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by digistu View Post
I have a Marantz PMD670 that has S/PDIF and fulfils precisely this purpose. Not sure they're made anymore, but you might be able to pick one up second hand.
Thanks digistu that looks perfect! And it does fit into a half rack space? It looks a little taller than 1RU in pictures but they could be deceiving. I only have that much space left in my rack.

Thanks!
-Mike
10th August 2012
Old 10th August 2012
Lives for gear

10th August 2012
Old 10th August 2012
Gear Head

You know what, I reckon you're right. I've just measured it and it's just about 5mm too big. Sorry about that!
10th August 2012
Old 10th August 2012
Lives for gear

Well, it is not rack gear, but I used the M-Audio Microtrack for this purpose for years. It has SPDIF input. It is small enough to fit in a half rack space for storage, but you'd need to take it out to operate it given where the buttons are located. I had it attached to a rack shelf with velcro. Not the prettiest of solutions, but cheap and effective. A nice bonus is it can be used standalone using battery power if you need a quick stereo recording and don't want to bring your whole rack. Very handy for band rehearsals etc.
"If you have to flip back and forward, A/Bing to work out the differences, it's not "night and day" - any more than you have to blink many times to work out the difference between dark and light." Psycho_Monkey
BRH
10th August 2012
Old 10th August 2012
BRH
Gear Head

celticrogues
11th August 2012
Old 11th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by digistu View Post
You know what, I reckon you're right. I've just measured it and it's just about 5mm too big. Sorry about that!
Bummer - thanks anyway, that was a good thought.

-Mike
celticrogues
11th August 2012
Old 11th August 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks guys

nierbod, thanks for the suggestion, but I do need to be able to operate it in a rack.

BRH - I have looked at full rack space gear but I would prefer to fit more in less space - I have another half rack unit that I would love to be able to include.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks guys!
-Mike
celticrogues
14th August 2012
Old 14th August 2012
Lives for gear

Just a friendly bump to see if anyone else has any thoughts.

That DR-680 is a little taller than 1RU too.

Thanks guys!
-Mike
23rd October 2013
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by neirbod View Post
Well, it is not rack gear, but I used the M-Audio Microtrack for this purpose for years. It has SPDIF input. It is small enough to fit in a half rack space for storage, but you'd need to take it out to operate it given where the buttons are located. I had it attached to a rack shelf with velcro. Not the prettiest of solutions, but cheap and effective. A nice bonus is it can be used standalone using battery power if you need a quick stereo recording and don't want to bring your whole rack. Very handy for band rehearsals etc.
Hello,

I was wondering if the multitrack would record in 24bit from his SPDIF input? Together with a Audient MICO powered by a drill battery it would be a fantastic field recording device!
25th October 2013
Old 25th October 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by neirbod View Post
That's the main recorder I use as well. I have a Cell Phone holder that I tape to the top of my Pre. It mounts the MAudio at a good angle, and allows me to connect the power and SPDIF cable.
25th October 2013
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Sony pcm-d50 with a spdif to toslink converter?
26th October 2013
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

While you're looking at a bunch of these things, many of which are portable and or discontinued, Tascam has a new product, the DA-3000. It's about a grand and it was introduced last summer. It plugs into a mains and is about half the cost of an SD-702.

It looks somewhat impressive.
Tascam DA3000 - Summer NAMM 2013 - YouTube
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search