QSC k 12 vs Line 6 L3t
New Reply
Subscribe
Peacock
4th June 2012
Old 4th June 2012
Lives for gear

QSC k 12 vs Line 6 L3t

We are currently upgrading our live PA system. We now have a Presonus Studio Live 16:4.

We perform an acoustic act involving 2 vocals and 2 acoustic gtrs playing classic rock and pop from the 50's - 90's.

We also have a 4 piece band that plays 50's boogie and use a variety of instruments including bass DI, acoustics DI. drums gtr cabs, Keys DI
sax etc.

We already own a QSC K12 that we use as a monitor. I was looking at the Line 6 L3t and considering purchasing 2 of these for fronts or buying 2 more K 12's.

We play to gigs ranging from 20 people to around 300 and from small bars to an open market about 4000 square feet.

Anybody have an opinion on these 2 speakers or others in this price range?
4th June 2012
Old 4th June 2012
Lives for gear

QSC IMO, K12 sounds great
4th June 2012
Old 4th June 2012
Lives for gear

Qsc k12 is a well proven entity. Not many reports on the line 6 yet. Go qsc if for no other reason than you can subrent more if needed.
4th June 2012
Old 4th June 2012
Lives for gear

I haven't heard the Line 6 speaker, but have worked with several of 15/3-way speakers (Community XLT-46, Mackie's powered 3-way and ISP's powered 3-way). I haven't worked with a dual-10 PA speaker. My preference leans toward 12/2 designs (I own EV Sx200, Sx500, and RCF ART322) and most of the amps in my racks are QSC. I have used QSC K10 (main) and K8 (monitor wedges) at an installation I work twice a year. That said...

The Line 6 is 1/3-more weight (58 lb vs. 41 lb) and $350 more costly. It would be a bit more difficult to pole-mount (I use Applied Electronics 11' crank stands for better dispersion in large rooms or outdoors). It is rated at 132dB max spl, and has a 100x50 dispersion. The K12 is good for 130 dB and has a 75x75 dispersion.

The K10s I've worked with are flown in a small auditorium, and have a nice, even pattern. My RCFs are 90x60 and have a bit more "reach" (I've used them in the same room). Both sounded good once a bit of tuning for room resonances was done.

My suggestion would be to try a demo of both speakers, side-by-side, in as large a space as you can arrange. A/B same source, listen to the FR, walk the edges of the patterns, and make your choice. On paper, the Line 6 would go a half-octave deeper (not sure that's helpful until bass/kick/synth sounds are part of the mix... and a pair of powered subs would be good in that scenario) and the K12 might have a bit smoother mid/upper-mid "vocal" sound, as the Line 6 looks to do some DSP tricks with the second 10' driver in that region. But that's a guess...

In my search about six years ago for a "bang-for-the-buck" and single-man-portable solution, I chose RCF ART322As. I've yet to regret that decision. I own six of them, which makes for a great 2-main (over Mackie 1801 subs), 4-wedge system, or a 4-speaker meeting/banquet room setup (up to 800 seats), with a couple of on-site spares. The only speaker I've heard that would, in my situation, be a step up would be Meyer's UPQ-1P. But that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish... and a whole bunch more moolah.

Let us know what you learn.

HB
4th June 2012
Old 4th June 2012
Lives for gear

The rcf art speakers are great in every way except they don't look corporate enough for my clients.
4th June 2012
Old 4th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
The rcf art speakers are great in every way except they don't look corporate enough for my clients.
Interesting. In 12 years of corporate A/V work across probably 25 clients (half of them multiple repeats), I have never had one say a word about how my speakers (EV Sx200, Sx500, JBL EON G1, Community XLT-46, and RCF ART322a) look.

What they do mention is the lack of feedback, how good the screens look, and they like my walk-in selections...
5th June 2012
Old 5th June 2012
Lives for gear

Not all but some of my clients are specific about boxes being flat black with nondescript grills when used in visible applications. Specifically no eons. They request Meyer and nexo and will happily accept the much cheaper qsc's.
5th June 2012
Old 5th June 2012
Gear addict

JBL PRX612M should be on your list.

...Awesome!
5th June 2012
Old 5th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not all but some of my clients are specific about boxes being flat black with nondescript grills when used in visible applications. Specifically no eons. They request Meyer and nexo and will happily accept the much cheaper qsc's.
My clients usually are small to mid-size (100 to 800) association conventions/events with no telecast. RCFs, being flat, neutral dark brown pretty much disappear; the G2 are black and get their grilles shot (JBL logo as well) flat black about every six months, or when they start looking dinged. what I do know is that they usually look better than the rental stock on-property at most venues.

I have far more trouble getting the banquet set-up staff to pin or clamp the BG pipe'n'drape to keep the aluminum uprights from showing all across the stage... Now THAT's noticeable...
Peacock
7th June 2012
Old 7th June 2012
Lives for gear

thank you all for the replies
7th June 2012
Old 7th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
BTW... I wish my clients would request/require Meyer or Nexo... I would have no problem buying them if budgets from long-term, repeat clients would allow it... i.e., allow me to amortize $2.5K a box over a year or two.
8th June 2012
Old 8th June 2012
Taking Down your Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
QSC IMO, K12 sounds great
Agreed.
I love the k12 as a vocal monitor. Nice eq options. Power enough to rip off your face. Lightweight. Good build quality. Reliable.
For monitor you might just need the k-10. It's a beast.
8th June 2012
Old 8th June 2012
Lives for gear

I recently got four EV EFX-112Ps for monitors, and for mains in smaller gigs. I think they are as good as the QSCs and 20% less cost.

First use was a mains for a bluegrass band in a 900 seat gym-like church. Sounded fabulous! Only comment from audients was turn them down a bit... and it was not distortion, just too loud!
8th June 2012
Old 8th June 2012
Taking Down your Network

I've used a pair of EV zx series I think it was- the powered ones with 15" woofs. They are also beasts. EV has a serious power section.
The woofers cost dearly to replace on EVs. Last time I got new ones for the zx's I used eminence, at half the cost.
The A1 at that club preferred them to the original woofs (front fills duty). And he's no punter; several gold records hang in his project studio.

I'd love to have EV or QSCs if I were building a new portable club system.
8th June 2012
Old 8th June 2012
Lives for gear

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search