Login / Register

Need to rent a pair of 1000' venue cables in the states?
New Reply
Subscribe
roonsbane
30th May 2012
Old 30th May 2012
Gear addict

Need to rent a pair of 1000' venue cables in the states?

Hey Slutz,

We have a huge event in a few weeks in the twin cities area where we need to run less than 1000' of digital interconnect cable from the stage box to a venue for a live broadcast mix. We have had a hard time getting more than 500' and have been told that you can't connect together two 500' cables to make this connection. We have contacted Allied, who is supplying some gear for the event, with no luck. Last year we ended putting a stage box 500' closer and running a crap load of analog cables from there. We would like to avoid some of this kluge this year.

Does anyone have this amount of the specified venue cable that they would consider renting and is 1000' even possible?

Thanks in advance.
Cameron
30th May 2012
Old 30th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roonsbane View Post
Hey Slutz,

We have a huge event in a few weeks in the twin cities area where we need to run less than 1000' of digital interconnect cable from the stage box to a venue for a live broadcast mix. We have had a hard time getting more than 500' and have been told that you can't connect together two 500' cables to make this connection. We have contacted Allied, who is supplying some gear for the event, with no luck. Last year we ended putting a stage box 500' closer and running a crap load of analog cables from there. We would like to avoid some of this kluge this year.

Does anyone have this amount of the specified venue cable that they would consider renting and is 1000' even possible?

Thanks in advance.
Cameron
Are we talking AES, MADI, Cat 6, or fiber optic (ST glass)?
roonsbane
30th May 2012
Old 30th May 2012
Gear addict

Hi tenor,

Sorry I did not include that info. I am a bit unclear as to the exact digidesign spec as our venue is new to us and I have never personally set it up, but this is what I am told. My colleague says he thinks it is 75 ohm BNC cable wrapped in two pairs, send and receive X 2. One is a backup pair to the first. Maybe there is venue guru who could confirm this. I know that digidesign does not use MADI which is what I know a bit more about, but maybe that MADI coaxial cable would work?

Sorry I don't know more as I am not the A1 on this event, but just learned we were missing the long cables and thought the slutz would be helpful. Wonder slutz power, activate!
Cameron
30th May 2012
Old 30th May 2012
Gear Head

According to the Stage Rack documentation:

• Connector (x4): BNC male
• Cable Type: Coaxial, 75 ohm
• Max Length: 250 ft (76 m) Belden 1885A or
500 ft (152 m) Belden 1694A

I think you may run into problems with a 1000' cable run. It might be best to contact them (Edit: by "them" I mean Avid) and see what solutions they can offer.
roonsbane
30th May 2012
Old 30th May 2012
Gear addict

Oh! Great info 4130. That seals the deal then doesn't it. Not gonna happen!
Thanks!
Cameron
31st May 2012
Old 31st May 2012
Lives for gear

Hey Cam,
One thing you might try is using a pair of fiber to coax converters. Single mode fibers will go to a few kilometers. A decent pair of transceivers will set you back about the same price as 1000' of RG6.
All the best,
-mark
roonsbane
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Gear addict

Hey Mark,
That is an idea, it probably has to be a rental situation since, as big an event as this is for us, it only happens once a year. I will look into this solution a bit. We are at 16 days so it's getting a bit tight.

Thanks and I hope life is good!
Cameron
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search