New Reply
Subscribe
GES
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Gear nut

ribbons + condensers

Hi!
Which ribbons are you combining with other condensers to get a warm yet defined sound?
I am testing a three combination microphone with this romantic guitar, that I will be able to try in a good hall in the next days. This was made in a living room: i would prefer further away...but this room is no good to try that

The mics are Samson VR88 and two Milab dc196
The instrument is fantastic....
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 mertz.mp3 (2.50 MB, 93 views)
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Gear maniac

"warm and defined" is exactly how I'd describe the DC196. I used to own a pair and found their sound to be between that of a ribbon and a condenser. In a good room, I'm not sure what adding the Samson would do for you and may actually lead to a worse sound than the Milabs alone. Have you found the DC196 lacking on their own?
www.AccurateRecording.com
GES
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Gear nut

Not at all, I find the Milab mics fantastic! I do almost all recordings with just this pair, just I am experimenting with this ribbon, which I find a little too dark. But I will experiment more in better acoustics...
This is because lately I've been thinking in getting a good pair of ribbons, so I am starting to play with that sound... But the milabs are great!
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Gear maniac

Ah, that makes sense, a lot people will use omnis as outriggers for a ribbon mic. The Milabs may work, but they are so ribbonlike already that they may not brighten up the soun enough. Out of curiosity, what configuration are you using? Have you tried blumlein or ms with the Milabs?

Beautiful playing by the way, I think it will sound great regardless of the mics!
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Lives for gear

No matter how dark the condenser the transient response (esp on guitar) will be audible. Even if the ribbon is very dark, you can use HFEQ and the condensers to open the sound if desired. Spending time on the ribbon configuration and placement is key.

I find that ribbons are most useful when you want the tone rather than the attack to be predominant.

Rich
912-484-8451
http://www.sonarerecordings.com/
GES
1st May 2012
Old 1st May 2012
Gear nut

i used ortf with the Milab and the ribbon in the middle a little closer to the guitar...
Do you know guys any of the VR1 or VR2 or RNR1 of seelectronics? It´s attractive to have both ribbon and HF in one mic...
GES
3rd May 2012
Old 3rd May 2012
Gear nut

Accurate, this is my first blumlein try ever...liked it a lot, still bad room though...but I will do this technique more...that's for sure!
the picture is how the guitar was seeing the mics at about 1 or 1.5 meters and following the inclination of the instrument upwards...
Attached Thumbnails
ribbons + condensers-blumleindc196.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 mertzblumlein.mp3 (929.6 KB, 47 views)
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search