How would you mic this stage?
recordinghopkins
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Shark Sandwich

How would you mic this stage?

I'm preparing for a recital recording on Wednesday, and thought I'd post this to see what your suggestions would be. Each piece will be solo, except the last two. Solo marimba, solo steel pan, solo multi-percussion, duet Marimba/Vibes, and then on the last piece the performer will play steel pan with a salsa band that will rise up on the orchestra pit.

I'm thinking stereo pair, with a spot mic for the steel pan. However I'm concerned with stereo imaging, as it will gradually shift from left to right as the concert progresses. That might be kind of cool, but I am really interested in hearing how others would do this! Maybe a pair of outriggers panned center and time aligned to anchor the image on the solo marimba and marimba/vibes pieces?
Attached Thumbnails
How would you mic this stage?-recital.jpg  
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

I'd be real tempted to put up one main pair, set to represent a fairly narrow stage (ORTF or NOS back out in the room a bit?) and then mic each element with its own pair, wherever my ears tell me they need to be. Unless there's a wide video shot to support a "realistic" presentation, I'd think a nice picture (as if each element was front-and-center) would be appropriate. I'm sure that there would be some "room" sound differences from set piece to set piece, but that might be less troublesome than trying to capture the entire stage with a single pair, or a pair and spots.

If there's time, you (or an assistant) might move a pair from spike to spike, with the room pair in place. That gets you down with four mics.

Of course, coming up with five nice pairs might be tricky... I'd offer mine, but I'm on the road in Pittsburgh and San Francisco for the next ten days.
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Gear Head

I've set up a stereo pair and just turned it whenever a new ensemble came on stage. Here is an example. All I did was loosened the stand and turned it 45 degrees. When the soloist was done, I turned it back. I would rather have a good recording and happy client instead of them telling me that it sounds like they're going to fall over. It's a pretty easy way to solve your problem but if you're not able to do that, or willing, micing everything might be your only choice.
Attached Thumbnails
How would you mic this stage?-_dsc0865.jpg  
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Gear interested

What an awesome dilemma!
I LOVE all that concert percussion stuff.
A very simple solution, too simple for most tastes:
1 good mic!
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedXNightshade View Post
What an awesome dilemma!
I LOVE all that concert percussion stuff.
A very simple solution, too simple for most tastes:
1 good mic!
Better be one with really smooth off-axis frequency response...

That said, as long as we're "what if"-ing, if you could rent or borrow a really nice X/Y LDC (Peluso, Brauner...) get it at a reasonably equal distance from each piece of solo kit (the salsa band will be much closer, obviously)... might be interesting...
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Gear interested

[QUOTE=hbphotoav;7762863]Better be one with really smooth off-axis frequency response...
QUOTE]

I absolutely agree. Without naming names, I'd say a certain German hypercardioid would be just the ticket...
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by recordinghopkins View Post
I'm preparing for a recital recording on Wednesday, and thought I'd post this to see what your suggestions would be. Each piece will be solo, except the last two. Solo marimba, solo steel pan, solo multi-percussion, duet Marimba/Vibes, and then on the last piece the performer will play steel pan with a salsa band that will rise up on the orchestra pit.

I'm thinking stereo pair, with a spot mic for the steel pan. However I'm concerned with stereo imaging, as it will gradually shift from left to right as the concert progresses. That might be kind of cool, but I am really interested in hearing how others would do this! Maybe a pair of outriggers panned center and time aligned to anchor the image on the solo marimba and marimba/vibes pieces?
What's the hall/room sound like?
Peace
recordinghopkins
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Shark Sandwich

Awesome responses!
The hall is really just OK. The back wall has large diffusion array, or curtains that can be pulled, and there are retractable curtains on the side walls as well. This will be a capacity crowd, which will have a significant effect on ambience and I will likely be adding a nice reverb. So I'm thinking no omnis on this gig...

I really like the idea of adjusting the direction of the main pair, combined with moving a pair of spots. I would do 6 mics in this case, one main pair, two spots, and a pair of cards on opposite sides of the room for audience response.

Here's a couple more pics of the hall. The flown mic is a permanent install for everyday documentation of student recitals. Some students hire me for their senior or graduate recital, as the one XY mic fits all approach is really only good enough for archival purposes. I do have the ability to mult it to my rig though, or import it from a CD, which might be easier. They are kind of afraid of anyone interfacing with the house system from lack of knowledge and previous attempts by others where things were not returned to their proper set it and forget it configuration.
Attached Thumbnails
How would you mic this stage?-mtsu-hinton-hall.jpg   How would you mic this stage?-screen-shot-2012-04-10-10.32.35-am.jpg  
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search