Recording two copies at once...easy backup
New Reply
Subscribe
BillEl
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear Head

Recording two copies at once...easy backup

Anything else out there with the same capabilities as the Metric Halo stuff?

It can send a copy to a firewire drive through its Record Panel while simultaneously sending it via AES to your DAW, pretty convenient.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillEl View Post
Anything else out there with the same capabilities as the Metric Halo stuff?

It can send a copy to a firewire drive through its Record Panel while simultaneously sending it via AES to your DAW, pretty convenient.
I send up to eight channels to both DAW (Logic) HDD and a Alesis HD24 using the analog outputs from a Apogee Ensemble. Assigning inputs 1-8 (from a D.A.V. BG8) directly to output 1-8 is accomplished in the Maestro control utility that comes with the Ensemble. I also send a rough mix (for performance evaluation) from one of the two Maestro software mixers to SPDIF out and a Tascam 900 CD burner. The client walks away with that after it's finalized.

When I need more than 8 channels, I use a PreSonus StudioLive 24.4.2 FireWire direct through either Logic or the PreSonus "Capture" app to HDD, send the 24 analog direct outputs (on three DB25 ADAT connectors) to the HD24 and do a rough mix on channel faders sent to the Tascam 900 from the "RecOut" RCA jacks.

Like that, do you mean?
GES
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
GES
Gear nut

the rme UFX can record through its front panel usb conector to a hard drive, no need for a computer. Of course it can record to the DAW and HD at the same time.
BillEl
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear Head

I like the convenience of being able to make a duplicate right to a hard drive, no need for a second whole processor especially if it's just a secondary recording system anyways.

Are there other benefits to using something like the Alesis HD24 if it's literally just for backup?
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
I like the convenience of being able to make a duplicate right to a hard drive, no need for a second whole processor especially if it's just a secondary recording system anyways.

Are there other benefits to using something like the Alesis HD24 if it's literally just for backup?
I used to use HD24 as a backup but now I switched to Fireface UFX. You can get 30 channels into your DAW and back them up straight to a USB drive, all using a one rack space unit. Very convenient, reliable - works great for me.
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

I don't yet have the gear to run two completely separate recording systems, but I do often run a second computer/interface, and daisy-chain ADAT out from my Fireface (using it's internal routing).

I record on-location in Reaper (it's by far the most stable DAW I've used) which also tracks onto two drives. A little convoluted to set up (you have to go through and enable it on each track) but it works!
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Just to be a total dweeb, what do you do if you have an issue with your interface on location...?

I know there is always a bottleneck but it's worth considering that the interface if hard to find a quick solution to (integration and driver issues etc.).

Best,
Silas
Legacy Mastering
Mastering for classical, jazz, and acoustic music
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Gear nut

Send a message via ICQ to Ifrit
As far as I know, RADAR can record to 2 HDs at once, thus creating instantaneous backup. And UFX's feature seems to be very attractive.

Quote:
Just to be a total dweeb, what do you do if you have an issue with your interface on location...?
What do you do if your main mic pre is having issue?
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

i split off my octopres analog to HD24, and digital to pro tools. works well. also, from pro tools you can record to two drives simultaneously.

The Kingstown Project
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifrit View Post
What do you do if your main mic pre is having issue?
For sure - as I said there is always a bottleneck in a studio system. But since the OP is exploring redundant recording interfaces I thought I'd throw out what I see as a disadvantage of these generally very cool new boxes = it brings the bottleneck to a much trickier area.

IME, it's much easier to locate a reasonable substitute for a mic pre on location (or bring extra and swap it in in a few seconds) than it is to expect to very quickly find and swap in a new / different interface. Drivers, integration issues, having to reset all of your settings on a new control panel (routing etc) are daunting under pressure (been there, never want to again).

Perhaps the answer is to buy and schlep 2 of the interfaces;-) They certainly are cheaper and smaller than many other solutions.

Best,
Silas
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
I'm screwed, although if it's an important recording, I'll often stick up a stereo pair somewhere and have that going into a separate system so I've at least got something to work with...

Having said that, the RME is stupendously reliable. I have not had a single issue with stability, and it's now been in heavy use 5 days a week for the last 2-1/2 years. I have the built-in routing set-up and stored in internal memory to behave exactly as I need it to, so should I have a driver (or Mac) issue, I still get a recording down. I also often take a stereo feed off the desk.

I know it can be frowned upon not to run a sonically identical backup system, but just bear in mind that I'm a student at the moment, not someone who's doing critical recordings, although the standard of musicianship I record is generally very high, so I do try my best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
I know there is always a bottleneck but it's worth considering that the interface if hard to find a quick solution to (integration and driver issues etc.).

Best,
Silas
Very true! I do trust the RME with my life though, in fact more so than I trust the console (01V96)...
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
Having said that, the RME is stupendously reliable. I have not had a single issue with stability, and it's now been in heavy use 5 days a week for the last 2-1/2 years....
Very true! I do trust the RME with my life though, in fact more so than I trust the console (01V96)...
That's good to hear. RME is clearly doing the right things right if that makes any sense. I've only used their stuff a little but it was robust and clearly laid out.

We need reliable tools like this in the field - it's already crazy enough out there...

-Silas
BillEl
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear Head

All great comments, thanks!

Any info on the reliability of the Metric Halo stuff? I've heard great things about its Recording Panel but nothing so specifically about this issue.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Reaper can record to two different drives at once FWIW.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozpeter View Post
Reaper can record to two different drives at once FWIW.
I always track to two drives. Splitting the files every 1024mb and staggering their offset is always a good idea too on longer recordings.
BillEl
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear Head

Do you find if you have a problem writing to the drives its an issue with the drives or the DAW? I thought it might be best to have two devices writing the data as opposed to one writing it to two locations.

Is it correct to say with the Metric and UFX they are writing the data and also more or less passing it along to the DAW to also write?
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Do you find if you have a problem writing to the drives its an issue with the drives or the DAW? I thought it might be best to have two devices writing the data as opposed to one writing it to two locations.

Is it correct to say with the Metric and UFX they are writing the data and also more or less passing it along to the DAW to also write?
One difference between the metric halo stuff and the UFX is that the metric stuff requires a host computer to record. The UFX can use its onboard processor to write audio directly to a USB drive, no host computer required.

In other words, if your computer crashes with the MH box, or you accidentally pull a FW cable out, you're hosed unless you are backing up to some additional external recorder using the AES outs (signal routing is done on the interface, not in software).
BillEl
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear Head

6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

I am not sure about MH, but I tested the Orpheus with a backup system in mind and found it to be lacking (although it does sound great). I wanted to take an analogue or digital signal out from the Orpheus to standalone recorder as backup. It does continue to pass audio through its outputs if the computer is disconnected, but only after the audio drops out for a few seconds. After some discussion with Prism support, I found this is normal behavior and not just a bad unit. I would test this carefully with the MH before trusting it as a backup hub.

See this thread for all the details:
Orpheus - pulling the plug for location work?

RME gear, on the other hand, passes audio perfectly even if the computer is disconnected (e.g., OS crash, firewire cable pulls out). For this reason, as well as its incredible stability, I trust RME units as a hub in my backup system. The UFX makes it even easier and more flexible given the direct to USB recording feature.
"If you have to flip back and forward, A/Bing to work out the differences, it's not "night and day" - any more than you have to blink many times to work out the difference between dark and light." Psycho_Monkey
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search