Midas Pro 2 and Pro 2C
New Reply
Subscribe
tombo
9th February 2012
Old 9th February 2012
Gear interested

Talking Midas Pro 2 and Pro 2C

Hi Guys, I am interested in the new Midas Console, the Pro 2. After looking on their website it all sounds great, but can I really trust what they are telling me?

I understand it is a DSP based digital mixing console, and the clue to my apprehension of this console is the fact they say 'Up to 28 Klark Technic GEQ's'...the give away being the 'Up to' part.

Has anyone used one? Can anyone elaborate on the architecture of the console...Can i really get 64 simultaneous inputs whilst mixing with 27 busses? Do I need to start sacrificing parts of the I/O to get more FX resources?

It annoys me when Manufacturers tell you porkies ...no!

Any help would be great.

Cheers
9th February 2012
Old 9th February 2012
Gear Head

Hi, so there's 56 channels plus 8 fx returns. 16 aux + 8 matrix + L R M
The FX amounts are as follows you can choose from 6 FX + 8 GEQ, 5 FX + 12 GEQ, 4 FX + 16 GEQ, 3 FX + 20 GEQ, 2 FX + 24 GEQ, 1 FX + 28 GEQ. I believe that's correct. I've never mixed on one but I'm looking forward to it.
tombo
10th February 2012
Old 10th February 2012
Gear interested

Ok then, so that would be 56 mono plus the 8 fx return aux...which i believe can be made into Input channels minus dynamics processing? So that would total 64 inputs.

Again, on the website it says 27 mix bussess...you have 16 mono Aux busses, and if you didn't use the return aux for extra channels, would boost the total up to 24...where is the 27 from then? Something to do with the L/R/C and the master buss maybe?

Interesting about the GEQ's, although I am a firm believer of less is more when I am FOH, it is quite annoying of the compromise you have to decide on.

I wonder if it is the same about with the POP groups and VCA groups too...
tombo
10th February 2012
Old 10th February 2012
Gear interested

I also would really like to know how many insert points per channel there are too...!
27th February 2012
Old 27th February 2012
Gear interested

Recording Capability?

I am too very interested in checking this little work horse out. The live sound company I work for (High Peaks Sound) will be having a demo of the board in a couple weeks, so any questions on this forum will be brought up to the tech. What I want to know is the console's recording capability. Is there any software out there that is compatible? How does the Pro2 interface with a DAW? I notice that there are AES ins and outs, does this mean that I can interface with my HD192 I/O? In Midas' FAQ section, they say yes. Anybody try this out yet?

I'll let ya'll know how the demo goes.

-Bryan
Welcome to High Peaks Sound
27th February 2012
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

You will need an AES50 to multiple AES3 converter if you want to record several channels. I´m not sure if there are any available to do this.

klark Teknik has a rackmount converter that can do AES50 to MADI but I am almost certain it cannot do what you need.

WT
27th February 2012
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

I'd just be the devil's advocate..
Sure the midas Pro is a nice console, but what about a Digico? Plenty of input and outputs and they have a MADI usb dongle to record all your tracks..
Processing power is outstanding as well..

I'd seriously consider this option..

Just my 0.02$,

Cheu

www.masterdaelion.com
A new, breaktrough way of reading your music scores.

"If you want to be given everything, give everything up"

www.qtrio.ch

www.studio21.ch

Quote:
We're only as good as the musicians we keep; the same goes for the musicians. - Remoteness
27th February 2012
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Midas will always be Midas.....

WT
28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

Sure the Pro series is one of the very few (IMO) nice digital desks around.. But for the money involved, routing options, processing power, sound quality and last but not least workflow I'd choose a Digico.. Or at least consider it..

I must admit that the feel of the board is also nice and it definitely sounds good (hey for that money it should).. But I find the workflow cumbersome sometimes.. (but this is a very personal point of view of course).

Just my 0.02$,

Cheu
28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

True that,

a friend just got his Pro-2 delivered. It will be fun to try it out.

Digico is also very nice and the fact that they use Madi is a plus.

WT
tombo
21st March 2012
Old 21st March 2012
Gear interested

I also think DiGiCo are one of the best and if not *bracing for backlash* the best digital mixing console manufacturer around. The amount of customisation and power in their consoles is incredible. The SD9 is also cheaper than the Pro 2, and the specs they state are actually true!

I find the delay compensation parameters rediculous in the Pro2. If your in Monitor Mix low latency mode you have no Inserts, FX returns or GEQ’s on your Aux sends and no insert points or GEQ on your master. Pretty sure the cost of the klark-technic aes50 to madi netwrork bridges costs the same as a small mixing console as well!
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Gear interested

Apples and Oranges

Alright I went to the demo, and the Midas Pro2 is indeed sick. Really easy to move around on the board, and the Pop Groups feature is great. The 3 things I was not a fan of:

Their wireless feature is kind of sub-par in comparison to other digital consoles out there. You can only use an ipad or apple (midas OS operates on unix/linux) and you can not make fader movements via the ipad. No more mixing from your tablet! Granted, I don't enjoy mixing on a tablet. However, in certain settings where the console is not in front of the speakers or you have multiple arrays in the field, it is quite a nice feature.

Secondly, the recording feature is very limited. There's really only one option according to the midas rep. A Lynx PCIe card that intefaces with AES50 (Midas's protocol - bidirectional cat 5 or cat 6 cable). Here's a link:

Recording: Lynx Studio Technology Introduces AES16e-50 With AES50 Interface At Winter NAMM ‘09 - Pro Sound Web

Lastly, as of now, Midas Pro2 does not support third party plugins. I think they have only a handful of efx onboard and are working on pairing up with TC Electronics (which would be bomb).

But I digress, the console is a beauty and sounds great. All top of the line Midas pres, with control over the analog mic pre and the digital trim. All digital consoles have their pros and cons. Apples and Oranges, what are you hungry for?

14th August 2012
Old 14th August 2012
Gear interested

Just wanted to update the information on the recording interface. Lynx should work fine, but if you wanted to get the KT DN9650, it would do an AES50 to nearly anything conversion. IE, theres a model that does AES50 to Dante for under $1K.

Klark Teknik | DN9650
16th November 2012
Old 16th November 2012
Gear interested

Pro2

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingofsound View Post
Alright I went to the demo, and the Midas Pro2 is indeed sick. Really easy to move around on the board, and the Pop Groups feature is great. The 3 things I was not a fan of:

Their wireless feature is kind of sub-par in comparison to other digital consoles out there. You can only use an ipad or apple (midas OS operates on unix/linux) and you can not make fader movements via the ipad. No more mixing from your tablet! Granted, I don't enjoy mixing on a tablet. However, in certain settings where the console is not in front of the speakers or you have multiple arrays in the field, it is quite a nice feature.

Secondly, the recording feature is very limited. There's really only one option according to the midas rep. A Lynx PCIe card that intefaces with AES50 (Midas's protocol - bidirectional cat 5 or cat 6 cable). Here's a link:

Recording: Lynx Studio Technology Introduces AES16e-50 With AES50 Interface At Winter NAMM ‘09 - Pro Sound Web

Lastly, as of now, Midas Pro2 does not support third party plugins. I think they have only a handful of efx onboard and are working on pairing up with TC Electronics (which would be bomb).

But I digress, the console is a beauty and sounds great. All top of the line Midas pres, with control over the analog mic pre and the digital trim. All digital consoles have their pros and cons. Apples and Oranges, what are you hungry for?

Gents,

Just to clarify, as there is a lot of misinformation in this thread regarding the PRO2 and various options.

The iPad app gives you control of ALL faders on the console. It also allows control of monitor mixes (fader flip) and VCA's (and also MCA's). You can use multiple iPads connected to a single console and also lock the iPad so that it can only control one mix. You can also control GEQ's. The Mixtender iPad control was specifically designed for mixing monitors. We have a second App in development which will be a full remote control for the PRO Series consoles.

Recording is not that hard. The DN9650 allows interfacing with pretty much any protocol and because it is CM1 card based it is future proofed. The CM1 card format is limited to 64 channels bi-directionally and as MADI for instance doesn't easily support higher sample rates (as the channel count halves each time) this becomes more of an issue. The DN9696 is a high capacity & high channel count option and it is not as expensive as you may think. I recently dealt with a system that used 4 x DN9650's with MADI cards and a DN9696 as a recording system for a MADI based console brand. Because that system was still cheaper than a ProTools system of equivalent spec@96K. This is just a recent example.

Lastly, I think you are looking at the internal 'plug-ins' in the wrong way. Each input channel has 4 different compressors available and 4 different types of EQ. All outputs have 5 different compressors and EQ choices. In addition the Generation-II software update adds a significant number of new reverbs, dynamic EQ, delays, chorus etc. We have another effects rack upgrade on the way early next year which will add even more choice. And to clarify we are not in any discussions with TC Electronic at this time.

We have spend a huge amount of time, energy and money making sure the sound of these consoles is up to our very high standards. This includes all the compressors, gates, eq's and effects on the consoles. I honestly suggest you try mixing on the PRO2 before you draw conclusions about the need for external plug-ins. I think you'll be surprised how little you miss them.

Thanks for your time.
tea
6th January 2013
Old 6th January 2013
tea
Gear interested

We just got a Pro2C a couple weeks ago, loving it. Use a DN 9650 with MADI option and connect to an RME MADI card with a MultiMode Fiber cable in a Mac Pro, 64 Ch to Logic. The 9650 +Madi was around $1000. RME card was kinda pricey, I think around $1700. To get that many channels to Logic for less than 3K is pretty amazing to me. Hey Genelec777, can't seem to figure out sending FX returns to Aux Sends (In ear Monitors), any ideas? Thanks
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to ryanojohn
Quote:
Originally Posted by tea View Post
We just got a Pro2C a couple weeks ago, loving it. Use a DN 9650 with MADI option and connect to an RME MADI card with a MultiMode Fiber cable in a Mac Pro, 64 Ch to Logic. The 9650 +Madi was around $1000. RME card was kinda pricey, I think around $1700. To get that many channels to Logic for less than 3K is pretty amazing to me. Hey Genelec777, can't seem to figure out sending FX returns to Aux Sends (In ear Monitors), any ideas? Thanks
Patch your FX outputs to channels instead, and you'll be able to send to all 16 busses, 8 matrices, and 3 mains busses
QRS
25th February 2014
Old 25th February 2014
QRS
Gear maniac

worked on a Pro2 a few weeks ago. same meyersound rig as always.
as a "analog die hard fan" i was shocked how good this board sounds!
just passing signals through with the correct gain setting and maybe a
highpass filter and it´s sounding really great.
turning on the eqs and dynamics is where the fun begins.
hmm, tasty desk - thinking about buying one.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search