Remote recording on a budget.....
[:::caution, long post:::]
Ok all you big-end remote guys; time to give some advice for a guy on the other end of the scale.
This is kinda the sequel to the thread I posted a link to previously, but as that thread has moved onwards, my aims and needs have changed.
The rig I have in mind at the moment, to be saved up for and purchased piece by piece over some time, is as follows (in order of purchase):
1. Rented laptop- Probably the G5's will be out by the time I have the cash for;
2. Digi 002-R, connected (hopefully) by Firewire 800 to the laptop. Would probably use the pre's for less-vital jobs like tom mics, keys or percussion.
3. Presonus Digimax connected via ADAT into the Digi
4. Either a DBX 360 connected via S/PDIF into the 002 or an M-Audio Tampa, also via S/PDIF. I like the DBX because it is two pre's instead of one and I've used one a helluvalot before, but the Tampa also has a reputedly good compressor, which would be quite handy. Any other boxes with A/D and S/PDIF I should look out for?
4. 2xRNCs in a rack from Fletcher- Need I say more?
5. A couple of non A/D outboard pre's going into the line-ins on the 002. I'm thinking right now of a Sebatron unit (2ch), two RNC or, if I can get my hands on one in aus, a Hardy 4ch.
For that matter, if I can spring for a 2nd hand API like what Wiggy's got (had??) then I might be tempted there as well.
6. Behringer Headphone amp and some headphones.
I have used most of this stuff before without any difficulty, and been quite happy with it, but I have the following concerns;
ADAT out: What are some opinions on this format? I know many people crap on S/PDIF, but I've used it quite a bit without complaint, and I can always not use the A/D if it's critical.
Digimax: Gets good reviews, is very versatile, but has anyone here had any real-world experience with it?
Mics- Don't wanna sound spoiled, but I've never had to work with really budget mics; the places I've played at and worked at have always had a fairly good selection, but now I actually have to pay for 'em, what are some good (CHEAP!) items to look at?
I'm already keeping my eyes out for one or 2 Studio Projects B1s, they seem to be well looked upon here, and I'll be getting a D112 for the kick regardless, it's not like they are too expensive.
Probably geet a couple of Senn e609s for guitars, snare, whatever, a couple of 57s as well for same, but what's some good flavour for toms, OH and Bass amp duties?
Any comments on real world things I should look out for? I should mention that I'm also on the lookout for a transformer isolated splitter box, what should I be looking for there in terms of brand, build quality or price? (I'm AU, rememeber)
Cheer in advance!
ExistanceMusic :at: hotmail dot com