Login / Register

BERLIN - PHILARMONIE concert hall. What is the best seat for listen a concert ?
New Reply
Subscribe
GIACOMO-_
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
Gear addict

BERLIN - PHILARMONIE concert hall. Acoustic. Pictures, questions etc...

Around 15th Febraury I will go to Berlin for a Berliner Philarmoniker concert's. (Simon Rattle conductor)

For yours opionion what is the best seat for listen the concerts ? Full orchestral concert.
Philarmonie has beautyfull acoustic, I must buy the ticket very soon and I ensured about doing.

-----------------------------------------------

dtf
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
dtf
Gear maniac

Dear Giacomo,

The big hall in Berlin Philharmonie is a very interesting place. There is a lot to say about the acoustics, especially in the back part of the hall - I wouldn't call it very beautiful, but ingenious it is for sure. If you sit far away you can still hear a lot of detail, but you will loose a lot of dynamics.

I enjoy concerts most in the middle of the B-sections, but not too far back, because you will have a wall behind your head and those reflections can be annoying (C is higher than B).

If you are around, send me a PM, we can meet for a beer if you like!

Best,
Dirk
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Try H
Experience life as a Muso...
GIACOMO-_
23rd December 2011
Old 23rd December 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtf View Post
Dear Giacomo,

The big hall in Berlin Philharmonie is a very interesting place. There is a lot to say about the acoustics, especially in the back part of the hall - I wouldn't call it very beautiful, but ingenious it is for sure. If you sit far away you can still hear a lot of detail, but you will loose a lot of dynamics.

I enjoy concerts most in the middle of the B-sections, but not too far back, because you will have a wall behind your head and those reflections can be annoying (C is higher than B).

If you are around, send me a PM, we can meet for a beer if you like!

Best,
Dirk

Thank you for your suggest, Dirk! Why not ? I send a PM to you, I will go to Berlin 16 Febraury.

"B" seats for me is very good. Wath about "E" ?

23rd December 2011
Old 23rd December 2011
Lives for gear

rear third of A/first third of B gives the best sound with "eyes closed" and especially with singers, piano, other directional soloists. E can have surprisingly good balance and clarity for pure orchestra pieces without soloists, preferably facing the side with basses across the hall, not right below you. If you like to watch the conductor, or are a percussion fetishist, H is good. C and D are very diffuse, not good.
I disagree that Philharmonie has a "beautiful acoustic". It is a decent acoustic in the right spots, nothing spectacular. What made it famous was the Berlin Phil under Karajan.
15th January 2012
Old 15th January 2012
Gear addict

Just buy tickets!

5 min after 8:00 a.m sold out! Incredible!

Available only sector C. Row 10. Better than noting.
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Gear Head

I think I was in B when I saw them 10 years ago. Incredible. Nothing like it.
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

The conductor's chair.
18th January 2012
Old 18th January 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
The conductor's chair.
Absolutely. I always sit right behind it in all halls here in NY. Even the worst halls acoustically are ok front row center. Once got hit by a flying baton, though, when Rostropovich got carried away in a Shostakovich symphony with the NYPO.
GIACOMO-_
16th February 2012
Old 16th February 2012
Gear addict

GIACOMO-_
26th February 2012
Old 26th February 2012
Gear addict

Increbile Philarmonie. Not exist a parallel surface. Also the plans of the pavement are unparallel, all, all the minin surface.

All mic are modular Neumann KM 100. I've seen AB, ORTF and many many spot mics, all KM 100.

Same mics situations at Conzerthaus Berlin, alla Neumann KM100 series, except on violins, with Schoeps and main AB over piano with DPA (or Geffel?)

27th February 2012
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks for posting the photos! Interesting acoustic treatments... How was the concert? Impressions of the performances and the sound in the room? Did all live up to your expectations?

I fly through Frankfurt and/or Munich on occasion these days, but haven't been in Berlin since the "Checkpoint Charlie" days of the late '60s. I'd really like to return...
GIACOMO-_
27th February 2012
Old 27th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav View Post
Thanks for posting the photos! Interesting acoustic treatments... How was the concert? Impressions of the performances and the sound in the room? Did all live up to your expectations?

I fly through Frankfurt and/or Munich on occasion these days, but haven't been in Berlin since the "Checkpoint Charlie" days of the late '60s. I'd really like to return...
Amazing sound and emotional experience! Philarmonie have a perfect acoustic, you can put microphones in every position, you will obtain a good recording, always, sound floats in the air, free and linear, is like being submerged. Wood is spongy, porous. Behind orchestra there are 2 remote/automatic diffusor/bass traps (I think, maybe) that they are opened or closed when necessary.
Simon Rattle is sparkling, expressive, with much charisma. Sound is very similar to the "digital concert hall", the feeling is the same.

Return to Berlino, Harry!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search