My First........Remote Recording Truck
New Reply
Subscribe
Hamburg
22nd May 2011
Old 22nd May 2011
Gear Head

Talking My First........Remote Recording Truck

Today my truck arrived! 22 years old Mercedes Benz. Delivered english furniture to a lot of clients in the north of germany. Now it`s mine! Within a couple of months it will carry fine recording technique and become a remote recording truck capable to record (in the end) 50 analogue lines and one MADI- bus. It will be used as an editingsuite as well in our base in the north of germany. I´ll keep you informed!
Attached Thumbnails
My First........Remote Recording Truck-truck_front.jpg   My First........Remote Recording Truck-truck_interior_empty.jpg  
22nd May 2011
Old 22nd May 2011
Lives for gear

Do keep us posted, I love reading people's project diarys!
23rd May 2011
Old 23rd May 2011
Gear interested

Sweet!!! Keep us updated!!
25th May 2011
Old 25th May 2011
Gear Head

Great news, looking forward to the updates and lots of pics

Steve
Canbury Sound
27th May 2011
Old 27th May 2011
Gear nut

I subscribed to this thread....Good luck!!! Really curious!
28th May 2011
Old 28th May 2011
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Thumbs up Now, you're talkin'

Tremendous!

Keep us posted with pictures of the build-out and continuing updates!
28th May 2011
Old 28th May 2011
Lives for gear

It seems like lately all the folks building trucks and posting here are Euro...? No Amerikanskis building trucks (besides Steve Remote)?

phil p
28th May 2011
Old 28th May 2011
Gear maniac

I'm going to build one but it won't be slutty like those around here. Will be a rolling jam room of sorts... haha, don't ask

https://soundcloud.com/thelondonproject-1/sets/argue-street
Hamburg
5th June 2011
Old 5th June 2011
Gear Head

First steps.....

...the truck needs a fm- radio in drivers cabin. Removed first wallcovers- i was curious how it looks behind them. Everything fine. Will be two days of work to remove all covers. Put some 19" stuff in the truck- just to get a feeling for the dimensions. Then taped some ideas on the floor... The big room is the CTR (of course!!!!), the small one on the right side will contain a 19" serverrack with a door made of glass. This room will have its own aircondition. All equipment with onboard- fans like PCs and ALESIS HD24 will find its place in this rack. The backside of this rack will carry all connectors to the world outside. (like XLR, Video, german broadcast "Siemens 30-pol"- snakes that carry 10 symmetrical lines with separated grounds)
Attached Thumbnails
My First........Remote Recording Truck-radio.jpg   My First........Remote Recording Truck-removing_first_wallcover.jpg   My First........Remote Recording Truck-first_idea_of_controlroom_and_machineroom.jpg   My First........Remote Recording Truck-first_19_inch.jpg  
6th June 2011
Old 6th June 2011
Gear Head

Wonderful

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Hamburg
19th June 2011
Old 19th June 2011
Gear Head

This weekends results: The truck got a fm-radio and two speakers. All wallcovers have been removed. This means 520 blind rivets had to be opened by boring. (Is this the right english expression? If not- please tell me!!!) Aching muscles everywhere...... Monday morning: back to work in the mixing room of a tv- company. Sitting in a chair can be a relief. (Sorry for my bad english!)
Attached Thumbnails
My First........Remote Recording Truck-fm-radio.jpg   My First........Remote Recording Truck-all_wallcovers_removed.jpg  
19th June 2011
Old 19th June 2011
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Your English is fine.

Boring rivets is a boring task, but is must be done!

What are you going to do, now that you have removed the wall panels?
19th June 2011
Old 19th June 2011
Lives for gear

Hamburg, Du Alte, keep us posted! We are all watching your progress. You dropped into the right forum for this project. There are some remote truck geniuses here. You are in good hands.

Hummel-hummel!
19th June 2011
Old 19th June 2011
Gear Head

@ Steve: I am thinking about the construction of the walls. Wondering if my idea will work and low frequencies from traffic won`t get in and low frequencies from the monitors won`t get out
And: I have to put the outside- part of the aircondition under the truck- thinking of a bin for it

@ boojum: Thank you for your support- what I am doing now is a thing I should have done 25 years ago. Have been thinking about this project for a very long time. Hummel hummel- mors mors!
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
Gear maniac

keep this thread updated and full of new pictures. i love remote truck buildout projects.
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
Lives for gear

Hamburg, what's happeing? How is it coming? Was ist hierlos; was machst du den?? The Ami's want to know.
Hamburg
28th July 2011
Old 28th July 2011
Gear Head

After a break of four weeks ......

A lot of work kept me busy- so my truck had to wait for the next step. Now we received a delivery of 300 kg of 12mm wood. This will be the first layer of wallcover- in combination with 30 mm of hemp. I expect to get the hemp by monday. Its hollidaytime in germany- so sometimes you have to wait for deliveries. By the way: Who is experienced in using glass- walls for isolating drums on stage? I think I`ll need some advice........
Attached Thumbnails
My First........Remote Recording Truck-wood_first_delivery.jpg  
28th July 2011
Old 28th July 2011
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Glass walls?

Hemp?

Please explain further.

Thanks!
28th July 2011
Old 28th July 2011
Lives for gear

Hamburg, you must panel it with English oak and have an ornate plaster ceiling and parquet floors like the English antique furniture used to have, otherwise the mojo will be lost.

Roger
29th July 2011
Old 29th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Glass walls?

Hemp?

Please explain further.

Thanks!
Steve - I am sure Hamburg is talking woven hemp as an insulator; ditto the glass (fiber). But you knew that! It sounds like a good project and being of German stock myself I can say that this fellow is doing it in a German manner: little or nothing is left to chance. Kind of like your rigs. ;o)
29th July 2011
Old 29th July 2011
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

I've been using Rockwool on my last two trucks.
I wonder what the density of woven hemp is as an insulator.

I get the feeling he may be talking about those "Clearsonics" baffles, but you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
Steve - I am sure Hamburg is talking woven hemp as an insulator; ditto the glass (fiber). But you knew that! It sounds like a good project and being of German stock myself I can say that this fellow is doing it in a German manner: little or nothing is left to chance. Kind of like your rigs. ;o)
Hamburg
29th July 2011
Old 29th July 2011
Gear Head

@ Steve: Yes- I`m talking about woven hemp.

Thermo-Hanf - der natürliche Dämmstoff für ökologisches Bauen

In germany we sometimes use it to isolate buildings. The density and the weight of "Thermo- Hanf" (so it`s called in germany) is similar to rockwool. I want to use hemp in my truck because I`m afraid of the fact that rockwool might possibly cause bad diseases. I used rockwool for more than 20 years for building studios and now I will try a new way. Especially for people with allergic diseases.

On the pictures you can see basstraps I built by using hemp.

Glass: perhaps I used the wrong english word: I was looking for an manufacturer of glass- or fiberglass- walls in order to prevent drumsounds from leaking into other mics on stage.

I didn`t know clearsonics yet- but that`s what I was looking for. I just found a german dealer for clearsonic. Thank you for your help!

@ Rolo 46: Yes of course the last (visible) layer will be fine old wood. I want to keep the mystery of the truck!
Hamburg
29th July 2011
Old 29th July 2011
Gear Head

And here are the pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
My First........Remote Recording Truck-basstraps_hemp_1_small.jpg   My First........Remote Recording Truck-basstraps_hemp_2_small.jpg  
Hamburg
4th August 2011
Old 4th August 2011
Gear Head

Thursday-08-04-2011

Today finally I got a delivery of woven hemp. thickness 30mm. each roll is 600mm wide and 10m long. By the end of the day the front wall and the right wall have been covered with the first layer of hemp and wood. The left wall will follow tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
My First........Remote Recording Truck-hemp_arrived_01.jpg   My First........Remote Recording Truck-hemp_arrived_2.jpg   My First........Remote Recording Truck-first_layer_of_wood_and_hemp.jpg   My First........Remote Recording Truck-first_layer_of_wood_and_hemp2.jpg   My First........Remote Recording Truck-starting_right_wall.jpg  

My First........Remote Recording Truck-todays_work.jpg  
Hamburg
18th August 2011
Old 18th August 2011
Gear Head

Work on ceiling in progress. First layer is 40mm of hemp and 12mm of wood. In the second picture ceiling 1st layer is finished. I tried to simulate the different rooms. 1st on the left will be a 19" rack with a height of 2 meters. this rack will carry all machines with fans like HD 24 and 3 PCs. It will have its own aircondition. The second part is a small vocal booth. I am doing a lot of voice- over- jobs for TV and I don`t want to use the drivers cab. The big room will be the controlroom. Its dimensions will be 2,10 meters wide, 4 meters long and height about 2,20 meters.
Attached Thumbnails
My First........Remote Recording Truck-work_on_ceiling_in_progress_1st_layer_of_hemp_and_wood.jpg   My First........Remote Recording Truck-ceiling_1st_layer_finished_1st_impression_of_walls.jpg  
Hamburg
21st August 2011
Old 21st August 2011
Gear Head

Due to strange weather conditions I played with my computer and with SketchUp. I tried to paint my ideas- and here is the result:

On the left side you can see a room for connectors and cabledrums. This room is 0.5m deep and has a height of 1.20 meters. Above this height you can see an airconditioned room for PCs and HD24s and other stuff with fans. (blue in my sketch) In the middle of the sketch you find a small vocal booth with the dimensions 1.20m x 1.20m. This room contains a small working desk, a HDMI- flatscreen and a Neumann U87 Ai for narration and voiceover.

The big room on the right side is the ControlRoom CTR- 2.10m wide and 4.00m deep- on its right side you can find the desk (depending on customers/ producers wish) and a penthouse containing 4 x 19" (each one has a height of 8 Units)
Attached Thumbnails
My First........Remote Recording Truck-layout_03.jpg   My First........Remote Recording Truck-layout_02.jpg   My First........Remote Recording Truck-layout_01.jpg  
21st August 2011
Old 21st August 2011
Lives for gear

Small question--in your Sketchup pix you have the board/console right up against the wall. Don't you want to leave at least a crawl space there to you can get at all the connectors on the rear of the console? Also, having the console so close to the wall puts your face right in the speakers--wouldn't you want some distance from them? Of do you have another room on the other side of the board that your drawing doesn't show?

phil p
Hamburg
22nd August 2011
Old 22nd August 2011
Gear Head

Hello philper- this is a mistake in my drawing. Of course there has to be some space between the console and the wall- for wiring and for a propriate distance to the speakers. There is no additional room- the other side of the wall is the drivers cabin. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
My First........Remote Recording Truck-layout_05.jpg   My First........Remote Recording Truck-layout_06.jpg   My First........Remote Recording Truck-layout_07.jpg  
22nd August 2011
Old 22nd August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburg View Post
Hello philper- this is a mistake in my drawing. Of course there has to be some space between the console and the wall- for wiring and for a propriate distance to the speakers. There is no additional room- the other side of the wall is the drivers cabin. Thank you!
I was wondering....could you do this without a console? With pres and a much smaller monitor mix setup? It would make the interior so much more spacious and flexible for different sorts of jobs...

phil p
22nd August 2011
Old 22nd August 2011
Lives for gear

My friend who does small radio OBs from his truck, has a 4WD forward control Land Rover Ambulance that was air dropable.
He has a smallish Mackie ,PMCs and outboard FX and Rec and can go anywhere( ish)
He still has the Red Crosses on it.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search